PDA

View Full Version : Ok, got the new boat on the water today.....

fastlx
09-22-2008, 05:23 PM
Ok, I took out my new 08 Mobius LS today for the first time. I went out alone to start the break in. I was out almost 3 hours and what a great boat. Now for a few questions:

I lifted the motor box and noticed water in the bottom. It was almost halfway up the drain plug (probably an inch or so). Is this normal? I turned the bilge on and nothing came out.

Also, I filled and emptied the rear ballast which really changed the wake. How do you know if it is completly empty? It stopped spitting water so I turned it off. A while later, I hit empty again and more water came out. Is this normal?

The manual says not to tow anyone until after 10 hours. Did you do this with your boat? I want to break it in right, but also want to have some fun.

Any help would be great. Thanks for your input.

Sled491
09-22-2008, 11:09 PM
Water in the bilge is normal, no worries.

Bags get krinkles and have puddle spots, very difficult to get all water out. You should wait a bit before pulling.

Pulling even at the 18 - 22 mph is a big strain with the ballast bags full. Be paitent, it will pay dividends in trouble free use and adds years to the life of your engine

yearround
09-23-2008, 10:24 AM
the bags are always difficlut to get all the water out. usually a couple gallons left in mine.

i pulled my kids on the kneeboard in the first ten hours, they are less stain than a boat full of people. but i agree with sled, wait the time, follow the manual for break in.

enjoy the ride!

04OUTBACK
09-23-2008, 10:32 AM
If the bilge did not come on, but there was water in, you may want to check it.
There is a knob on it that manually triggers the float switch.. try that to make sure the pump comes on.. often times on a new boat, there is carpet fibers and fiberglass pieces that get in there...

Just watch the water.. Do you have the Dripless shaft seal? You should not get much water at all if you have a dripless seal..

kipp
09-24-2008, 09:38 PM
I have a 2008 LS and the rear tank is a tank not a bag. What I do is turn the pump off after the first time it spits, then turn it back on 30 seconds later and repeat this 2 or three times.

Razzman
09-24-2008, 11:05 PM
Check the ballast valves while on, i found mine were leaking quite a bit when filling as they are just hand tight and vibrated loose! Check all your drain plugs, the manifold drain hoses on mine were leaking from day one! With everything tight and the dripless shaft seal you should have virtually no water in the bilge except what gets in my normal use, splashover, wet peeps, tubes, etc.

We went out friday through Sunday and finally on Sunday afternoon the bilge pump spit out water and that was after manually turning it on, not even enough to auto turn on.