PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Boat Cover

Kelsey
08-24-2008, 09:34 PM
Does anybody have any good ideas on cleaning boat covers? Mine got a bunch of bird sh*** on it this weekend. Can I just throw it in the laundry machine? (not sure the wife is gonna like that)

maxpower220
08-24-2008, 09:57 PM
I have taken mine to a high pressure car wash to clean it. I hang it on the wall using the clips for car mats and the poles for propping it up in the boat: works well.

If I were going to use a machine, I think I would go to a laundry mat with one of those industrial sized washers. Either way, you may consider using a waterproofing agent on the cover after you have cleaned it.

Sled491
08-24-2008, 11:26 PM
With the boat still on the lift and cover secured, we just spray a little water on it and scrub it with regular push broom. Then just hose it off again. This should work on your trailer as well just need a ladder. The Sparrows crap on my cover soo much sometimes from a distance it looks grey!

Kelsey
08-25-2008, 07:30 AM
Sled, do you waterproof it?

Max makes a good point, but trying to waterproof that entire cover sounds like a job. And it puts me back into the same dilemma. How do I do it? I don't want to spray waterproofer all over the cover while on the boat, but where else do I get it to lay just right.

Sled491
08-25-2008, 08:57 AM
Kelsey,

I have never water proofed my cover. Mine has not leaked yet, but I did buy 3 adjustable poles to hold it up so no pooling to really get a leak.