PDA

View Full Version : low oil pressure

bouchy19
09-12-2008, 01:10 AM
#1 Today, 12:14 AM
bouchy19
Junior Member Join Date: Aug 2008

low oil pressure

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well I may have got myself in some costly trouble. I own a 2004 outback LSV, 245hrs. A few days ago after a week out at the cabin I noticed my oil pressure was reading lower than normal. ( less than 20), but everything was running fine. I had an hour ride back to the dock, and keeping a close eye at my guages, the oil pressure remained low(this was the day after i first noticed it so the engine had been shut down and cooled since), and everything ran great. @ days later after a long tow home, i loaded the boat back in the water. I noticed the guage still ran low. I left in idle for a few minuted to warm up, then noticed now my temperature was nowrunning way to high. Any Ideas??, think there related??..sure hope not. Any input would be great. Thanx

bergermaister
09-12-2008, 01:26 AM
Troubling for sure...

I'd start by hooking a secondary manual oil pressure gauge to it and checking it out. Indmar engines are based on a small block Chevy and there should be an oil pressure outlet right behind the edge of the manifold near the distributor. On the v-drive that would be on the starboard side.

Hopefully it's just a bad sending unit or a bad gauge and is an easy fix.

If it is still problematic with higher or lower than normal pressure then you've got some further digging to do. Confirming the actual pressure with a different gauge would be a good starting point though.

cgriebs
09-13-2008, 06:34 PM
Water in oil? Check the oil and make sure it's not milky. This condition could reduce oil pressure enough to give a low read.

I just witnessed a locked up motor that had a bad manifold, which was leaking (salt) water inside one of the cylinders. The owner mentioned low oil pressure (water in oil) as his first tell tale sign of the problem, which got worse until the motor started to run real bad. We pulled the plugs one by one until we spotted the affected cylinder - the spark plug was fairly rusty (the boat was left on the mooring for a few days allowing the plug to rust). Once the plug was out, the machine would turn over. He's replacing the manifold as I write this. He's hoping he doesn't have a bent rod. Ouch.

mccreatr
09-18-2008, 12:03 PM
I would call up your best friend, have him help you change your impeller, add 3 lts of oil then go buy him a burger for lunch. After that I would give him unlimited wakeboards for the rest of the year for fixing your boat! Glad I could help.

bouchy19
09-18-2008, 03:18 PM
It would get really expensive pulling him for the whole year for a number of reasons:
1. Lotta weight to pull
2. Takes 4 tries to get him up due to lack of skill level
3. Allways have to use my boat cause its soooo much better.

Guess ill just pay a mechanic next time..waaay cheaper.

mccreatr
09-18-2008, 11:26 PM
It would get really expensive pulling him for the whole year for a number of reasons:
1. Lotta weight to pull
2. Takes 4 tries to get him up due to lack of skill level
3. Allways have to use my boat cause its soooo much better.

Guess ill just pay a mechanic next time..waaay cheaper.

I guess we are no longer friends then and I will just use my boat... it is much nicer with WAY less hours anyway! :p

Sled491
09-19-2008, 10:33 PM
Man you 2 are still at it, but still funny.

So I never noticed bouchy mentioning that he checked his oil level at the onset of this problem. But at idle your temp starts to rise too high, sounds like someone sold you there headache. Drain the oil and pay attention to it, look for water of course but also any pcs of anything that shouldn't be there just to give you a hint as where to start.

bouchy19
09-21-2008, 12:54 AM
thanx for the input. turns out was just faulty impeller...phew..

Sled491
09-21-2008, 09:19 AM
Still don't see what that would have to do with oil pressure. That explains the overheating at idle at the dock but not your original concern.

mccreatr
09-25-2008, 09:49 AM
Man you 2 are still at it, but still funny.

...sounds like someone sold you there headache.

Yah... I told him it was a lemon but he didn't want to believe me. Now he expects me to fix it for him all the time. Should have bought a Mobius!

Sled491
09-25-2008, 08:32 PM
With friends like that who needs a hobby! :)