PDA

View Full Version : Preventative Maintenance

tazz3069
08-25-2008, 08:29 AM
How many people do preventative maintenance on your boat before you hit the water. What I mean is checking the fluids, making sure the batteries are fully charged, making sure all the bolts on the tower are tightened and not missing, gas, plug, ipod, cleaning interior, washing or wiping down boat, really cleaning the gel coat, polishing all the shiny metals, making sure all your lights work, etc.

When I first bought my boat, and noticed a few things wrong, I started to do a check list before I hit the water. In the begining, I had lost two of my Tower Bolts, lost the plug when I take it out, forget the Ipod, no music sucks. Taking care of the little things means a great day on the water.

Kelsey
08-25-2008, 09:20 AM
Tazz,

I do some P.M. probably not as much as I should. I do check all screws and bolts every few outings. I clean relentlessly...it annoys the hell out of my wife. I don't check fluids as often as I should. I figure it is in the dealer 2-4 times per year, and I always have them check everything mechanical.

It is soooo labor intensive. Washing windows and cleaning bugs off the tower is an every outing job. For every day I spend on the water, I spend another tinkering with the boat.

Kidder
08-25-2008, 09:34 AM
I always check the oil and power steering fluid before each outing. I put the drain plug in after I'm done checking. I guess I should start checking the tower bolts, too.

Buttafewcoe
08-25-2008, 06:45 PM
At the least a visual inspection every outing. You may not believe it, but one time I accidentally left the beer cooler in the driveway!

MasterMind3002
08-25-2008, 09:18 PM
At the least a visual inspection every outing. You may not believe it, but one time I accidentally left the beer cooler in the driveway!

LOL! Talk about a tragedy!!

I always: lift the motor cover and check the drain plug, pull the dipstick, check the tower bolts and give the pylon a good shake to make sure the bolts are tight.

My motto: its much easier to get hurt when your equipment isn't up to snuff. If the tower or pylon lets go, someones gonna bleed.

aerophoto
08-25-2008, 11:17 PM
Yep I do a full check and cleaning the bugs off the tower is a huge pain after a day out but it gets done before I put her to bed. Those bug guts are acidic and will peel the plating off your speakers. I also look for tears and scratches inside and out. Wife thinks I am crazy but if I want to have the boat last and I will work hard to keep her looking brand new. Only thing I do not look at every time is the tranny fluid because you need to take out a floor plate to get to the dip stick I have huge hands and it need to be warm so when I get back I check it. I also clean the carpet with my wet vac and get the water out. If it rains I will go out in the middle of the night to make sure water is not getting in the boat. and I will sweep the water off that is pooling so I am a bit anal about it.
Love my boat.

tazz3069
08-25-2008, 11:42 PM
Its nice to see that everybody really takes care of their boats. I read several posts on different websites. It seems that everyone is having the same problem with their boat. It does not matter the manufacturer. I think that if you want it to last, then take care of it. If you do not know how to take care of it then do not buy it. Good example. I know someone, who shall be nameless, did not change the oil the their truck. They had the truck for about two years and never chaged the oil. Well guess what happened. Lets just say they do not have the truck anymore. This is the second truck that this happened too. So I say take the bus or get a ride from a friend.

aintskeered
08-26-2008, 01:38 PM
Preventative matiance! Yep before I hit the water every spring Very through! And then a pretty through inspection mid season, Pre trip for the day I am heading out is alot shorter than my preventative, Grap shake tower,windows, doors,hinges,latches, check fluid levels, Ice for cooler!

Very seldom dose stuff just break if comes loose and then starts getting fatige and then you get a suprise!

I try to look at everything really hard in the spring and then keep a watch on every thing for the year!

brentsmiley
08-28-2008, 11:17 PM
I was in my mechanic's shop the other day, he was talking on the phone to some guy who had just bought a boat and brought it in. I can only hear one side of the conversation but it went like this.

"I suggest replacing the impeller. You don't know how long that boat was just sitting there, but it would be a really good idea to replace it."

"About $100, 50 for the part 50 to put it in."

"Yes, but the impeller is important, it keeps water in the engine."

"I know you've already spent over a grand, but trust me, this is worth the money."

Poor schmuck is going to lose a 5,000 engine for a $50 part.

My impeller gets replaced every spring as part of normal preventative maintenance.

tazz3069
08-29-2008, 07:36 AM
Thanks. I forgot to mention about the impellor. I also change mine out every year. Before the sesson starts, I order my new impeller and gasket. I think it cost around $30.00 at a websight that Jesse C. told me to got to. It gets to the house and 30 min later and a cold one, the impeller is changed. Now that I am almost to 70 hrs, I will be taking it in to the dealership for a complete look at. They are checking the engine, tany, all the fluids, all the hoses, spark plugs, everything in the boat, and even the brakes on the trailer. This maintenance may cost a few bucks for you now. But think of it this way. By doing this, it can save you from thousands more in the future. Like I mentioned, I read lots of threads about people having problems with their boats. If these steps were taken, it means that you can have more time on the water and less time in the shop.

p.s. If boat is stored away because of either weather or just not using it, put your battery and a battery tender. Mine is stored in the garage, when not in use. Even though I will use it the following week or the second week after, it goes on the tender.

FoilTechHydrofoiler
08-29-2008, 11:23 AM
[QUOTE=Buttafewcoe;45623]At the least a visual inspection every outing. You may not believe it, but one time I accidentally left the beer cooler in the driveway![/QUOTE

What were you THINKING????

tazz3069
08-29-2008, 06:11 PM
Big time party foul. That should be first on the inspection list. Without the beer, you will not be able to handle the frustration that boating could bring. JK LOL. But seriously DO NOT FORGET THE BEER.

Tazz

Well I did all my inspections and off to Lake Powell we go. Yes I have the beer and extra beer just in case the first round goes too fast. LOL everybody.

bergermaister
09-03-2008, 08:09 PM
I think of it this way - A few hours of preventive maintenance before or after a trip, checking things over, tinkering around, etc. is well worth it compared to the ugly possibility of a few days or weeks of downtime when something breaks or burns up! My wife gets pissed that I'm messing around with the boat too long or too late sometimes but we haven't broken down on the water or had any problems on a trip yet!

I have friends who have shown up at the launch with dead batteries, no transom plug, wet moldy towels in the storage compartment and of course, no keys for the boat. That was a good one - and only a mere 200 miles away from home!

Last but not least...
Always, ALWAYS keep at least a half rack stashed in a storage compartment somewhere!

tazz3069
09-03-2008, 08:18 PM
Glad to see that people are taking care of their invesments. Keep up the good work and happy boating.