PDA

View Full Version : Season-Ending Injury

canuckskier
09-12-2008, 04:18 PM
Well, It's inevitable, ski long enough, and hard enough, you will get hurt.

Last night I was skiing through the course, and fell in such a way that my foot came part-way out of my front binding (dual approach bindings), then my tip got caught on the next ass-over-teakettle, and tried to get my foot out with no success. Long story short, I completely broke 3 Metatarsals (the bones on the top of your foot), and am going for surgery to get some "hardware" as the surgeon put it installed, no weight on the foot for 8 weeks.

The moral of this story is this: when I put on my bindings I usually snug them up tight, then put on my gloves, talk to the driver to make sure the perfect pass etc is good to go, and then tighten them even more, well, we were in a hurry, and I forgot to tighten my boots that final time, and figured I would do it in the water after I finished my first pass and stopped to shorten the rope. BIG mistake, I have read alot of articles about binding safety, and have come to this conclusion, either make them so tight, they are unlikely to come off, or loose enough, they will come off with some ease. I figure if I had taken the time to do either of those, I would be out at the lake skiing again today instead of hobbling around on crutches.

Hope this helps someone else avoid injury! ski and board safe!

Cheers

smokedog2
09-12-2008, 04:28 PM
yea, my son is playing football. Gal at work, her son plays and is out for the season. Broke his jaw riding his bike.

I always worry but the x-box does not make fighter pilots.

Good thing you have a nice boat to drive.

tprkolbas
09-12-2008, 04:32 PM
in know how you feel. i wasn't ready for my season to be over, but my knee saw it otherwise. at least it is september and not may. plan for a big comeback!

jester
09-12-2008, 09:08 PM
Dang that sucks. The only plus to being on crutches for any amount of time is it is a great upper body workout. It also works other parts of the body as you try and not to fall over everything. Good luck on the added hardware.

fastlx
09-12-2008, 11:36 PM
I had a season ending injury 3 weeks ago. I went out to this beautiful lake (lake cushman, wa) for a day in the sun with my family and friends. I have always been the driver of the boat. I had a 175 bayliner and had only been out on a tube 2 times in 2 years. Well, 3rd time is a charm. I decided to bring the sumo tube which had never been used. My 14 year old daughter tried it first and liked it. I decided to give it a shot since my friend was in the boat with me and he has been boating all his life. Well, to cut this short, I was having the time of my life on this tube. My friend said we were doing 28-30 mph when he missed seeing the 8" around, 18" tall dead head sticking out. He did not see it until the last minute as he passed it with the boat. He immediately let off the gas to turn around and see me hit it head first.......Lucky for me, I saw it at the last second and put my left arm up. I think it would have killed me had I not deflected some of the impact to my arm. I hit hard with my arm/head breaking my arm/wrist and brusing my face. Lucky I am!!!! So, a few days later, my wife/kids cleaned the boat up for what they thought was to put up for the winter....wrong!!!! I put it up on craigslist and sold it 2 days later. Thus the reason for me being here. I decided to upgrade and just brough home my 2008 Mobius LS today. Took forever to get it in the garage (tandem axle) but its there. I hope to start breaking in the motor next week so its ready to go next season. Anyway, be careful out there!!!!!!!!

Littlena
09-13-2008, 09:51 AM
Fast welcome to the family and all, but what, I don't even want to post the words pulls a device meant for 20 mph at 30mph? Dude you were almost killed! What if it was a child without the presence to react the way you did!

I've had my share of injuries skiing before, that happens, but driver error is no good and I'm being kind here.

fastlx
09-13-2008, 10:50 AM
Littlena, I agree 200%!!!!!!!!! Im glad it was me and not one of the kids.