PDA

View Full Version : Fay

MrsZ
08-22-2008, 09:46 PM
Dang it, I can not find the posts that were referencing Fay.....since they were about something else originally. I guess we are the last. We just lost power (using generator) and out pool is yucky already. Also, they drained the lake in preparation for any flooding, I guess.

What happened/is happening in Tallahasse?

moombadaze
08-22-2008, 09:51 PM
how do you drain a lake, somebody just pull the plug? is it dry or just low. take a photo if possible.

MrsZ
08-22-2008, 10:00 PM
Sorry, they drained it down some. It is not dry, just real low. That is what the dam is for. They let the water into the bay. I guess the Gulf can take it better than the inland lakes can.

zegm
08-23-2008, 09:59 AM
Now we are in the eye of the storm. Was windy and rainy, but not too bad with either.The pool is now full of leaves, but they did restore our power last night. Transformer 3 houses down blew out the jack (fuse). Stupid tree limb was rubbing on the wires! Looking at radar the tail end looks worse as now it is over the Gulf and picking up more rain.

Deerpoint Lake was part of St. Andrews Bay which has 3 sections or arms, by building a dam across a section of North Bay that was fed by 3 large springs they created the Lake which now provides fresh water to PC. Most maps don't show this in clear detail and for years of coming down here to vacation I didn't know this either. But you can run down the dam and see the bay on the other side. The Lake is located on the map under the Bay County marking, it is created by dam which is also the road on the right of the 2 roads shown.
http://maps.yahoo.com/;_ylc=X3oDMTExNmIycG51BF9TAzI3MTYxNDkEc2VjA2ZwLWJ1 dHRvbgRzbGsDbGluaw--#mvt=m&lat=30.2225&lon=-85.596253&zoom=12

zegm
08-24-2008, 10:17 AM
Fay update!
We have been extremely lucky here in Panama City, seems we were the pivot point and stayed most of the time in the "eye of the storm" and dry. We only got a little rain and some drizzel yesterday but not enough to keep the kids inside. Now everyone East, North East and North of us took a pounding! Kaneboats are you OK? Jessie how bout you? Moomba97?

Right now the sun is shining outside.

MOOMBA_97
08-24-2008, 12:38 PM
ALOT of rain and pretty good wind at my house. I have my neighbors pine tree about 15 feet from my house! We are all safe though. Got to go get some fuel and bar oil for the chain saw.

Monty

JesseC
08-24-2008, 01:27 PM
Here in Alabama we had a LOT of wind on Friday. Stupid me took the day off and went to the lake! I had to try and get some sessions in before Fay made it up here. It has been extremely calm today. All we really saw was about 2 1/2 days of rain with out any really bad weather. I hope everyone esle fared as well as we have.

Bombguy
08-24-2008, 02:36 PM
Jesse,

Which lake do you frequent? I've got a little place on Smith Lake in Arley.

Neil

JesseC
08-24-2008, 05:33 PM
Jesse,

Which lake do you frequent? I've got a little place on Smith Lake in Arley.

Neil

My parents live on Lay lake and I have a dry storage slot there as well.

MrsZ
08-24-2008, 07:39 PM
JesseC, I didn't know you were in B'ham! Hows Vulcan now, a little cleaner? He's my fav statue! Zachary even has a little one in his room. He thinks his bum is funny too!

bobwells
08-24-2008, 08:22 PM
Tallahassee had 20+ inches of rain in some places, alot of closed roads and flooding, some of my friends are still w/out power...(since fri.) I was certainly blessed, no damage and never lost juice! They drained the lake down about 2' in preperation, it was still probally 20" below normal when I left for church ths a.m. by the time I got home it was above normal and they have 7 flood gates open and all the turbines on at 100% folks below the dam are fixing to have to head to higher ground as there is a bunch more water still coming down from the nth. side. this is on Lake Talquin...

JesseC
08-24-2008, 09:39 PM
JesseC, I didn't know you were in B'ham! Hows Vulcan now, a little cleaner? He's my fav statue! Zachary even has a little one in his room. He thinks his bum is funny too!

I was up at Vulcan about two months ago for an event called Vulcan After tunes where a band plays and they open the park up to everyone that has a ticket for the event. I am about 15 minutes away from the Vulcan statue. If you have ever been near Liberty Park which has the largest replica of the Statue of Liberty, you have been about 2 minutes away from my house!! If you and the fam end up in Birmingham again in the summer. PLEASE look me up and I can take your family out for a day on Lay lake. Perfect glass almost all the time!!

MrsZ
08-25-2008, 07:59 AM
Thanks JesseC, we will look you up next time we head that way. I love the glass water!

Since you live so close to him... does he moon you? I know, I am childish! But it just cracks me up!

kaneboats
08-25-2008, 08:00 AM
We got around 20 in. of rain in about 30 hours. It's raining more now. We lost power for 18 hours from Fri. night to Sat. Early Sat. morning a 75' pine tree fell and hit the house. We were lucky. It hit outside the wall pretty close to the edge so the roof damage did not cause any major interior leaking. It snapped a 4x4 swingset beam like a twig on the way down. I heard it smack the house and then slide all the way down the exterior wall. Pretty scary sound considering I was sleeping next to that wall. It's a mess around here now but the kids went to school.

moombadaze
08-25-2008, 08:03 AM
Pat, very glad to here everone is ok. 20 inch's of rain-wow, we got zilch from fay

kaneboats
08-25-2008, 08:17 AM
The ground was so saturated that trees were just toppling over all over the place.

You can see the photo galleries here: http://www.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/frontpage

MrsZ
08-25-2008, 08:29 AM
Kanaboats, I am so glad that y'all are OK. We were concerned for you. We got hardly anything here at all!

JesseC
08-25-2008, 09:07 AM
Kaneboats,
glad to hear that your family is OK. How are all the others down around that area?

Ed, haven't seen you on here in a few days....hope all is well with all the members of the clan.

Here in Birmingham, it is still raining. I think it is supposed to rain through thursday or so here. Still no dangerous weather, just a lot of rain. I am starting to get concerned about all the pine trees though.

kaneboats
08-25-2008, 10:44 AM
After the tree fell we wouldn't let the kids play upstairs at the back of the house. There was another one that looked like it could go but it didn't. The ones directly behind the house have pretty good drainage around them. But, the one close to the corner was in an area that gets saturated and it went down.

kaneboats
08-25-2008, 12:32 PM
I meant to say thanks too to everyone who asked. Thank you very much for your concern. All is well. And, I just found out that my neighborhood association is going to have this tree removed for me.

moombadaze
08-25-2008, 01:55 PM
that was way close to rippin your house down. heck i dont think a pro could have done better placing it so close

JesseC
08-25-2008, 04:57 PM
I know that most of us on the board are programmers or other types of I.T. personel. I also though the Florida guys that work in I.T. could relate to the storm chart below. I am originally from Jacksonville and my grandparents are in Dade county Miami and I know they can relate....

Storm and Office Closings

As we watch the progress of the storm, the following are the firm's guidelines based upon the hurricane's intensity:

Hurricane Category #1
No excuse for being late. Leave earlier to give extra time to avoid fallen trees and limbs.

Hurricane Category #2
Due to the horizontal rain, you may wear jeans.

Hurricane Category #3
Whereas most of the downtown area will be flooded we suggest you avoid wearing open toe sandals when coming to work. Canoes will be provided to get to the building safely without getting wet.

Hurricane Category #4
More than likely there will be no electricity. Given that, we will have manual typewriters available to all staff members. Please take extra caution and wear water-proof make-up if Category 4 or above.

Hurricane Category #5
Velcro will be provided to keep you attached to your chairs when the windows blow out. For those that survive, we will have chocolate cake from Publix at 3:00 pm in the kitchen.

In all seriosness, I hope that everyone stays safe and can return to the lakes soon.

God bless.

Mrs.Daze
08-25-2008, 06:58 PM
Wow Pat, pretty freaky...that's great that the assoc. will pay for the tree removal. Glad to hear that you and all of our other friends up there are OK.

JesseC, pretty funny. I think even non-IT people can relate!

Mrs. Kane
08-25-2008, 07:15 PM
On the bright side...there is a tree next to the house that had limbs growing close to our roof. We were going to have to get them cut some day. The pine took them right off. : ) It could have been SO MUCH WORSE as our kids bedrooms are right there.
Thanks for all your concern.