PDA

View Full Version : 2008 LSV single axel trailer?

.264 magnum
09-09-2008, 12:46 AM
Our LSV came with a single axel trailer.

We keep the LSV slipped on a lift nearly always. A few times per year we will tow the boat maybe even once or twice to Broken Bow OK which is 185 miles away.

We will use a 2004 4x4 Tahoe.

My dealer will allow us to trade in the single axel for a tandem for ~$1,100. Should I save the coin of get the tandem?

zabooda
09-09-2008, 02:01 AM
Save the coin and have a spare tire.

moombadaze
09-09-2008, 07:09 AM
ive used both trailers now with my 08 lsv. dealer did not have double when boat was bought so he let me use the single till mine came in. all i can say is there is a world of difference in how smooth the double pulls. even if you get the double you would still need a spare. one thing the single has 16' 6 lug wheels and the double has 14' 5 lug wheels.

Kelsey
09-09-2008, 07:49 AM
The double axle will have much less "swing" when towing. Single axle trailers cause a small movement of the wheel to be a big movement in the trailer.

yearround
09-09-2008, 09:16 AM
Save the coin and have a spare tire.

i agree with zabooda, for as little as you tow, use the single. if you are concerned about resale later, then i think the tandom would be the way. i would not even consider a single for myself. but i tow more than 3000 mile/year.

gsi09907
09-09-2008, 06:15 PM
I towe every weekend and only have a single axle, no problems and no sway plus you can push it in and out of the tight garage easier

double is probably better but I don't know about $1000 better

zegm
09-09-2008, 08:15 PM
I have a 25ft 6600lb fishing boat on a tandem and our 2008 LS on a single axle. Both tow fine! I have towed the LS twice this year over 600 miles round trips each and had no problems and no sway. And if you need to move it in a tight spot the single axle will be much easier to manuever. If you don't believe me just look at my front yard when I back up and park the tandem!!! Poor grass never saw it coming!!!! I would consider the tandem if you are really traveling every weekend or you like the looks!

Sled491
09-09-2008, 09:36 PM
Plenty of good arguments for a tandem, and yes they look cool, but for your towing mileage 1000 bucks buys a lot of chicken wings and gas!:)
Right Z

jester
09-09-2008, 09:49 PM
I also have a single for my OBV. I keep it in a slip all summer and only tow once every now and again. I say keep with the single. 1K is alot of wings and beer. I mean wings and gas. plus for as little as you tow you will not see a differance. Just get an extra tire. oo thanks for the reminder i still have not gotten one. :rolleyes:

zegm
09-09-2008, 10:12 PM
Sled,

Wow we are back on the chicken wings!!!!! This just brings back fond memories!!!! OK maybe not so fond! I need to call DF and see when she is going to put on a demonstration over at Cory Picos!!! I think this is the only way we can make the "fond" memories!!!

But yeah Mag. save your money!!! However, do what I did and go out and buy yourself a spare tire. Cost me 90 dollars at Hy Tech Marine here in Panama City. The spare tire carrier was almost as much from a Moomba dealer, I think you could find this cheaper too!

This place has a lot of equipment for trailers!

http://www.easternmarine.com/

Kelsey
09-10-2008, 08:34 PM
The same reason a single axle trailer is easier to maneuver is also why they tend to sway more why towing. 4 wheels resist turning more than 2 wheels. Small adjustments at the steering wheel will translate into more "trailer sway" with a single axle.

Single axles are fine. They certainly have their advantages. But disadvantages as well.

zegm
09-10-2008, 09:25 PM
kelsey,

I towed a single axle MasterCraft for 22 years and our new Moomba LS for over 1200 miles and haven't experienced what you are talking about?? Maybe a tow vehicle with a short wheelbase might be more likely to cause such a problem. Now I did jerk the steering wheel while towing my tandem axle boat on a 4 lane highway to get out of the way of a hauling azz fire truck once; and ...............I am still sweating when I think about it, it started swaying back and forth and the only way I was able to stop it was to actually give the truck full throttle to pull out of that weird sin wave thing going on behind me! I think there are always cases and situations that one can get into but I wouldn't try to talk the man who doesn't plan to tow that much into spending a 1000 bucks that he could use on chicken wings.

Kelsey
09-10-2008, 10:05 PM
Sorry Zegm, didn't mean to offend your trailer (s).

I agree, if you are not planning on towing often a single axle is fine, and has it's advantages. You may not personally have issues with trailer swaying..... great.

However, it is well documented that single axles have more sway. Do a google search on "single vs double axle trailers".

Sled491
09-10-2008, 10:14 PM
Man Z you have all the fun these days. If single axle trailers sway that much and are that dangerous they would be banned. I pulled a 40 ft race hauler every winter for over 20k miles every winter while racing (see pic of trialer in my albums). Trust me you can get a tandem axle to sway.

I'm with Z, 1000 bucks can buy a lot of chiken wings. Z do you prefer hot or mild? How bout you Kelsey? Between Z and I and our single axle trailers we have plenty of money to treat. I'll get the 1st pitcher!:)

zegm
09-10-2008, 10:17 PM
kelsey,

you didn't offend me! I just wanted people to know they are NOT that sensitive. And like Sled mentioned any trailer can get away from you and so far only my tandem has scared me.

Now you need to join us a an owl place for some wings and if we get lucky we will have DF join us! :lol:

Kelsey
09-11-2008, 05:30 PM
I like my wings like my women....big, fat, n spicy

MrsZ
09-11-2008, 07:26 PM
You know, the very first time I looked at this BB y'all were talking about chicken wings n stuff. :confused:

Now I love good hot wings but the Owl Place here is just sub standard. You other guys in this general area need to tell me where the good wings are....And I am not talking about the view. I am not anti-view. A view is OK, as long as the wings are excellent.

Sled491
09-11-2008, 07:29 PM
OK, I'm not on this big bootylicious train. Owl place wings are sub par I agree, but these days it's so hard to find a common place to meet. :)

I think just about the best wings from a chain that I have had consistantly around the country are "Famous Daves". I have guys on my crew that would eat them every day for lunch if every one could stand it!

.264 magnum
09-16-2008, 01:14 AM
Hey guys thanks. I believe we'll hold on to the single.