PDA

View Full Version : surf board review

moombadaze
09-09-2008, 08:41 AM
what board do you have and how do you like it compared to other boards you have ridden.

csmsk
09-09-2008, 10:23 AM
I have a new Walker Project G3 Composite X 5.0. The only other board I've ridden is an '04 Hyperlite Landlock. I could never get slack on the Landlock (I'm 6'4" - 210lbs.) but am getting quite good on the Walker. I really like the way this board carves. It's the lightest board I've seen and very fast.

http://www.thewalkerproject.com/v/vspfiles/photos/08-WAKE2-2.jpg

deafgoose
09-09-2008, 10:52 AM
My first surf board was a CWB Razr. It was easy to learn on but was very sluggish. I also found the board slow. It required me to always lean over my front foot to get slack in the rope.

My second board was a Phase5 Drew Daniello Pro and its very loose and crazy responsive but not very forgiving. It’s great for trying 180’s, 360’s because of the tiny single fin.

My 3rd board was the Hyperlite broadcast 5'6" and I am having a blast with it. The three rear fins are huge so it’s very stable. I don’t need to fill my 725lb single ballast and I can make mistakes and recover no problem.

sandm
09-09-2008, 05:18 PM
started out on a broadcast 5'6". very stable and easy to learn on. seems slow now, but I still pull it out occasionally. took 2 of the 3 fins off and made it a little looser, but overall, a good beginner board.
currently riding an inland surfer 4-skim in pink. it's really fast and spins like crazy. if you start out on the top of the wake, when coming down, it's hard to keep it from spinning on ya. great board and have had a lot of fun on it, but hoping to add a phaze5 next spring to the arsenal. never ridden one, but have heard great things about them.

btw ed-g... great looking board :)

csmsk
09-09-2008, 05:30 PM
Ed, Thats awesome!!! Love the custom paint!

choard
09-10-2008, 01:39 PM
I have got an Inland Surfer Red Tide board which I learned on and still like alot. I have surfed the Landlock and Broadcast but both seems pretty sluggish now. What I really enjoy doing now is surfing a variety of real surfboards. We play with an old BIC 7'3" a 6"6" short board and a 7S Superfish XL. The BIC and 7S board are great for the real surf feel and I can move my feet all over the board and practice for when I hit Maui next.

Cory

bergermaister
09-16-2008, 04:56 PM
So you guys have me wondering what to put on my Christmas list now!

I've only surfed 3-4 times on a couple smaller boards (4'9" and can't recall the other). The wider 4'9" board was much easier to ride and had a larger sweet spot. Regardless, I am loving it and have rode no handle for up to about 30 seconds so far.

This has been behind a 2008 Malibu Wakesetter that throws a tsunami wake when fully loaded and dragging the wedge but for my family we're not quite that radical. I've got an 01 Mobius V with 500lb of hard tanks in the rear only so I'm looking for a wake surf geared toward the entry/intermediate rider on a smaller wake. Plus I'm not ready to drop $800 on a surf!

The Walker Project G3 Composite X 5.0 looks like a pretty sweet board (nice photo Sled) and the yellow flame color scheme actually matches my boat nicely too. I'm 6'3", 200lbs so I think the bigger board is good for me. I'm guessing the same larger board behind my boat will work well for the kids too who are much lighter than me and more novice as well?

(The Red Woody looks like a good option too but a little more $$)

Thanks-
Berg

Sled491
09-16-2008, 08:05 PM
Berg,

I got my X5 for fathers day, but to tell you the truth my wife and her sister ride it better than me. So a couple of 115 lbders, and myself a 190 lbder covers a pretty broad spectrum. Oh yeah, my buddy goes 240 easy and he learned to surf on my board as well, so my vote would would be for the Walker Project board. But any of the A list boards are going to be good. All I know for sure is that the guys buying the learner boards such as the CWB Ride and the like outgrow them within a season.

sandm
09-16-2008, 08:30 PM
^ agree. I got tired of our broadcast in 2 months of surfing. the smaller boards are a whole lot more fun once you get the hang of it and can surf for long distances without the rope..
it is nice to have the broadcast for teaching noobs though. have seen too many try to learn on my island surfer and it slips out from under them too easily..

sailing217
09-18-2008, 01:57 PM
x2 agree that we outgrew my broadcast 4.9 very quickly but bring it along when newbies are in the boat.

We then progressed to Inland Blue Lake that you can carve and cruise all day long on. 100-220lb riders. Very fast. Hard to carve a 360 even with short fins--you don't spin this board you carve it.

Just picked up a Phase 5 icon that is rated for 160lbs max rider, I think it's 4'3". At 150lbs it's the perfect size for me and I love it. I'm surprised on how fast it is considering it's flat skim board shape. It weighs half of what the broadcast is. I'd like to compare it to the Drew model to see what the difference is.

I think a great advanced hybrid board that you won't outgrow is the Walker Project G3 Composite X 5.0 that started the thread. I see alot of riders at competitions riding the smaller 4.5 version. No personal experience though.

For an entry level board with a bit more growth time is I just rode the 09' Obrian Skim style 4.6 board (forgot the name). Just like the Broadcast 4.9 but faster and can stay in the pocket better. You can spin it better too. I also rode the Obrian TT which is almost like a wakeskate and my review is it's a bigger wakeskate and doesn't fall into either surf or skim category. I'd probably stick with a skim style board as spins are more predictible.

cab13367
09-20-2008, 11:32 PM
I've got a React Drive and just love it. It's really light, buoyant, and super fast. It's only 4'-6" but I can easily freeride on it and I weigh 180 and am new to wakesurfing. My son loves it as well but it's so fast that he has to stand way, way back on the board or else he has to constantly ride with all his weight on his back foot to keep from ramming the back of the boat.

Other boards I've ridden are the CWB Ride 5'-3", Hyperlite Broadcast 5'-6", Hyperlite Coex 4-4", and an LF Venture 5'-0". All these boards feel and ride like they're made out of lead compared to the React boards. If you are looking to spend $450 - $500 on a high end board, React should definitely be on your shopping list.

See my other post titled "Awesome New Wakesurf Board Co." in this forum for more on the company as well as pics of their boards in action.

Al