PDA

View Full Version : Winter storage tips, insurance, etc.

bigbadjon_LSV
09-07-2008, 11:59 AM
I hate to think about it, but I need to start looking for a storage garage/facility to store the new Moomba for the long northern Indiana winter. I think I will be able to surf another month and a half or so with a wetsuit, but I want to get the storage site all lined up.

Is there anything I should look for or ask about when calling the different places? Do I need to call my boat insurance company to inform them or get different coverage? Any help for this newbie would be appreciated. Thanks.

Appleknocker
09-07-2008, 12:53 PM
Jon, not sure what insurance you have but when I store my boat for the winter I jack all the deductibles up to $5000. I have progressive on my boat. Granted the bank doesn't like to see that but I store it in my personal garage and I know nothing will happen to it. Now on the other hand if you are storing it in a public storage like facility you may want to keep the deducdibles low as you will not be able to keep an eye on it. Hope this helps.

Sled491
09-07-2008, 07:20 PM
Make sure the entrance is easily accesible. The wharehouse we have for our business requires a major cut from the driveway and the door is just wide enough to get through so lining up is a real bi$%&. Some people rent space in big pole barns for reasonable rates, say by the linear foot, but you wouldn't have access for winter projects.

Depending on where you store you need to be watchfull of critters, and as always proper winterization is a must if the facility is not heated or its new motor time come spring, a real bummer!

Keep watching the winterization posts will start to roll out very soon.

sailing217
09-08-2008, 11:05 AM
We found a great deal on a storage place but hours of access were limited and you could not do anything to your boat on the property. You would just call before hand and tell them you want it in 20 minutes. It would have worked for winter storage, but never over the summer.

My in-laws have a nice dry barn with horses and barn cats (concrete floors where equipment is). They stored a car there for 2 years and when I got it out, the wiring was chewed through. They have cats but once mice get in there, they can go where cats can't. I'll spend the extra money on storage thanks.

My insurance was a different price when they knew it was stored indoors with security cameras. The storage place requires insurance.

bigbadjon_LSV
09-08-2008, 07:37 PM
One more question. What is the minimum length I need to look for in a public storage space if I take the swim platform off of my LSV? Thanks for all the input so far.

04OUTBACK
09-08-2008, 09:34 PM
BBJ,
I am in a 10 x 25' and have about 1' to spare with platform on and tongue folded. Platform off and folded you are going to be around 22.5'