PDA

View Full Version : Keelguard

Garn
08-26-2008, 11:22 AM
I was wondering if anyone has put Keelguard on their Moomba. I put it on my old I/O. And I see it on I/Os quite a bit. But not on V-drives and direct drives. I was wondering why. It seems like it would be a good way to protect your keel. If you don't know what Keelguard is here is the link http://www.keelguard.com/

Garn

yearround
08-26-2008, 11:45 AM
i think that "aintskeerd" put one on his boat. i think that many of the people here are too afraid to beach their boat and think they don't need it.

i have thought about it, but don't beach very often, never had one on my previous IO, never had issues with needing one then, i don't htink i will put one on now either.

my $1.

pickle311
08-26-2008, 11:59 AM
Shores here are far to rocky, and it makes me want to throw up everytime I see someone beach a beautiful inboard. But that's just me, I'm extremely picky about my belongings and I tend to forget that not everyone takes care of their things the way I do. That's why it's almost impossible for me to buy something used. But, if you do beach your boat I would recommend it. I'm all about protecting things. I use their transom protector on the rear of my boat. It's perfectly clear and works great.

aintskeered
08-26-2008, 01:10 PM
YEP I got one.... I dont beach either but just to pull up and drop or pick someone up from shore its nice to know the guard is there... I always seem to get waked about the time I picking some one up. And touch the keel. Really tough stuff trying to cut and shape, it impressed me!.

jimmobius
08-26-2008, 10:39 PM
Yup , put one on my 05' lsv. I installed them on 2 boats before this one and they are great. They save your keel and I do beach my v drive inboard boat. If you have a boat you will beach it someday for whatever reason.

wolfeman131
08-26-2008, 10:48 PM
Shores here are far to rocky, and it makes me want to throw up everytime I see someone beach a beautiful inboard. But that's just me, I'm extremely picky about my belongings and I tend to forget that not everyone takes care of their things the way I do. That's why it's almost impossible for me to buy something used. But, if you do beach your boat I would recommend it. I'm all about protecting things. I use their transom protector on the rear of my boat. It's perfectly clear and works great.

Pickle,

I'm looking for something to protect the transom from skis, etc. and saw your post. I looked on KeelGuards website & couldn't find a transom protector. Is this where you ordered yours from?

08-27-2008, 03:32 AM
How do you beach an inboard? Isn't the prop and the prop shaft going to get damaged (or at least risk being bent)? I sure wouldn't beach my XLV, I'd do anything possible to avoid it.

zegm
08-27-2008, 07:33 AM
Never beach the boat, because I am originally from Ga. where there are rocks and red clay and now that I live in Florida sand is the samething they put on paper and call sandpaper so won't do it here either.
However, I would also like to know about the transom protector.

Garn
08-27-2008, 03:43 PM
The transom shield is made be another company called Keelshield. Here is the link:
http://www.keelshield.com/transomshield.html

Garn

kaneboats
08-27-2008, 04:52 PM
I think you can buy that stuff at OfficeMax for $5.

Sled491
08-27-2008, 07:47 PM
I looked at the Keel Gaurd for my old OB but never put it on as it would cause a loss in performance and I wasn't a fan of that. Also in WI on my lake there is no place to beach so no worries mate. Even if I could beach I don't think I'd put it on, have you ever seen the bottom of a boat that is stored on a lift? So what's the difference then?

zegm
08-27-2008, 08:52 PM
Sled,

I am lost, what about the bottom of the boat on a lift? Do I need to not complete the lift here? We are using a stuff called bunknapp instead of carpet on the lift bunks. The carpet holds sand and this bunknapp doesn't.

Sled491
08-27-2008, 09:03 PM
Z, I need the name of the company that sells this bunknapp.

Because my water is so low I have to literaly drive my boat onto the lift like my trailer. Thing is, you also have to drive off. You kick up a lot of sand when giving big throttle to get off of the lift. Bottom of my boat, while not covered with lake/river scum from sitting in the water has definate marks from driving on and off my lift.

Garn
08-28-2008, 01:30 PM
Sled491, what loss of performance is there from the use of Keelguard? Why would Keelguard cause a loss?

Garn

Sled491
09-02-2008, 07:21 PM
Loss of top end speed.

Garn
09-03-2008, 10:09 AM
How much of a loss?

Sled491
09-03-2008, 07:06 PM
This was about 9 years ago so I don't remember the exacts, but it was enough to stop me from applying it. But on our boats I'm not so sure speed is a big factor.