PDA

View Full Version : 07 LSV Overheat

Mritter
09-07-2008, 08:06 AM
Spent about 5 hours on the lake the other day. All low speed boarding and surfing. On the run back to the dock at the end of the day, I pushed the power up, running maybe 30mph and the engine started to overheat and went into slow/limp mode.

Checked the impeller and it looks fine. All fins are intact. Opened the optional engine water strainer and found what I would consider to be a small amount of debris in the screen. Little pieces of wood and twigs. Maybe enough to fill half a small dixie cup. Not sure about the condition of the water pump. The boat is trailered and I don't have a way to run it on dry land.

My question is; Just how must crud in the strainer is enough to reduce the flow enough to cause an overheat?

Mritter
09-08-2008, 06:23 PM
I'll answer my own question.

Took boat into the local dealer. They found that the impeller was defective. The splined metal core had separated from the outer rubber fin section. They said Indmar has seen a few of these and perhaps there had been a bad batch.

04OUTBACK
09-08-2008, 09:36 PM
Interesting..
I would have never thought to check that! THANKS.

zabooda
09-09-2008, 02:14 AM
I just winterized my boat and what surprised me is when I drained the exhaust manifolds I used my hand to divert the water away from the carpet and into the bilge and I could feel small pieces of rubber that I assume is from the impeller coming out with the water. I checked the impeller and it is completely intact so I'm assuming again that it was from an impeller from years back.