PDA

View Full Version : Trailer jack wheel question

mnpracing
09-12-2008, 09:40 AM
I've noticed on my single axle trailer for my Outback V that the jack wheel does not pivot very well. When I try to move it around my garage the jack wheel does not pivot correctly, and it ends up sliding/skipping sideways as I push the boat. I have to use another jack to get the wheel off the ground, pivot the jack wheel, then set it back down and push the trailer the direction I want to push the trailer.

Anyone else know how to correct this?

silverski
09-12-2008, 10:30 AM
A couple of suggestions.

First, after you unhook the trailer, lower the tongue back down a ways. I've noticed that the wheel will pivot much easier if the jack is not extended as far. When the jack is not extended, there is less flex in the jack and the wheel will pivot.

Second, I burned through a jack after the first 2 years as I trailer and manuever into a garage space quite a bit. I replaced it with a tandem wheel jack system. The new one seems to work quite a bit better and has a little higher weight rating.

04OUTBACK
09-12-2008, 12:36 PM
SilverSki,
was it easy to replace? Mine is slightly worn and is a bit angled when jacked up all the way.. I store on gravel so rolling is not an option, but i am afraid it is gonna go one day..

silverski
09-12-2008, 01:20 PM
04 Outback

Easy to replace. Just four bolts if I remember correctly. I replaced with a Fulton dual wheel model, but I would guess that the bolt patters would be the same with all models? The original became very difficult to turn to the point that I actually snapped the gears. Luckily I already had the replacement in the garage as I had intended to change it out.