PDA

View Full Version : stereo gurus Sub question

jmvotto
09-08-2008, 09:12 AM
looking to build a new system for the fall project

I think i am going with a three preout either kenwood or alpine HU, JL 6x75 bridgeable amp, the polk momo or dbs in the cabins and two audioformz with polks on the tower, and probably the audioformz sub enclosure 10"

?? for subs polk DB vs MOMO as well, 75 dollar difference and power handling and range slightly different. both marine certified, maybe just the looks. also any need for the dual voice coil if the amp is bridgeable?:confused:

gcombe74
09-08-2008, 11:01 AM
one advantage of dual voice coil is if you are going to run more speakers in series down the road... dual voice coil just gives you more flexability for wiring more speakers in series. bridage or mono block really not an issue with single voice coil.

Razzman
09-08-2008, 12:37 PM
Hey jvmotto, while checking out the hu's look at the Pioneers as well, real nice units with 3 preouts. Had one on my last boat and it was flawless the whole time.

Kicker makes a real nice marine certified sub, the Comp. It looks nice, pounds the bass, doesn't need a large box to do it and doesn't require a lot of power to run it efficiently. I had a 10" one in the Tigé bridged at 4ohms on a SVC and it was impressive running on 300 watts. In fact i pulled it before i sold the boat and reinstalled the Rockford i first put in it.

You can use any sub though, doesn't neccessarily have to be marine rated. As long as it has the rubber surround and composite cone your good. :)

byronkoz
09-08-2008, 07:23 PM
You really dont need to run a marine sub in most cases. Have you thought about going with an eq instead of changing out you HU? I would also go with a DV coil sub, it gives you alot more flexabillity. As for the sub, for the money youd probley be better off going with something like the Kicker Comp VR or the Alpine Type R.

c.rix
09-08-2008, 08:03 PM
Like byronkoz said ,
You really dont need to run a marine sub. because i know if mine get wet to the point of damage or enough to cause harm to them it was a terrible day at the lake and we would be bailing a minum of a foot of water from the boat.

As far as cabin speakers and towers speakers definatly run marine certified I like my kickers and all their products are marine certified so no need to worry about it

polks are really nice though too

04OUTBACK
09-08-2008, 09:29 PM
al,
THE EQ mentioned above is a great idea unless you want a new stereo..
wait, didn't you already sell yours?
Well, The Clarion EQ is a great low cost option.. has 3 RCA pre's out for Sub, front and rear and gives you crossover and eq benefit.
The Wetsounds-ws420 does all above AND more.

BW

jmvotto
09-08-2008, 10:13 PM
The three ouputs is a good seller but the alpine unit i was looking into was due to the seamless ipod interface best in class ( i heard alpine worked with aapl) on this one kind of pricey though

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500AX100M/Alpine-iDA-X100M.html?search=apline+100

some of the clarion HU have 6 pre-outs? wow:shock:

byronkoz
09-08-2008, 11:08 PM
I've heard mostly good things about the Alpine decks. Im also running the clarion EQ and its a real good unit espessially for the $$$$ but if I could afford it the WS420 would be the ticket.

6 preouts is awsome. That would allow you to run the front and rear channels of your amps to there own preouts and give you control or everything with balance and fade, sweet!!! Only problem is i've heard mixed things about the Clarion's and they're HUGE, dont think they'd fit in the glove box on our Moombas????

byronkoz
09-08-2008, 11:12 PM
Oh one other thing to concider is something with 4v preouts, or even better most EQ's are 7v +.

jmvotto
09-08-2008, 11:18 PM
Byronkoz, this one should fit. I have heard the same but my buddy put the big one in his tige, so far so good. not sure about this source I have heard mixed reviews on this retailer

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=17470

jmvotto
09-08-2008, 11:21 PM
why 4 volt pre-outs?

jmvotto
09-23-2008, 10:31 PM
last question for the gurus, after running some research and online shopping which amp seems to perform better, i have heard good things about all on the BB.

2 4 channel clarions apx280m or kicker mx 350.4 or the jl m6600 and a two channel or mono jl for the sub, either way i get the eight channels i need, front, rear, tower and sub

Reese350
09-24-2008, 06:34 AM
I went with the JL M6450 and love it. No problems, crystal clear sound. Can't go wrong with JL.

jmvotto
09-24-2008, 06:52 AM
reese are you running a sub and towers as well?

tazz3069
09-24-2008, 07:34 AM
JM--
I am running the MX series amps in my boat. I really like them. I have the MX700.5 to run the cabin speakers and sub. I also have the MX350.4 to run the towers. The sub I am using is a 10" Boston Acoustic sub. I really like that. It hits really hard. I also have the 10" encloser from Audioformz. You will have to do some drilling in the encloser for your sub. They supply all the necesary items to complete the project.
https://forum.moomba.com/picture.php?albumid=23&pictureid=128
https://forum.moomba.com/picture.php?albumid=23&pictureid=142
https://forum.moomba.com/picture.php?albumid=23&pictureid=143

SanMarzano
09-24-2008, 11:51 AM
I put an aluma pro BP8 Sub in my boat and it pounds. Yes and 8"sub!!!! In a custom aluma pro bandpass box

Reese350
09-24-2008, 07:44 PM
I have the 10" JL sub mounted free air on the kick panel under the driver's console. No tower speakers yet but lusting after the Wetsounds Pro80's. I'll have to add another amp to pull that off though.

Hillbilly
09-26-2008, 01:30 AM
Is that a G5 Boston? I was going to put 2 of those in my boat until I saw the estimate:confused: I decided to try and fit my 12 inch PPI.

jmvotto
09-26-2008, 06:46 AM
I put an aluma pro BP8 Sub in my boat and it pounds. Yes and 8"sub!!!! In a custom aluma pro bandpass box

SanMarzano do you have any pics and where can i find the aluma pro bandpass box?

tazz3069
09-27-2008, 08:21 AM
hillbilly--
It is a G3 sub.

SanMarzano
09-27-2008, 03:08 PM
SanMarzano do you have any pics and where can i find the aluma pro bandpass box?

I got it at the local stereo shop. There arent the best pics but look at this thread. The EQ pic puts it into perspective since you cant even see the aluma pro in this pic. Since it is a small box it fits perfectly in the outback v cut out all the way back into the bow area. No custom cut outs and no space taken away under the steering wheel in the foot area. Again its not a $1000 12 inch pro sub but for an 8" pushing 300 watts it pounds. FYI the Alumna pro 12" dual ported box sounds amazing. It was just to big and I would have needed a dedicated amp

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=5393&highlight=alumapro