PDA

View Full Version : Kenwood help

kaneboats
09-15-2008, 03:48 PM
I have an old KDC 416s that keeps cutting out. The unit just goes dead and then you can restart it after a little while (as if it is cooling off). It isn't blowing the fuse though. I was wondering if anyone knows if there is an internal heat switch in it or something simple-- it's about time to replace the unit anyway but I thought I'd ask if anyone knows something about this unit. The connections are all OK. Thanks!

Tyger
09-18-2008, 07:42 PM
I have a KDC-X4xx (can't remember exact model), but I had the same problem with the factory head unit. What happens on mine is that (basically) when the sound gets too high, it will kick off for a couple seconds then kick back on. If you can turn the volume down and it stops, then you have the same issue.

This is a safety feature, however it does seem to be over-active. In my case, however, my tower speakers were wired completely wrong, which was overloading the head unit. Once I re-wired the existing wires more correctly, I was able to turn up the volume pretty substantially. However, I need to run two more sets of wires up into the tower (maybe a winter project if I can fit it in) in order to really be correctly wired and use all of my four channel amp. I've also noticed that the bass level really seems to make a difference, so if I have a bass-heavy song I need to turn down the bass on the head unit to keep it from cutting out at a reasonable sound level.

kaneboats
09-19-2008, 01:28 PM
Mine would cut out whether it was playing loud or not. I rechecked all the connections last night. I think I found a loose ground wire where it enters the plug that goes in the back of the unit. I wedged a real short piece of stiff copper wire into the joint as a temporary fix and squeezed it in with the needle nose. Over the winter I am going to re-check everything and solder all the connections. I'll get a better fix at that time. We'll see this weekend if that was it or not. I think the back of the unit where the connector plug goes in was bumping the steering cable. I adjusted the unit's position too. We'll see if that does it.