PDA

View Full Version : No power to fuel pump

moombaextrav
08-23-2008, 07:42 PM
After about three hours of riding the other day, my boat just died and would not start. There is no power to the fuel pump and can't figure what would be causing this. Any suggestions?

Engine Nut
08-23-2008, 11:41 PM
After about three hours of riding the other day, my boat just died and would not start. There is no power to the fuel pump and can't figure what would be causing this. Any suggestions?

What engine is in your boat? Fuel pumps are activated differently depending on the engine. Is it carbureted or fuel injected?

moombaextrav
08-30-2008, 02:54 PM
This a fuel injected boat.

bobwells
08-30-2008, 05:46 PM
mine is a carb 5.7 and it has a sensor that screws in back of block at rear of eng. on top, that will not power fuel pump with out having oil pressure... replaced it once when I was not getting power to fuel pump. I'm sure engine nut will know the case for your fuel injected... I would trace wires from fuel pump with a test lamp with key on and find out where your losing power at... hope this helps , bob

Engine Nut
08-30-2008, 08:42 PM
This a fuel injected boat.

What year is your boat and whichfuel injected engine is in it. Do you hear the fuel pump come on when you turn the key switch on? There is a fuse in the system that protects the pump.Have you checkedit.Itis in a fuse block with two other fuses and is located near the plug on the engine where the boat harness and engine harness plug together. It has a cover in ot that is a couple of inches wide and 1/4" or so thick. The fuses are under that cover.

kaneboats
09-01-2008, 09:04 PM
Larry, very glad to see you on here again. Seems like it's been a while. We really value your expertise and willingness to share it. Hope you're having a great summer.

jettrack
09-04-2008, 12:57 PM
Larry is right, it is probrobly a blown fuse in the harness that is mounted on the back of the engine. If the engine is turning over but you do not hear the fuel pump engage that is the issue. What he failed to tell is what causes this, in my case with an 02 Outback it was a bad low pressure fuel pump that was shorting out, this is the brass colored Carter Fuel pump mounted on the side of the engine, not the pump that houses the water seperator Fuel filter. Do yourself a favor and replace that pump and it will solve your problem. The fuse in my case only blows when the engine is hot on a restart, it will not blow at any other time.

Jeff

brownski
09-06-2008, 11:15 AM
I am still having a similar problem with fuel pumps. I just replaced the carter with the same unit on my 99 outback,350 carburated. It ran great for two outings then died while running at low RPMs and would not restart. Pump seemed to be running but was really hot. It probably only has about 3 hours on it. Any ideas?