PDA

View Full Version : Engine Compartment Latch

Moomba Dad
09-01-2008, 05:38 PM
Okay...I have to believe that I'm not the only Moomba owner who has broken the 'rinky-dink' plastic engine compartment latch. Please tell me I'm not alone.

I'm standing on the side of the trailer reaching over to open the engine compartment lid and I twist the latch to what I thought was the completely open positition. I then pull up and 'snap' the latch comes off in my hand. Much to my surprise it's just a cheap plastic molded latch. I have to say that I'm a little bit disappointed with the quality of this latch.

Has anybody else had this happen to them?

Where could I get higher quality replacement? Is there a source for a 'metal' latch in lieu of the stock plastic on? Maybe the newer boats have switched over to metal. Anybody know?

Besides that I'm still lovin' my Moomba.

Thanks in advance.

Moomba Dad
09-01-2008, 07:25 PM
Were they plastic or metal?

Thanks for the reply!

zegm
09-01-2008, 08:36 PM
Sounds similiar to the vinyl strap used to open the ski locker on our new LS. I guess it lasted 3 days before the single staple pulled out. I am looking for new ideas or designs others have performed???

Reese350
09-01-2008, 08:43 PM
They were an exact replacement. I couldn't find anything better that would fit the hole. The replacement was $50 + shipping everywhere else so finding the treasure local at Gander Mountain for $7 made my day. The new one hasn't broken yet but I bought 2 just in case.

wolfeman131
09-01-2008, 09:36 PM
don't know if this will help, but I thought I remembered seeing these when flipping through the Overton's catalog. OEM replacement for $19.99.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=87203&pdesc=T_Handle_Non_Locking_Latch&str=latch&merchID=1008&r=view

Moomba Dad
09-01-2008, 10:14 PM
Reese350,

Thank you for the info

Wolfeman131,

Thanks for the link.

Both very helpful.

Moomba Dad
09-10-2008, 11:57 AM
Same issue on our 06 LSV. I looked everywhere and ended up finding them being clearanced out at Gander Mountain in Novi over by Fountainwalk. I found them there on accident, it was a complete fluke. $7 and I was back in business. That was a couple months ago but I bet they still have them. Check it out.....took 5 mins to swap it out.

Reese350,

Found one at Gander Mountain in Novi for $14.99.

To replace this weekend.

Thanx!

Reese350
09-10-2008, 08:34 PM
Excellent news, glad I could help!