PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Rippin' on the River tournament pictures

helix_rider
09-13-2008, 10:03 PM
I have posted the pictures from last Sunday's Marine Outfitters tournament in Charleston, TN. Enjoy! :)

Click on the 'View dotPhoto Show' for a slideshow with music.

http://barnhurst.dotphoto.com/CPViewAlbum.asp?AID=5514939

gsi09907
09-21-2008, 07:33 PM
Very nice Photo's, glad to see you out at the tourney's this year.....

cab13367
09-21-2008, 09:12 PM
Great pics! What camera and lens did you use?

helix_rider
09-22-2008, 04:46 PM
Thanks cab, I have the now 'old' Canon 30D, using the 70-200mm/F4 lens. I absolutely love my camera, there are some quirks I struggle with, and some technique issues that I jump back and forth on (shoot in RAW or jpeg, use manual or auto focus, shoot aperature or shutter priority, etc). It seems like the conditions will change midway through a shoot...and I don't have the skills yet to notice when that change occurs :)

cab13367
09-22-2008, 11:27 PM
Thanks cab, I have the now 'old' Canon 30D, using the 70-200mm/F4 lens. I absolutely love my camera, there are some quirks I struggle with, and some technique issues that I jump back and forth on (shoot in RAW or jpeg, use manual or auto focus, shoot aperature or shutter priority, etc). It seems like the conditions will change midway through a shoot...and I don't have the skills yet to notice when that change occurs :)

I was hoping you would say that! IS or non-IS? I have an XTi body with a 28-70mm Sigma lens and I am looking to get a good medium telephoto and have been thinking about getting the exact lens that you are using. Good to see some examples of what it can do. I think your pics look great.

Thanks,

Al

helix_rider
09-23-2008, 12:41 PM
It is the non-IS version...~$600 new from reputable dealers like B&H. I have nothing but praise for the /F4 lens, especially for someone on a budget. Sure, the IS would be nice...so would the /F2.8...but I just can't argue how for the average user its worth $1000+ more. With this lens, if you have the right light, the pictures are astounding. At some competitions, its tough because you get the good morning light (only on 1 pass though, the other is right into the sun), but during midday, the light gets flat and its hard to avoid the shadows on the rider. I don't think those constraints would be avoided with the more expensive lenses. Anyway, IMO you can't go wrong with the 70-200/F4.

cab13367
09-23-2008, 03:09 PM
Agreed, the non-IS is what I am considering. Good to know that your photos were taken with the non-IS lens.

Thanks,

Al