PDA

View Full Version : Hit a dead-head in the water

hotstore
09-10-2008, 11:44 AM
Hi everyone:
Although I've never posted on here as I have had few problems with my 2004 Mobius lsv, I always read the posts. I was out cruising on Christina Lake B.C. and must have hit a dead-head (log) floating under the water. I noticed that the boat was taking on more water than usual, but wasen't sure why. I took it out of the water last week and looked underneath and didn't like what I saw. There is a crack in the hull about 6 inches long and the jell-coat is showing light cracking for about 6 feet. Can I repair the crack Myself with some kind of fiberglass patch?. The boat is about 150 miles from any boat body shop (my boat mechanic close but doesn't do body work. As far as cosmetics go it is under the boat and would never be seen in the water. The crack is not very wide, but I can feel the seperation with my fingernail. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Rick McQ.

smokedog2
09-10-2008, 09:28 PM
I'd look for a boat guy to check prop alignment, fins, hull integrity etc. A self patch will look like a self patch.

I might also pour some water in the boat to be sure the leak is where you think it is.

That is quite a thwap to not take out a piece of prop as well.

JesseC
09-10-2008, 11:39 PM
I would do like smokedog says and fill the bilge with some water while it is on the trailer. You may have bent the shaft and water is coming past the packing nut. Did you notice any vibrations after hitting the log?

zabooda
09-11-2008, 01:19 AM
Let your insurance company take care of it. It will save you money in the long run.

hotstore
09-11-2008, 05:25 PM
You guys are probably right, one of my main problems is that I live 400 miles from where the boat is stored and won't be out there again until the spring. There was no noticable vibrations and everything else worked well. I wonder if something on the highway could've bounced up and hit it. But again not sure. I will take it in and have the experts look at it, as I do love my boat.
Thanks

hotstore
09-11-2008, 05:57 PM
Oh yea:
The mechanic did lift the trailer and baot up to drain whatever water was in there and said there was lots, but none was leaking out when I drove it over to him, but again i will get it checked. I guess BOAT does reallly mean bring on another thousand.

Spicer318
09-22-2008, 12:25 PM
I got lucky this weekend as well and took out one of my blades on a rock at the boat ramp. Anyone have a clue what prop is factory on a 2001 Mobius LS?