PDA

View Full Version : runout in prop shaft?

james yarosz
08-30-2008, 11:34 PM
I hit a rock on my last day of vacation this week.Prop looks a little tore up and picked up a vibration.Before I decide if this could be an insurance claim does anyone know what the maximum runout should be at the end of the prop shaft?

04OUTBACK
08-31-2008, 10:28 AM
James,
I am not sure if by runout you mean tolerance to straightness, but it is next to 0
I did same thing last year in my outback and ended up changing shaft too.
Which boat do you have?

For me doing all the work, I had about $1000 in prop, shaft, shaft bearings and tools..

probably add another $500-750 for labor. On a direct drive, now that I know a few tricks, it is about a 6 hour job.

Great parts resource: http://www.elberts.com/ I called and spoke to "Mr Elbert" and he is way helpful. he sells a bunch of specific tools for this job.
I asked him what did I have to have and he sold me several important tools that helped.

If you decide to take this one on, PM and we can discuss..

I could not detect any bend in my shaft, but it still vibrated.. when I changed shaft, it didn't...

oh, if you are not gonna file a claim, buy a prop (or get yours fixed) and put it back on and test run it to see if it vibrates first..

james yarosz
08-31-2008, 10:18 PM
I pulled the prop today and checked the runout at the end of the shaft.I had less than 1 thousand runout(I used a dial indicator) .I think the shaft is ok. What makes me mad is the prop is not that bad and most shops want over $200 to fix it.I just feel this price is outrageous.

04OUTBACK
09-01-2008, 12:10 AM
Are you planning on using the boat this weekend?
Look online as there are several prop repair shops you can ship it to..

glad the shaft is good!

james yarosz
09-01-2008, 09:27 AM
I have a spare prop which I installed for now.It's pretty decent with just a few tiny nicks.It just pisses me off that they want over $2oo to repair a prop when I can buy a brand new one for just over $300.

04OUTBACK
09-01-2008, 09:36 AM
i can understand that..
look into www.propmd.com or www.tacomapropeller.com

both do ship in/ou repair..

zegm
09-01-2008, 09:38 AM
James,

I think 200 bucks is too much too!

Here in Panama City I have taken our damaged prop to Panama Wheels and was surprised when the price went from 60 bucks to 90 bucks. And both times we had dinged up all three blades pretty bad.

.001" runout sounds like a non issue to me!