PDA

View Full Version : Surfing on an LS

Garn
09-10-2008, 03:59 PM
I have on 07 LS with the engine in the middle of the boat. I ONLY have the one ballast tank in the rear of the boat (I forget how much weight it adds). I do NOT have the front ballast. So my question is will my one ballast tank create big enough wakes to surf one? I don't want to buy a surfboard only to find out I don't have a big enough wake.

Thanks,

Garn

04OUTBACK
09-10-2008, 05:03 PM
Garn,
You will need to get an extra fat sac to be able to surf.
With your factory tank full, you should be able to get a 500-750lb sac and put next to the engine surfside (side you will be surfing on). Ed G was surfing a plenty with his outback and had a great setup.. maybe he'll chime in.

There are some others on here surfing with an LS and Outback, but you will need an extra sac. Good thing about a direct drive is the floor space is great for the extra sac..

Definitely a surfable boat! Same hull as my LSV. Just sack it out and you'll be there. Also make sure any peeps in the boat sit on the same side as the weight.

zegm
09-10-2008, 05:09 PM
Garn,

We have an 08 LS with the stock rear ballast tank and no other ballast. My wife and my son have thrown the rope in the boat several times. We are using a 5'6" Liquid Force Venture though.

Hydrofoiljunky
09-10-2008, 07:23 PM
Garn, I have the same exact boat, same exact ballast. I was able to go ropeless but not for long, these guys know their stuff, One sac at 750lbs, would do alot. I've noticed playing with the wakeplate made a big difference for me on how I was able to keep my speed up on the board. You guys were right though, Surfing is alot of fun, too bad it's 50 degrees outside today, is Winter here already?????

zegm
09-10-2008, 09:28 PM
hydrofoil, no I think it was 92F out today.
We have noticed that playing with the wakeplate and the speed makes a big difference in the wake. And I cannot argue that putting more ballast in the boat can only make it better.

Sled491
09-11-2008, 01:28 AM
Garn, we've been able to surf with simply using my scuba gear and a tank for balast. Don't get me wrong behind big boats with big ballast it's a different world, but that doesn't mean you can't surf with less.