PDA

View Full Version : serious cleaning

ajmoritz17
09-02-2008, 09:24 AM
what does everyone use to get the real nasty stuff off the hull?? i know that most people dont let it get on there in the first place but i just feel like i dont get my moneys worth if i dont leave the boat on the water. usually i pull it out every week to keep it from building up.. but its a really dirty lake and i failed to keep up last month...I even think that this build up could be the cause for inaccurate mph reading. I had to set my perfect pass as 19 yesterday when usually im 22.5 mph...

Lesson learned boat lift for me next year!!!
any help appreciated!!!!

aj
________
Honda CB1000 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Honda_CB1000)

jmvotto
09-02-2008, 09:28 AM
I have heard that, don't laugh, toilet bowl cleaner gets the real crud off the hull.

kaneboats
09-02-2008, 09:35 AM
It's true. I used to get lots of algae, etc. on my old boat. I'd take sno-bowl to it and just wipe it good. In a few minutes you can see the spots you missed. Just be sure to wash with soap and water when it's done working and then rinse real good. It does way more than scrubbing. I did this fairly regulary for a couple of years and it didn't hurt a thing. May want to do a test area if you have a dark color on the hull and make sure it doesn't fade or anything.

cpudoktr
09-02-2008, 11:46 AM
Dow Scrubbing Bubbles works really well too, but like Kaneboats said, a good rinsing is in order afterwards.

BensonWdby
09-03-2008, 12:10 AM
Got some stuff at Walmart - HullBrite. wipe on with a sponge. let set for a minute or two and wipe hose off. Probably want to wax when done however...

JesseC
09-09-2008, 11:22 PM
Got some stuff at Walmart - HullBrite. wipe on with a sponge. let set for a minute or two and wipe hose off. Probably want to wax when done however...

I agree with Benson, HullBrite - Instant Hull Cleaner. I left my Formula in the lake for 2 months and got some real nasty stuff on the boat. I bought a spray bottle and some HullBrite, I sprayed the boat with the HullBrite and let it sit for a few minutes. Everything just wipes off with EXTREME ease. I cleaned the entire hull in about 30 minutes on a 24' boat! Only caution is, DO NOT get it on anything that you do not want to die...first time I used it I killed all of the grass next to my driveway!!! Strips all of the wax off as well.

NCSUmoomba
09-10-2008, 10:02 AM
Yep, that hull cleaner works great to get the crud off. However, it did bleach my trailer in spots where it dripped onto it, so be careful.

yearround
09-10-2008, 07:06 PM
what do you use to get the water spots off the windshield?

bergermaister
09-12-2008, 01:08 AM
After a heavy dousing of glass cleaner I use RainX on mine. It's basically like a light film of cleaner wax that takes off the old water spots and helps to prevent new ones. A few coats is well worth it for even coverage and I do it on the inside as well as the outside.

I've also heard of guys using a light grade of steel wool to clean up tough spots on the glass but I'm reluctant to try that.

Kelsey
09-12-2008, 07:33 AM
What about Mcguires hard water spot remover? I have used this on my gelcoat and it works great. I suspect if you used it on the windshield, and then cleaned real well, it would probably work.

MasterMind3002
09-13-2008, 12:14 AM
what do you use to get the water spots off the windshield?

A 50/50 solution of water and white vinegar takes water spots off the hull, chrome, stainless and glass. I just mix it up in a spray bottle, spray it on and wipe it off. I use it everytime i wipe the boat down for the day. It doesn't hurt the wax and and the boat shines like a diamond. Plus its cheap!

Razzman
09-13-2008, 01:33 PM
FYI: The vinegar/water thing works even better if you use distilled water and distilled vinegar. :o

superfet
09-28-2008, 02:32 PM
Hi there
I used oxalic acid to get rid of the dirt from the hull, it worked great. Just mix it with water, put it on and rinse after a while.