PDA

View Full Version : Beginner Advice Needed!

strickland7
08-21-2008, 01:14 AM
Due to a knee injury, I have been mainly driving the boat all year until last weekend. It was the first time I have wakeboarded since I was about 13-14 yrs. old. I am now 27. I have an 07' LSV and was wondering your best advice for beginners as far as speed, wake plate, ballast, etc. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Last weekend the ballast was empty and speed was 14-18. Wake plate was all the way down (to keep boat flat) and it seemed like the middle of the wake was a little rough. I was using a 80' spectra line too.

Do I need to shorten the line, move wakeplate up to get smoother wake, fill ballast or what?

Also, board is an 07' O'brien Fluent 137cm. I am about 6' tall and weigh about 175-180. Do I need a little longer board. It sure felt as if my body was working way too hard while up on the board. I work out frequently due to profession and am in pretty good shape but still seemed to get way tired way quick. Any help??

Thanks,
Kip

deafgoose
08-21-2008, 02:17 AM
I fill all ballasts and keep my wakeplate down. If I bring the plate up the wake is not as crisp. I use a 70ft rope and its perfect.

The slower you go the harder it will be on the arms. Slow speeds are great for learning surface tricks but you need speed to do jumps and ollies.

Your board is totally fine. My CWB Pure 134 is good for riders up to 170lb.

cab13367
08-21-2008, 02:37 AM
Due to a knee injury, I have been mainly driving the boat all year until last weekend. It was the first time I have wakeboarded since I was about 13-14 yrs. old. I am now 27. I have an 07' LSV and was wondering your best advice for beginners as far as speed, wake plate, ballast, etc. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Last weekend the ballast was empty and speed was 14-18. Wake plate was all the way down (to keep boat flat) and it seemed like the middle of the wake was a little rough. I was using a 80' spectra line too.

Do I need to shorten the line, move wakeplate up to get smoother wake, fill ballast or what?

Also, board is an 07' O'brien Fluent 137cm. I am about 6' tall and weigh about 175-180. Do I need a little longer board. It sure felt as if my body was working way too hard while up on the board. I work out frequently due to profession and am in pretty good shape but still seemed to get way tired way quick. Any help??

Thanks,
Kip

Kip,

When you say a little rough, I assume you mean it's got whitewash and not clean. I would suggest going a little faster, about 20 mph or so. And maybe shorten the line to about 70'. That should give you a clean wake at the point you are crossing it, and also be able to plane with less effort. I would also play with the wake plate (would start with it all the way up).

I like to fill the front ballast in order to help keep the nose down instead of deploying the wakeplate so as not to kill the wake.

Al

slacker
08-21-2008, 06:58 AM
strickland,

we have the same boat (07 LSV) - assume you have the Gravity 3 ballast?
On ours, we fill all three bags, 2 passengers up at the front, driver, and spotter. no wakeplate (as that flattens the wake) and i get a crisp, clean ramp even at 18.6 (using PP), and i think in the rope length is in the between 65-70.

agree w/ cab though, the faster you go, the better it will get through the low 20's.

spyder
08-21-2008, 09:30 AM
Right now, my setup is as follows.

Speed: 22 mph
Ballast: Ski Locker filled (only have gravity I Ballast)
Plate: All the way up.

i think about 70 feet on the line as well..