PDA

View Full Version : Boomerang for wakeboarding?

MattM
12-07-2003, 07:20 PM
I'm looking for a boat to keep at my dock and I have always liked the boomerang for it's simplicity, size and price. I have found a good one. Here is what I'm looking for.

A boat that will be easy for the wife and kids to use without me sometimes, and a wakeboard wake good enough for my 10 and 13 year old. Can I ballast this boat a little bit, and will it still handle?

thanks for any input or experience

lowdrag
12-09-2003, 05:33 AM
Sure, shouldn't be any problem adding some sacks to it. I can't think of many boats that you couldn't do this with. It's mainly just a matter of how you distribute the weight. Too much up front can be dangerous and lead to bow steer. Too much in the back can cause the bow rise and can be dangerous visibility wise. Just experiment and find what works best before you start towing someone.

noneya
12-12-2003, 04:19 PM
The wake will be pretty small even with ballast, you may want to look for a Outback, you can pick up 99-01 non-LS version and it will give you a little bigger wake and an open bow. Shouldnt be any harder for the wife and kids, I think it is about the same size as the boomerang

purplepower
12-12-2003, 11:33 PM
I went through the same thought process this year. My wife and I enjoy the skiing. The kids (8 and 10) like to slalom also but started to wakeboard this season.
I ended up with a Boomerang because I found a great example at a great price. It may sound a little odd that I prefer the look of the boat (even though the design is dated) but that is just me. At the speed my boys wakeboard at , the wake is fine for now. My nephews (who are into boarding in a big way) managed fine with weight onboard. Maybe they were just being polite?
The biggest negative is the closed bow. You just can't beat a bowrider for a family boat. But then again, I won't have to about the windshield gaps opening up!
Don't forget that by the time you add the sacs and possibly a tower, it starts to add up. Also the resale will be better on the bowrider.
In summary, I went for the Boomerang beacase it was a good boat, I could afford it and it gets used for skiing 95% of the time.