PDA

View Full Version : Middle ski locker won't drain?

IN$ANE
08-31-2008, 11:30 AM
Hey guys I'm new to this forum. I just bought a 2000 Moomba Mobius V. I love this boat! I had a maxum 1900sr2 before which was a nice boat but wow! Will never go back to a I/O. Any way, the middle ski locker won't drain. Any tips or things to look for? Other than this small problem no complaints.

Thanks

ajmoritz17
09-02-2008, 02:12 PM
i had same prob. with my boat i was very frustrated then mad at myself when i realized the wire had just vibrated loose check your wireing and look for one without a home...if thats not it its not hard at all to change those pumps and i dont think they are too terribly expensive
________
Honda NSR125 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Honda_NSR125)

Kelsey
09-03-2008, 08:11 AM
On my 04 xlv, the drain is not placed in a good spot. Unless there is an inch or more of water, it just sits in the ski locker. I have a 1000# bag in there which tends to drip a little bit. I have resorted to shoving a dry towel down in there at the end of the day. This soaks most of it up, then I leave it open in the hot sun. I hope I'm doing this wrong and somebody had a better way, because it sucks!!!!..smells bad too.

jlaws2952
09-03-2008, 05:23 PM
I have a 02 outback, and I resort to putting a towel in there to dry it out. Unfortunatley, that is the only way that I know how to get the excess water out. If anyone knows a better way, please feel free to share.

bergermaister
09-03-2008, 07:49 PM
Hey IN$ANE-

I have a 2001 MobiusV and have had the same problem. I use the basement for storage (quick shade, chairs, skis, camping gear, etc) and got tired of being wet so often. I believe with the way this year of boats was designed that is the lowest point in the hull, lower than the rear bilge area under the engine. So if anything, the water will drain forward into the ski locker on you rather than out the back like you'd want it to.

My solution was to put a plug in the hole going from the ski locker back to the bilge area. I collect just a little water in my ski locker basement now and it easily wipes out with just a hand towel as opposed to parking the thing on a hill and letting it drain.

It's a 1" hole and a typical transom plug will work. However I found the rubber stoppers slip out of the plastic tube pretty easy so I ended up using 15/16" tapered corks. Works like a charm and you can get them at about any hardware store and keep a few extras on board for only a buck or two. Just make sure you don't break one off or push it in too far!

IN$ANE
09-03-2008, 10:42 PM
Hey thanks! I will try getting a plug and I guess will just be stuck with drying it out with towel.

cab13367
09-03-2008, 10:59 PM
Same here. I got a cork fromd Home Depot and plugged the hole. One thing someone pointed out is what happens if you take a bunch of water over the bow, how do you get the water out of the locker if you have it plugged? jmvotto on this site found a "test plug" that is removeable so I would go with that over the cork plug. Unless you have a ballast system in which case you can unhook the bag and use the ballast pump to pump it out.

Al

bergermaister
09-03-2008, 11:53 PM
That's a very good point! I have yet to take a wave over the bow but I'm sure my days are numbered. If I were thinking of it when it happened I could have that cover open and the plug out within a matter of seconds. The nice thing about the tapered plug is that it only goes in about half way and leaves a good edge to grab and pull.

I'm curious what a test plug looks like. Something with a little handle or quick release?

I had thought about trying to stick a one-way valve on there somehow but not sure how to accomplish that given the limited space.

On a side note - I did get the rare experience of seeing my emergency bilge kicking on one time after sitting out in a massive downpour for a few hours and I must say - it kicked ass!!! Nice to know that the backup works.

cab13367
09-04-2008, 01:13 AM
I'm curious what a test plug looks like. Something with a little handle or quick release?

Here's a link to it. It's about halfway down the page, the orange one.

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/testing.html