PDA

View Full Version : New Ski for 10 y/o son

slalomski
01-02-2004, 02:54 PM
Looking for comments on a new ski I just purchased for my 10 y/o son. Just bought him a 62" Carbon KD7000jr, w/double comps. anyone heard any reviews on this ski? He's been using my 68" Connelly Hook, and seems to handle it pretty well for a first time slalom skier, but it's obviously too big for him. He just started getting up deep water this summer and is doing relatively well, I'm just wondering if any of you think he'll progress in a quick manner this season with the new ski. I haven't been involved in the water ski realm in the past ten years, and just getting back into it. Hoping for some comments....
Thanks,
Jim

purplepower
01-03-2004, 02:50 AM
Hey Jim,
Maybe I could put myself up for adoption if you would buy me a ski like that!
It is interesting that your son can handle the Connelly Hook. I love that ski, but I find that less experienced skiiers really struggle with it. It seems that it is a harder ski than most to come out of the water on. Also it does not like running flat or at lower speeds which most new skiiers are doing much of the time.
Believe it or not, I have had good results with the Connelly mid SX "fat ski" with my sons (8 and 10 yrs) My youngest tried it as a joke one day and he really liked it. It looks miles too big for him but he is alot more agressive on that than any of the perfomance skis. Me, I hate it ! It twitches when you really get it going. Good fun for jumping the wake though.
After all that, neither of the boys have tried your new ski, however if you are looking to expand your family let us know.

slalomski
01-03-2004, 05:54 PM
Well, unfortunately we don't have the room for another child..... but, we could kinda do a on-line adoption. I'd be willing to go that far!! Anyway, thanks for the input, I really like my Connelly Hook. I bought it last season when we bought our boat. You are right, it doesn't like being "flat", handles really well in the turns. At least on my "on-side"!! I went skiing with the #21 ranked in the world last season.. Jeff Dempsey. (He lives in my neighborhood) He wasn't really too fond of the Hook. He is sponsored by D3. He said, "Dude, I'm sorry you have a Connelly". But what could I say, the guy's a pro.

Do you own a Moomba? I don't at the current, but will be buying one as soon as I make another stripe. I'm in the military..... yes, I fly with your Canadian Bretheren on the AWACS...... They are such a hoot. Rowdy bunch of guys.

Anyway, chat with ya later,
Jim

purplepower
01-07-2004, 04:34 PM
Hello again Jim,
Yes I am on a tight budget also. That is why I picked up a nearly new boomerang last summer. Like the Connelly Hook, it is a dated design. Hovever it is perfect ski boat for my family. I have no regrets. See the recent thread under "general chat". I believe the thread started as "boomerang quality questions"