PDA

View Full Version : Slalom Skiing- Wakeplate 03 Outback

mike.bates
09-05-2008, 05:51 PM
Hey Everyone.

As of TODAY, I am the happy new owner of a 2003 Outback.
Boat came with tower, ballast and wakeplate.

I have been reading about wakeboarders wanting a BIGGER wake.

We want a smaller wake.

Can anyone give me the 60 second review of how I want to adjust the plate to get the smoothest smallest wake I can?

15 year old son is skiing 30mph, The Bride is doing 34 and I am doing 36.
All @ 15 off on a free ski.

Thanks!
Mike

cutnh20
09-06-2008, 12:02 PM
Mike,

I am a slalom fanatic also and have a 2003 outback. I don't have a wake plate but what I can tell you is that the Outback was built for slalom! Skiing behind I/O's as a kid I would say at the slower speeds you want the wake plate most of the way down to get the nose farther into the water. Once you get up to 32-36 mph I'd start it at a "neutral" setting and then play with it a bit. Once I get up to 34-36 mph the wake gets really small especially once you pass 22 off. Since your are free skiing - go out and shorten the rope to 28 off and head up to 34 mph and take soem wake crossings just to see what the boat is capable of...pure butter!

Let me know if you have other questions and what your findings are.

Kidder
09-06-2008, 12:25 PM
I don't have a wakeplate but I'd think you would want it all the way down to get the stern "up and out of the water" to decrease the wake.

zegm
09-06-2008, 09:49 PM
Kidder is right, on our LS you have to put the plate all the way down. However, I thought the Outback was a pure ski boat?? It should have a small wake without the plate and I would guess it will get smaller if the plate is down.

Mikey
09-06-2008, 11:17 PM
I find with my outback DD at slow you can put the plate down a little to help but at 34,36 get the plate up and let the boat do its thing just as it would if it didn't have a plate. After reading posts from LS owners maybe the effect is different on there boats. But as stated outback dd are ski boats first and really don't need plates at all,plate is more for wakeboarding etc.

Sled491
09-07-2008, 11:33 AM
Well guys you are mostly correct. Remember that an Outback without the Hydrualic wakeplate still has a wakeplate. On my 07 there is still 4 inch deep by about 20inch wide plate. This is there for a reason, and that is to help lift the back end a bit and flatten out the wake.

So with that said, I would think that you would still need a small amount of the much larger hydualic plate to emulate a stock Outback slalom wake. For our friend that started the thread, the biggest need is for his son at 30mph.

Mikey
09-07-2008, 06:16 PM
I'm sorry i didn't realize you get some sort of plate as i ordered mine as an extra.I still find for skiing plate up works best especially at upper speeds.

Kidder
09-07-2008, 07:04 PM
I'm sorry i didn't realize you get some sort of plate as i ordered mine as an extra.I still find for skiing plate up works best especially at upper speeds.

Wouldn't that setting be like not having one?

Mikey
09-08-2008, 08:53 PM
In a word YES. I use my plate for wakeboarding and if i intentionally want the nose to ride high,ie rough water to keep some of the splash out.Outherwise for pure skiing I find i don;t need it.

FearTheElf
09-09-2008, 06:37 PM
I have a 2008 Outback DD with the wake plate. I slalom ski at 35-36 mph at 15 off and don't run a course... appears to be the same scenario as Mike.Bates.

Set the wake plate all the way down and leave it there! As others have said, it helps flatten out the wake for slalom skiing. I noticed right away that anything other than all the way down makes the lip of the wave a tad more harsh. And there is a slight bump at 22 off, so if you enjoy open water skiing at 15 off, it is nice and flat back there.

Sure, the Outback DD is a certified slalom boat, but having the slight extra lift from the wake plate helps. It doesn't necessarily make the wake bigger or smaller, just changes the characteristic of the lip of the wake.

mike.bates
09-11-2008, 02:15 PM
Hey Everyone.
Thanks for the feedback.
Dropped boat in the lake Tuesday. Only had a short time to play with the plate.
Elf - I think your input is bang on - wake appeared best when plate was dropped down.

Will let you know after weekend - after we ski on the weekend.

Mike

canuckskier
09-12-2008, 04:30 PM
Fear the elf is right (in my opinion)

It is a preference thing as well, play with the plate for each skier and find out what feels best for his/her line length and speed.

As for me, my wife skis at 15-22 off at 32MPH, and I ski 34-36MPH, and 22-32 off. We both prefer the plate all the way down through all speeds and line-lengths.

p.s. the club skiers I run the course with use Mastercraft and Malibu boats exclusively, and I took them for a free-ski last week, they are all considering a Moomba for their next purchase. These are VERY good skiers, and the plate was all the way down when I was pulling them.

That being said, running the plate up, or not having a plate still produces a tournament-quality slalom wake that is excellent.