PDA

View Full Version : Flint River Sept. 27-28

kaneboats
08-20-2008, 05:49 PM
OK, we now have the date for our Flint River mini-Jam for N. Fla. and S. Ga. The link to the old thread with the camping info, etc. is right here:

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=6297

But, because we decided on late Sept. instead of Oct. we needed a new thread.

So far it's all 8 of the Kaneboats crew, Moombadaze and Mrs. Daze, Zegm and Mrs. Z and kids. I am sure we can count on Monty (Moomba 97) with family as well. I'll PM Bob Wells to see if we can get him to come up. His son Josh will put on a wakeboard show for us amateurs-- I have a prize to give him if he shows. Little Daze will love his daughter too.

Other suspects include Wolfeman and Maxpower. We'd love to see you guys if you can make it. Of course anybody else with interest is welcome too.

The tentative plan will be to meet up at 11 am on Sat. at the Flint River Boat Basin in Bainbridge GA. We can ski/board/surf up river 5-6 miles. We'll meet up at the beach where the rope swing is for late lunch (BYOL) and cocktails. Then we can ski/board/surf back toward the end of the day. We'll get the Moombadaze crew to host a smores party at their campsite afterward for anyone who wants to hang around. Anyone still around on Sun. we can play it by ear.

Mrs.Daze
08-20-2008, 07:06 PM
Sounds like fun. I'm looking forward to it!

MOOMBA_97
08-21-2008, 08:35 AM
I'm sure we'll be there. My Donna will be out of town the previous weekend so that works out well.

Monty

kaneboats
08-21-2008, 01:55 PM
Shoot! I left out the Ragdogs and dtlaine. Come on up, if you can. Glad we didn't plan this for the weekend coming up right here:

Fay, Fay, she won't go away!
We need to get our Moombas out.
Just a tropical storm you say?
Fay, Fay, please go away.

Fay, Fay, you leave it in doubt.
I got to run my Moomba today.
Fay, Fay, don't come here.
Need to go sip some (root) beer.

maxpower220
08-22-2008, 11:07 PM
I think we can make this. Don't know about camping if there are hotels close. I am not sure it will be cool enough yet to camp.

zegm
08-23-2008, 09:48 AM
Yeah pretty sure we won't be camping either with the inlaws just down the street. Have to spend time with them too, part of the rules.

kaneboats
08-25-2008, 08:11 AM
That's great, Paul. There is at least one motel close by. Maybe Monty has some inside info on where to stay though? He's been in the area a lot longer than us.

MOOMBA_97
08-25-2008, 09:54 AM
I would stay at one of two places. Either at The Charter House or the Jameson Inn. Both are on 27 South right across from Walmart and the Home Depot. The're pretty much next to one another and right off the bypass. I would probably choose the Jameson first. Here's the info on both.

Jameson Inn of Bainbridge
1403 Tallahassee Hwy
Bainbridge, Georgia 34801
Phone: 229-243-7000
Fax: 229-243-7728
E-Mail: [email protected]
Book A Room
61 Rooms; Exterior Corridor

The Charter House Inn
1401 Tallahassee Hwy
229-246-8550

kaneboats
08-25-2008, 10:30 AM
That would be about 5 min. from the boat ramp/park.

Mrs. Kane
08-26-2008, 10:25 PM
Please make sure everyone going knows about the @#$& rock.

kaneboats
08-26-2008, 10:52 PM
I am going to mark it the way I described earlier. You won't miss it. (I mean the marker, that is, not the rock.)

kaneboats
09-03-2008, 01:04 PM
Thought I'd bump this back to the top since our mini-jam is only about 3 weeks away. Sure hope everybody can make it and that we are done with tropical storms for a while. Have to keep an eye on the sky (no pun intended) in the meantime.

wolfeman131
09-03-2008, 01:44 PM
We're trying to get logistics figured out as our oldest daughter has a gymnaztics meet that weekend. We don't know if she competes Sat or Sun yet. If her team competes on Sun, we'll be down Fri night and leave late Sat afternoon. If she competes on Sat, we'll have to miss this one and meet up some other time.

moombadaze
09-03-2008, 03:33 PM
Im waiting paitently for the end of the month and just hope all the storms leave us alone.

Wolfeman, hope it all works out and you can make it.

kaneboats
09-03-2008, 05:10 PM
Me too. Would be great to meet you before we invade you next year.

kaneboats
09-15-2008, 01:34 PM
I was on the Flint all day on Sat. I only saw a couple boats out there all day. I think it was because the Georgia Bulldogs were playing at the time. Wow - did we get some nice water. Great day! I should have called Monty but I didn't know I had gas till 10 pm because all the hoarders were lined up at our stations around here. Also, I didn't get a chance to mark that big a$$ rock yet because I forgot to bring a buoy but I'm going out next Sat. too so I'll be sure to do it then. Sure hope everybody is still planning on coming now that the weather seems to have stabilized a bit.

Mrs.Daze
09-15-2008, 07:24 PM
Looking forward to it(as long as the coast of Africa doesn't hurl anything else at us)!!

MrsZ
09-15-2008, 08:29 PM
I am looking forward to it too. But I am having a little bit of aligator fear going on...memories coming back of the gators in that area! Eeeek.

moombadaze
09-16-2008, 09:05 AM
what gators? i thought we were calling them big green swimmin lizards.

kaneboats
09-16-2008, 09:50 AM
I am looking forward to it too. But I am having a little bit of aligator fear going on...memories coming back of the gators in that area! Eeeek.

I was a lot more worried about them in the area near your house than I have ever been up river on the Flint. Have you ever been on the Flint up above Bainbridge? Monty has been boating up there his whole life. He's never seen one. I've seen only one and it was in an area where I wouldn't get in the water anyway. I'll show everybody that spot and then where we go a couple miles above there. It will be fine.

MrsZ
09-16-2008, 01:12 PM
OK, I will trust all you big strong menfolk to protect us wimmins and chillins. :)

I have not been there. I was on the west side on the Hooch with a smallish (now) one and in Lake Seminole which had a MONSTER gator checking me out. Maybe they are nicer in the Flint.

zegm
09-16-2008, 01:31 PM
Kaneboats,

The biggest ones we have ever SEEN were in Lake Seminole and the Hoochee. The one checking out MrsZ in Seminole was a MONSTER!!!! It also explained why no one was swimming in the swimming area of the state park where he was creeping up on us! I have never seen them that big in Deerpoint, at least not where we ski. I do think there are some monsters up in the creeks that feed Deerpoint but we can't ski up there anyway.
MrsZ,
Remind me to bring Mr.Ruger as it seems to make you feel a little better knowing he is on duty if needed!

kaneboats
09-16-2008, 02:56 PM
I know where you are talking about down on the lake and back up the other way toward the Chatahoocheee. I never go down there. I know that during the hunting season the true hunters will head out there because of exactly what you described. When you see the area up river where we ski you'll feel much more comfortable about it. I wouldn't take the li'l darlings there if it wasn't safe. On the other hand one should always be mindful of the part of the country we live in and stay alert. Donna saw a cute li'l lizard crossing the road not too far from our house the other day after Fay hit here.

MrsZ
09-16-2008, 03:47 PM
Oh! I forgot to tell you a friend of mine at work calls it "Trollin for Gators" whenever I talk about taking the kids skiing.

moombadaze
09-16-2008, 03:57 PM
just in case we are leaving the barking bait home for the weekend.

kaneboats
09-17-2008, 12:07 PM
Well that's going to disappoint at least one little boy. Don't blame you though.

kaneboats
09-17-2008, 12:10 PM
Stacy, I was all set to have my little brother come out with us. He's the ocean surfer in the family who grew up down by the Sebastian Inlet. But, he's going over to J-ville for the FSU game that day. Oh well. Maybe I'll invite my other little brother. He's been nursing a bad back for the whole summer though.

moombadaze
09-17-2008, 12:46 PM
i would love to bring them but sometimes its just easier not to and then there is the gator issue . hopefully i can bring them to lanier next year

zegm
09-17-2008, 02:20 PM
When we first moved here I was warned by my neighbors that a Dog is to an Alligator like Pizza is to me! I had to spend 500 dollars to put up a Alligator fence across the back of our property to keep the dogs at least 50ft away from the bank! I also heard of a man who refused to listen to the local Kayak shop owner about taking his small dog with him on a sit on top kayak. Turns out the guy was paddling one day on the lake and a gator came out of nowhere and took the dog! That might explain our "sit in" kayaks we use now!

Mrs.Daze
09-17-2008, 02:36 PM
Stacy actually witnessed a dog get taken by a gator about 15 yrs ago. Although all he actually saw was the dog there playing, a big splash, and the owner calling for it, it was traumatic all the same.

kaneboats
09-18-2008, 09:54 AM
My neighbor has a dog that needs to go kayaking. No, that wouldn't be right. Maybe I'll just take the neighbor.

moombadaze
09-21-2008, 07:51 PM
anybody staying at the jameson inn for saturday night???

MrsZ
09-21-2008, 08:05 PM
We are staying at the Grand-Zegm Inn South :) (Grand-Zegm Inn North is at Sinclair).

MrsZ
09-21-2008, 08:34 PM
Wolfeman, what is happening with the gymnastics? Are y'all gonna show at the Flint Fiver?

moombadaze
09-21-2008, 08:37 PM
5 days togo and cant wait!

wolfeman131
09-21-2008, 10:09 PM
Wolfeman, what is happening with the gymnastics? Are y'all gonna show at the Flint Fiver?

Unfortunately, we won't be able to make it. T's meet is Sat morning and north of Atlanta so we wouldn't be able to get down until late afternoon, at best. Hope you all have a great time!!!

kaneboats
09-22-2008, 09:45 AM
That's too bad. I was hoping to meet you and the crew this year. We'll see you in Clermont in the spring, I hope. If not, it should be June up at your place.

I didn't get out this weekend. It's tough when school starts and all the activities get going. I'm really looking forward to next weekend. Stacy, are you guys camping or going to the Jameson? Coming in on Fri. or Sat.?

kaneboats
09-22-2008, 10:31 AM
This site has a photo of the Earl May Boat Basin where we will meet up on Sat. You can zoom in and see the 4 boat ramps. Also, you can see the short channel from the basin to the Flint River.

http://wiki.worldflicks.org/earl_may_boat_basin.html#null

moombadaze
09-22-2008, 01:02 PM
Pat, at this point it looks like we are leaving here around 12-1:00pm friday--gotta bust the youngin out of school a little early, and will be pitchin a tent across the street at that campgraound. I was kinda thinkin about driveing up sat morning and then just stay at the hotel that night but i just cant get over the thought of leaving the boat out in the parking lot. i feel like its just asking for somebody to f... with my stuff-i know you know what im talking about.

kaneboats
09-22-2008, 01:12 PM
I'm thinking about doing a little camping myself. I don't have many takers though. I think Meghan, Connor and Dan would stay with me. My other brother might too. He has a daughter M's age.

Do you think you would head back early on Sun. or go play for a while and then head home?

moombadaze
09-22-2008, 02:46 PM
I'm thinking about doing a little camping myself. I don't have many takers though. I think Meghan, Connor and Dan would stay with me. My other brother might too. He has a daughter M's age. that would be great. i'll make sure ive got us some yingling to drink for friday night if you come up

Do you think you would head back early on Sun. or go play for a while and then head home? i would like to stick around till 2:00 or so.

kaneboats
09-22-2008, 02:52 PM
OK. I'll work out the logistics soon. I might camp out both nights. I don't have to tow the boat home and back up there that way. Donna could just bring the other kids on Sat. morning and stay as long as she can stand it. Have to talk to her some more.

MrsZ
09-23-2008, 07:22 AM
I am sorry you can not make it Wolfeman. Have a good one anyway. Well see you next year when we all invade Sinclair. Maybe sooner if we go up earlier.

kaneboats
09-23-2008, 08:49 AM
Monty, Paul, haven't heard from you guys in a while. Are you joining us this weekend for the "Moombas on the Flint" regatta?

MOOMBA_97
09-23-2008, 11:29 AM
We'll be there Saturday. What time are you guys meeting up?

MrsZ
09-23-2008, 12:21 PM
Kaneboats, Do you know anything about this 3 mile trail? MrsDaze, you want to run together early Sat morning there if we can?

Earl May Boat Basin Park
The park features boat ramps in the basin. The basin is connected to the Flint River by a short canal. The park also has baseball fields, a playground, and a swimming area (no life guard). And on display there is an old steam locamotive and old sawmill equipment for self touring. There is a boardwalk that runs about 1/4 mile along the river. The park also features a 3 mile nature trail.

kaneboats
09-23-2008, 01:04 PM
I've only seen part of it from the water. It's been dry lately so it's probably walkable. I don't know how much of it is run-able but there is a circle drive all the way around the basin plus you can go under the highway bridge over to the city launch without crossing any streets. Lots of room to run there.

kaneboats
09-23-2008, 01:06 PM
We'll be there Saturday. What time are you guys meeting up?

Great to hear. Plan is to meet at 10 am and get everybody launched then head up river at 10:30 or so. Bring lunch. We'll meet up by the rope swing. I think it's about 5-6 miles up river. Does that distance sound about right to you, Monty? Also, did you tell Mark about this? Supras are welcome too!

Also, I talked to Bob Wells yesterday. He's trying to get stuff in order so he and his family can join us. You guys have to see the ditchboarder-- Josh -- on a wakeboard. He's dying to try a V-drive wake. I think we can get him a run.

MOOMBA_97
09-23-2008, 01:41 PM
The 3 mile nature trail you mentioned is both for running and walking. It goes through the ballfields etc. and loops back around. Never done it but my buddy takes his kids all the time. You can park there by the boat landing and you will see the paved (asphalted) path behind some old ballfields. The boardwalk is on the other side of the basin. It goes out into the river's edge. I go out there and eat lunch from time to time. I would not get excited about the train display, very lame. The animals out there (donkeys, emu etc.) are pretty cool though.

It's probaly 5-6 miles up river. Feels like a good ways up there. I went up there once this year. Went south the other times.

Mrs.Daze
09-23-2008, 06:25 PM
Kaneboats, Do you know anything about this 3 mile trail? MrsDaze, you want to run together early Sat morning there if we can?

Earl May Boat Basin Park
The park features boat ramps in the basin. The basin is connected to the Flint River by a short canal. The park also has baseball fields, a playground, and a swimming area (no life guard). And on display there is an old steam locamotive and old sawmill equipment for self touring. There is a boardwalk that runs about 1/4 mile along the river. The park also features a 3 mile nature trail.

I'll bring the shoes! Sounds like fun.

Kaneboats, I'm happy to hear you and some of your clan are camping. I'm going to miss having my margarita buddy though! I hope we have a chance to meet Bob Wells & family. Monty, glad you guys are coming! What about Maxpower?

bobwells
09-23-2008, 09:06 PM
Looks like all is a go with the Wells' family, we will see yall around 10:00a.m. Sat. unless something whacko happens... Pat, I told Josh you had been pumpin him up on here, he's like oh brother !... he hasnt ridden in 2-3 weeks, been slammed with school and golf team. He may be rusty, but we will have fun ! Look forward to seeing all of you, bob

kaneboats
09-24-2008, 09:49 AM
Bob- I'm really glad you guys are going to join us. Should be a great time. As for Josh-- he's seen me ride -- he could take a couple years off and still make me look like a crippled up old man (which I'm turning into).

MOOMBA_97
09-24-2008, 11:05 AM
Thought I would let everyone in on something I found out while patrolling Decatur County this AM. Appears that the drag boat races are scheduled for this Saturday. They will be doing them at the South sandbar, therefore this will not interfere with everyone going North but it can be VERY busy trying to put boats in and out at the basin. There is usually a large crowd that comes to them. I remember putting our boat in at 7:30am last year just to get a spot on the sandbar. Just wanted to let everyone know.

Monty

moombadaze
09-24-2008, 11:36 AM
how far up river will we be going? and how far down river? are the races-could be fun to watch a couple of them

kaneboats
09-24-2008, 01:18 PM
Oh crap! I searched for events and saw nothing about the races. It's a big event for Bainbridge but folks from other places wouldn't think it was that big, really. They do them about 1.5 - 2 miles south of the basin. It's usually in the afternoon. We should be OK getting launched at 10 am. We are heading about 5-6 miles N. of the basin. But, no reason you couldn't pop in for a little while to check it out if you wanted. Thanks for the heads-up, Monty. I would say that this event is not something I would cancel for or even move the date because of (like the ESPN bass tourney). But, it is nice to know it is going on and I wouldn't want to wait for a ramp at 12-1pm. Going earlier is good.

MOOMBA_97
09-24-2008, 01:20 PM
I actually just found out about them today. I usually know pretty well in advance. I'm not sure what time they get started but last year it was @ 10 or 11. People just start putting boats in fairly early, of course this has been in past years.

kaneboats
09-24-2008, 01:34 PM
Well, we may end up parking our trailers back at the campsite. Maybe Stacy and I will launch real early and stake out parking spots that we can give up to other Moomba folks who come later.

Stacy, I forgot to mention that there is a movie on, I think, Sat. night at the pavillion right across from the campground. I think they said it's a kids' movie, Peanuts/Snoopy or something. Anyway, it's easily walkable from the campground.

moombadaze
09-24-2008, 02:10 PM
all i can say is the boat is gased, straped down and im ready to go. Oops still got to go buy beer and ice for friday night--guess im not that ready.

kaneboats
09-24-2008, 11:33 PM
I went and gassed up tonight. Cleaned up the rig a bit and fixed the interior light issue on the truck. Started digging out the camping stuff. I kind of forgot that we packed in a hurry at Lanier when the storm was blowing in. My tarps and tent were not folded neatly. Picked up some extra grill gas and some supplies too. Have to stock up on ice. (There's a gas station about 45 seconds away from the campground but I can't vouch for the hours it's open). FYI, I paid 3.63 in Tally today for gas.

zegm
09-25-2008, 05:14 PM
Hi All!

I have bad news!!!! It looks like we aren't going to make it to the Flint River Jamboree! :(
We have to take care of some personal business instead.

I am hoping that maybe we can at least come by Sunday morning if anyone is still going to be around.

Sorry,

M,G,E and Z

kaneboats
09-25-2008, 06:03 PM
Oh, that's really disappointing. I'll be camping with some of the kids at the KOA across the street with the Moombadaze family. They are going to hang around till 2 or so and I may stay for most of the afternoon on Sun. (the Bears play at night). I hope everything's OK with all of you.

Mrs.Daze
09-25-2008, 07:09 PM
Hi All!

I have bad news!!!! It looks like we aren't going to make it to the Flint River Jamboree! :(
We have to take care of some personal business instead.

I am hoping that maybe we can at least come by Sunday morning if anyone is still going to be around.

Sorry,

M,G,E and Z

:( Very bummed.

moombadaze
09-25-2008, 07:56 PM
Mike, hope all is well and wish you and your family all the best.

maybe sunday???

Stacy

bobwells
09-25-2008, 08:33 PM
Pat, we are going to try to leave around 8:00 am. or so, call me on my cell ph. Sat. a.m. if you find your in need of anything and I can pk it up in Quincy. see ya Sat. ! bob

kaneboats
09-25-2008, 09:56 PM
You better look for us at the KOA campground across the street if you come that early. I'll have the coffee on and some griddlecakes going. You have my cell # just in case you can't find us- HA HA-- just look for Moombas. I'm stoked about this thing.

kaneboats
09-25-2008, 10:16 PM
Looks like my little brother is going to meet up with us on Sat. afternoon with his daughter who is the same age as my red one and Moombadaze's only. He'll also have his nephew who is around their age and a real good kid. They are maybe going to camp with us on Sat. night. Sure wish those zegm kids were going to be around. I do really hope we see you guys on Sun.

zegm
09-25-2008, 10:47 PM
Hi all! It is so great to have such nice friends.
Yes everything is OK we just have an opportunity to get our hands on a very rare vehicle at a great price but we have to drive to Charleston SC to do it on Saturday. I tried to postpone but it would be gone. Hopefully we will be in it when we come back by and we will show it off to you all!!!!

We really hate it but this is actually going to make it easier for us to get around with the pretty blue Moomba behind us/it!!!

kaneboats
09-25-2008, 10:52 PM
OK, just glad to hear it's business and not family issues. You know where to look for us and you still have my cell, right?

I'll warn you that many services have a dead spot near Bainbridge but Verizon works great. So, if you call me an hour out you will get me but if you get closer your own service might not work too well. You guys have a safe one and we wish you the best on your endeavor. Also, please feel free to drop off Z and E on the way. I bet they're ready to mutiny!

zegm
09-25-2008, 11:01 PM
Well E might not be so thrilled but Z is telling me we have to do it. He is a huge car nut and can name off exotic cars that I don't know a thing about!!! But hopefully we can get a chance to drop in, it will be without our boat but what can you do. The boat is hanging up in her new boat lift high and dry and out of the sun! They finally finished it after almost 2 months!!! OK maybe it was 6 weeks but Faye and IKE messed us up!

kaneboats
09-25-2008, 11:12 PM
Well, you owe us pics of the finished lift. Be sure to pack trunks if you stop in on Sun. Have G bring her ski and get a pull behind the invisible wake I have at 32 mph. See you soon!

kaneboats
09-26-2008, 09:17 AM
a very rare vehicle at a great price . . .
. . . this is actually going to make it easier for us to get around with the pretty blue Moomba behind us/it!!!

Didn't know BMW made a 4 wheel drive pickup. Congrats!

MrsZ
09-28-2008, 06:57 PM
Kaneboats, you are just so funny, man! I am really sorry that we missed all the fun on Saturday. :( Thanks for the pull today....and look after that knee!

Oh, Mike is STILL driving that Diesel Touareg around the block over and over. :)

zegm
09-28-2008, 08:02 PM
Yeah I like my new boat hauler! Hey Moomba/SC you should check out this VW Diesel V-10 TDI engine!!! 553lb ft torque!!! Master Craft has it as an option!!!! And after driving my new baby around the block a couple of times I know why!!!!!

Mrs.Daze
09-29-2008, 07:32 AM
Well "Moombas on the Flint" was another fun weekend. The river was beautiful and the sand bar was the perfect spot to hang with our friends for awhile. Kaneboats, it was fun camping next to you & the kids! Mrs. Kane, thanks for the sandwiches. It was fun reminiscing about old 80's songs with you.
Mrs.Z & family, I'm glad we got to see you before we took off. Sorry we didn't stay around to give you a pull.

kaneboats
09-29-2008, 10:47 AM
It was really great to see everybody. ZEGM, hope you guys enjoy that new power wagon. Pretty slick. Daze and Mrs. Daze, thanks for taking such good care of everybody. Towing people all day, hauling hitchhikers, fixing plates, and just being your wonderful selves. You sure make the whole thing easier and lots of fun for me. Little Daze wasn't the only one who was sad when you left. I was also glad you guys all got to meet Bob and his very sweet family. We might have to make this an annual event. It was really a lot of fun. I'll try to get some pictures posted today.

moombadaze
09-29-2008, 11:14 AM
Pat, on the drive home i was talking to Laurie about next years events and we will be back for more "MOOMBA'S on the flint"

kaneboats
09-29-2008, 11:18 AM
That's great to hear. You can come any time you want. We'll figure out the plans for Orlando, Tampa, Atlanta, Lake Sinclair and see what's left. September is usually pretty darn good if we avoid the very end of the month when the water is a bit cool.

maxpower220
09-29-2008, 01:15 PM
Yeah I like my new boat hauler! Hey Moomba/SC you should check out this VW Diesel V-10 TDI engine!!! 553lb ft torque!!! Master Craft has it as an option!!!! And after driving my new baby around the block a couple of times I know why!!!!!

What kind of mileage did that give you on your return trip? C&D had a chart on alternative fuel vehicles which showed how many miles it would take to recoup the cost. On the V-10, they had the infinity symbol: or never. I just wanted to know if they were way off base or what.

zegm
09-29-2008, 03:16 PM
We got around 20 to 21mpg. You are probably correct it does not always pay to spend more money for a diesel if after 100k miles you don't pay off the difference. Knowing this the purpose of these vehicle was to replace my beloved BMW 540i 6-speed and our Chevy Silverado Truck with just one vehicle. This was the closest thing that could do both jobs. I love a great handling fast car (this Touareg is FAST!) and we needed a truck capable of hauling our 25ft boat (6600lbs). When you do the math and then research the market there are not many vehicles out there that can do both and with such style. Also, keep in mind we did not pay "list" price for this vechile. After trade ins and a good interest rate it put the cost of the Touareg closer to that of a nice new "gas" Avalanche! You also have to add in the "Porsche" factor, this is the same vehicle as the Cayanne however it has a VW emblem on it and hence depreciates much faster than if it did with the Porsche emblem on it. We got a GREAT deal on what is basically a 2006 model that is basically brand new. It has 14.5k miles on it and was taken care of like a newborn. It also didn't hurt that it had paddle shifters too since I am such a Euro Techno Geek!!! I would sum it up like this, if the Cayanne is the MasterCraft well then we just spent the Moomba amount for the VW! Calculated gasoline savings at the house for a month will figure on being between 200 to 300 bucks depending on who is driving it. I don't want to go into more details but lets just say that MrsZ who doesn't drive far at all to work wouldn't drive the traded in vehicles. Now she will drive this one to work. That means I can finally drive her 41mpg Diesel Jetta and this is where the savings come from. I drive a lot of miles during the week!