PDA

View Full Version : Monster Tower Cargo Rack Bimini

wolfeman131
08-28-2008, 11:25 PM
Started a new thread as many were interested in what I would find when I visited Monster Tower's facility in Alpharetta, GA today.

I worked with Kenton ([email protected]) on email first and he took care of all my questions today. Very nice guy, very knowledgeable of the rack, let me take pics and measurements, etc. I tried to haggle for a Moomba owners discount - even showed him Ed's deal with Seadek - but didn't have any luck. Mention you read this thread and see if you can get a few $$ off as I told him quite a few seemed interested.

Despite my poor negotiation skills, I have one in the garage! I checked out the Z-5 Cargo when I bought my boat, tried to get one on my OBV and have been on Zegm's LS with the Z-5. I think these cargo tops are great due to their versatility for holding all the water toys from skis, to kneeboards, surfboards, wakeboards and even the dreaded tube. I keep my boat in a cradle lift with cables and was looking for the rotating racks as I have seen people get racks and boards tangled in their cables. I like the cargo rack option as it's one less thing to worry about when docking for us.

In my opionion, the Monster Cargo rack appears to be a very high quality and a tough competitor for the Z-5. Stainless construction for the frame and Great Lakes custom canvas (same used on my factory bimini). Nice design for the locking pins and smooth pivot action to drop the top and get to your gear. If the customer service is as good after the sale as it was prior, I anticipate being a happy customer.

I purchased the Medium size for my '08 OBV. It is 48" side to side and 67" front to back. Looks easy to install and will try to remember to document with pics. The pics below are from the Monster Tower showroom today.

http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd344/wolfeman131/DSC02439.jpg

http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd344/wolfeman131/DSC02442.jpg

http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd344/wolfeman131/DSC02443.jpg

http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd344/wolfeman131/DSC02444.jpg

volfo
08-29-2008, 08:41 AM
Thanks for the trip, the pictures and the post!

I think I'm going to order one also. Do you know what size is on the one with the Monster Tower in the picture? I have that same monster tower on my Outback LS and want to know what width I need. I'd like it as wide as possible, but am fearful I would have to get the small one as the front tower legs on the Monster Tower MT@ are pretty narrow. What did you think of it mounted on their own towers?

By the way, that's my wakeboard sitting on top of the rack - it must be a sign.

wolfeman131
08-29-2008, 10:26 AM
Thanks for the trip, the pictures and the post!

I think I'm going to order one also. Do you know what size is on the one with the Monster Tower in the picture? I have that same monster tower on my Outback LS and want to know what width I need. I'd like it as wide as possible, but am fearful I would have to get the small one as the front tower legs on the Monster Tower MT@ are pretty narrow. What did you think of it mounted on their own towers?

By the way, that's my wakeboard sitting on top of the rack - it must be a sign.

The one pictured is the Medium size and that is the MT2 tower. Mounted to this tower, it was a very nice total package. They have the prototype on the tower (normally there are some flaws with prototypes), but this looked very nice. I pushed & pulled on the rack and mounts and thought it was solid. The only question I have is with the screws that go through the mounts and into the tower. I'll hold my opinion until I get throught with the installation.

I'm rather new to the whole inboard scene, but think I can spot a quality product, and the Monster Tower products look very nice to me. I checked out their speakers and racks also. They have some nice features such as a quick release for the racks (looks like a bicycle seat tightner).

FoilTechHydrofoiler
08-29-2008, 11:15 AM
How much $$$$$$

moombadaze
08-29-2008, 11:51 AM
Wolfeman, I have there tower mirror arm--it is quality stuff, I'm not sure about the mount(screwing into the tower is best option tho)

kaneboats
08-29-2008, 11:54 AM
Wolfe- that thing looks sharp and very sturdy to boot. Cool!

wolfeman131
08-29-2008, 12:01 PM
How much $$$$$$

The medium cargo rack is $850.

Sounds expensive, but I think the Z-5 Cargo rack is about $2,000.

Also, I looked at this math: factory bimini is $550 and factory racks are $400. This can handle both jobs for $100 less.

zegm
08-29-2008, 01:32 PM
Dr. D! Great job!!! I wish I could visit Monster, I used to work in Cumming. I need them to make a kneeboard rack.
I am sure that the upper mount that is screwed onto the frame is just for the protype. We love our z-cargo top! I do also remember seeing a "patent pending" sticker on it too which makes me wonder if Monster sells the z-cargo to Moomba? Certainly as with all good engineers they have a z-cargo sitting around there somewhere as a benchmark and would have seen that sticker? But anyways that is a great concept to use "vertical storage space". Many of the plants I work in use this concept for storage and additional office space. Hey if its up there it is free space Use It!!!

PS I believe the Z-cargo was a 1595.00 option, not sure what it cost over the counter.

wolfeman131
08-29-2008, 02:11 PM
I need them to make a kneeboard rack.

PS I believe the Z-cargo was a 1595.00 option, not sure what it cost over the counter.

Kenton said the kneeboard rack was coming in November!

Thanks for the info on the Z-cargo as I wasn't sure of my number.

04OUTBACK
08-29-2008, 03:08 PM
Pretty Sure z5 is made by a diff company.

Patents don't generally cover as broad as a Cargo Bimini top, but more like the attachment system, the way it folds up, etc. plus design patents only cover "DESIGN" and can be gone around

Patent world is fun/expensive world. Been in a fight on one this week!:o

volfo
09-03-2008, 12:11 AM
Dear Wolfe,

did you install yours? How did it go? Any pics?

I am confused. You said that your "medium" size bimini is 48" across and that the medium came on the MT2 tower on the picture you posted. I have about 48" spread on my MT2 if I come down about 10 inches from the back bar. But, the monster tower ordering information says that if the inside spread between the front legs is 53" to 65", order the small, 65" to 77" order the medium, saying the canvas is about as wide as the shorter measurement (i.e., ,53" for small and 65" for medium). That has to be a mistake, as there is no MT2 tower in existence that is anywhere near even 53" where they are asking you to measure . . .

Confused in Nashville,

Volfo

wolfeman131
09-03-2008, 06:53 AM
Dear Wolfe,

did you install yours? How did it go? Any pics?

Sorry, I didn't get it installed last weekend. We had too many guests and too much fun to stop & get the tools out. I plan to get it installed this weekend and I will post pics.

Here's what I can tell you. The bimini was packed great. There was a box inside that had all of the smaller parts in a bag along with the bungee cords and a few other items. The other parts were laid out so that they wouldn't bang together when shipping and get nicked up. The instructions are clear and concise. I was again impressed with the quality of the product.

Sorry if I've confused you with the measurements, etc. I'm sure I remember Kenton at Monster Tower telling me that what was in the pic is a Medium bimini on the MT2 tower. However, I could be wrong, so I'd suggest calling him directly as I'm sure he'd be happy to assist.