PDA

View Full Version : rash guard shirt?

moombadaze
09-17-2008, 07:46 AM
what is it and what does it do?

MrsZ
09-17-2008, 07:57 AM
Its a thin shirt that is comfortable to wear in the water. If you are surfing it keeps your nips from getting rubbed raw while laying on the board! All the kids were wearing them at swimming classes this summer. Helps with sunburn too! Sports Authority here has them on sale now.

moombadaze
09-17-2008, 08:08 AM
so that was what those shirts were.

"keeps your nips from getting rubbed raw":rolleyes:

wolfeman131
09-17-2008, 08:33 AM
nuttin' worse than raw nips!

moombadaze
09-17-2008, 10:07 AM
never had a problem with wearing a white shirt under a life jacket its just they streech so much. going to go to sports authority to check em out for all of us. thanks.

Ed, the shirt you had on was black-was it not hot to wear?

and-
"I once ran a 12 miler wearing a white t-shirt and by the time I got home, I had a red #11 on the front."--all i can say is OUCH

kaneboats
09-17-2008, 11:53 AM
I got it bad using a body board once. Ouch! I wear one in the boat all the time for the UV protection. Wish it covered my nose too.

04OUTBACK
09-17-2008, 01:36 PM
I love them in fall and spring as they dry fast and block wind a bit.
I usually wear one under wetsuit too .. for comfort.

They are also being marketed for SPF these days!

I wore one a on labor day.. it was overcast/breezy (Gustav was on the way)..
it was a bit warm at first, but once it gets wet its nice..

But as mentioned above, i believe they originated in Surf world for "Nip" protection on the surf boards..

zegm
09-17-2008, 02:14 PM
Yeah a couple of years ago we bought some surfboards and hit the beach for a few hours. I noticed that all the "dudes" were wearing these tight nylon looking shirts. I thought this must be a "surfer dude" thing. Well I didn't want to be hot just to be "cool"! I even saw a couple of females wearing them. But I was too busy trying to catch the perfect wave to give it much thought. When I got back in the truck and pulled my t-shirt on I cried out very loud!!! Oooooochhhhhh!!!! I couldn't even sleep on my stomach that night! Needless to say I am the proud owner of a nice dark blue Body Glove Rash Guard now!!!

I guess the word Rash Guard just sounded better to the marketing folks than Nipple Protectors!

Sled491
09-17-2008, 07:23 PM
My 2 youngest wear them all the time. They are great for SPF protection. I use mine for under my wet suit for diving, makes it easier to get the suit on and off. If you are looking for some cool colors and long and short sleeve option just check with your local dive shop. For you Floridians try Divers Direct or Force E scuba.

zegm
09-17-2008, 08:29 PM
I also saw some on a website recently where I was looking for Paddle Johns, they were loose fit and with some of the beer belly issues that some of us have (of course not me!) maybe we would (not me) be more inclined to wear a rash guard. Something about the tight fit made me decide if this was the apparell I wanted to be wearing around all the surfer chicks (my wife!!!, who did you think?).