PDA

View Full Version : LSV or Outback V?

Paul
08-20-2008, 10:22 AM
Hey Gang,
I am interested in Moomba and have looked for a while now. I cannot find a Moomba in my lake to ride in as I am concerned about the wake size.

here's what I'm looking for. I am a skier (no pro just recreatioal slalom skier) everyone elso wakeboards.

My question:
Is the LSV hull going to produce too much wake to make slalom skiing enjoyable?

Is the wake on the Outback V too small even with the ballasts to produce a good wake for the boarders?

Thanks in advance for the advice,

Paul

deafgoose
08-20-2008, 10:38 AM
Sounds to me like you should be looking at the Outback and LS instead of the Outback V and LSV.

kaneboats
08-20-2008, 10:46 AM
Paul, if you new guys would post your location we might be able to offer you some better help. We have guys (and gals now) everywhere and most are willing to help any way they can. Don't worry, we're not going to come over and drink your beer (OK, I will -- if you're within 200 miles -- but most of the others won't).

yager97
08-20-2008, 11:02 AM
Paul,

Wake size is a band-aid for bad technique. I own a 03 mobius LSV which is the same hull as the current outback V. I can assure you with the wake behind my boat is mackin and I have no problem throwin down any inverts or spins behind the boat. I have an extra 1200 pounds of ballast on top of the stock ballast, but it is not required for beginners or intermediate riders, the wake was good stock when i bought it. As far as sking goes, I have had a few people ski behind it, and they thought it was OK, its not a dedicated slalom machine so there is some tradeoff, but it will be better than the current mobius lsv due to the size difference and weight between the two. My suggestion is Outback V, this years, next years looks like it will be an even better wakeboard machine. It looks awesome

yager97
08-20-2008, 11:12 AM
first pic is boat with stock ballast when it was first bought at 65' and 21mph.....
second pic is with additional ballast this year at 75' of line and 24 mph.

jmvotto
08-20-2008, 11:21 AM
Ditto on what yaeger said. I have the OBV and the slalom is decent, no courses but you can weight it up as well. DG has surfed behind his 08 iam going give it a try. Wake plate is necessary to slalom behind it.

Pre 06 LSV work as well.

my .02

ABUCKOTOMAMBO
08-20-2008, 11:26 AM
If you are buying a new boat from a dealer. I would highly encourage you to get a test ride. If you are buying used I would only purchase the boat after a test ride.

I think it is fair to say the people purchasing a tournament level ski/wakeboard boat for recreation purposes are rather persnickety group. If you don't get your test ride and you find some little thing that you don't like with the boat it will only lead to frustration and resentment....

I have an Outback V. I grew up only slalom skiing mostly behind my family's I/O. I did have the opporunity to ski with a very informal "ski team" behind a Master Craft 190. It was behind that where I learned the slalom course. But I also went through the course with the I/O too.

I use my Moomba for slalom 60% trick 20% wakeboard 20%. The biggest reason for choosing a V drive boat was also for the "social" aspect of the floor plan. Storage is great too.

Biggest question? What do you currently own? I/O or another direct drive boat. If you are coming from an I/O the wake behind an Outback V with the wakeplate 100% down is far superior at 15' off.

I did ride behind LSV too. In my opinion Outback V is the best crossover.

deafgoose
08-20-2008, 11:45 AM
Ditto on what yaeger said. I have the OBV and the slalom is decent, no courses but you can weight it up as well. DG has surfed behind his 08 iam going give it a try. Wake plate is necessary to slalom behind it.

Pre 06 LSV work as well.

my .02

This is what my surf wake looks like. The wakeplate is at 50% and two stock ballasts are filled with 7people in the boat.

http://www.wakesurf.ca/movies/wakesurf.mpg

Sled491
08-20-2008, 07:49 PM
Whoever said that huge wake is a crutch for bad form is correct. I have seen guys at cable parks doing inverts! So how much wake do you really need! IMHO it's easier to create a decent wake than it is to flatten one out for skiing. Heck we are surfing sucesfully behind a regular Outback with almost no ballast, and blowing any ski wake out there away! I find myself on the usual DD side of the discussion. The Mobius LS is a very potent boat and has more stock features than an Outback V (08 version) for about the same money.

maxpower220
08-20-2008, 08:27 PM
Old school boarders Shapiro, Gator, and Byerly were doing inverts, raleys, etc behind Jets Skis on the Pro Tour in the 93-96 era of boarding.

Test drive and ski behind any boat that you are thinking about buying. It is a lot of money to waste if you aren't happy with the wake.

Bluepilot
08-21-2008, 10:28 AM
Make sure you demo the boats BEFORE you buy (lesson I learned the hard way). In my opinion the lsv is the best "Do it all Boat" but thats my opinion. My whole family tried all the boats out then we took a vote and bought.

zabooda
08-21-2008, 11:10 AM
Paul, you got really good replies and being a recreational skiier I would expect the V would do you well. I wouldn't expect the wake to be any worse than behind an i/o which myself and many others had used for years. You need to test ride one to see if the wake is good for you. My next boat may be a V as I am getting to be more recreational all the time.

Paul
08-21-2008, 02:49 PM
Hey Gang,

Thanks for all of your replies, I have mostly skied behind I/O and OB most of my life. I definitely want a V because fo the storage and social aspect. At the Chicago (where I live) boat show I looked at both the Outback V and LSV. The LSV even though a foot longer seemed to have much more room in the back than the Outback. I will take a test ride but from what it sounds like the LSV will work good. As I said I'm looking for an all around boat, and it's difficult to find a good mix with the extreme needs of different sports, ie wakeboarding, skiing, surfing, ect. Thanks again for all of your replies, I really appreciate it and will continue to check back on the board for all of your fun pics.

Paul

gcombe74
08-21-2008, 04:56 PM
my opinion you cannot go wrong with either one! Great choice of MFG either way! :D

mccreatr
09-18-2008, 11:36 PM
I am an old school slalom skier at heart. I still like to slalom. I have only been wakeboarding for about 2 yrs now. I really love my 04 Mobius LSV. It generates a great wakeboard wake. However, once you empty all the ballasts and put the wakeplate down it also has a great slalom wake. I was skiing a course this summer with it and it was no problem at 22 off. The only thing I noticed was the fewest number of people in the boat when slaloming the better. Once I was ready to wakeboard or surf... load it up! the V's are a great dual boat but if you are only planning on skiing, go with the direct drive.

Good Luck

BensonWdby
09-19-2008, 07:47 AM
My experience is that 80% of wakeboarders spend their time doing wake-to-wake jumps from the heel side. I can accomplish the same thing on my slalom ski. I am not anti-wake boarding, just don't see the attraction unless you are going to go upside down. For wake-to-wake - you can do that behind almost any boat, including outboards. Add a couple of bodies and and a few 5 gallon pales of water and you can make most people happy.

The V drive gives you more inside space, but you can't beat the handling and wake of a DD.

Dave (committed slalom skier)

Sled491
09-19-2008, 08:56 AM
Dave I think you are being generous with your #'s. There are people on this site claiming "They love to go Big" and post all kinds of pics of like you say Wake to wake jumps.

My buddy started wakeboarding 2 years ago and is just thrilled with his wake to wake jumps. In a conversation with me, he claimed that he had mastered skiing and that it held no interest for him.

It was all I could do to not break out laughing histerically. In my humble opion he was never that good of a skier, never mastering even the basics of good linked turns.

Like my D3 shirt says, "If it were easy they'd call it Wakeboarding"

Enough said!

BensonWdby
09-19-2008, 04:27 PM
It must be exciting to know a world class Pro skier - since they are the only guys I know who have come close to 'mastering skiing'.

I find you can always go faster or shorter..... and if you are outside the course you can go 'really short...'

Sled491
09-19-2008, 09:58 PM
Imagine my thrill. Although watching him ski didn't seem to be as thrilling as I thought it would be.

jmvotto
09-20-2008, 07:40 AM
kinda like golf unless you shoot 18 under par, you just haven't mastered it.

:rolleyes:

KTM525
09-20-2008, 07:51 AM
for me - it doesnt matter - skiing, wakeboarding... until your a pro and want to win a contest, the first thing is: to have fun.

I dont like the DD because i dont like to have the engine between the people and when skiing the usable seats are getting short...

zegm
09-20-2008, 09:30 AM
KTM,

We bought the optional Jump seat with our 08 LS and that helps greatly. You can't call any of the V drives crossover boats until you can successfully go through the ski course!!!! I don't know who started this crossover term with the OBV?, the only crossovers are the DD as they can be made to put out a bigger wake and still you can slalom behind it, but a V drive will never have a decent slalom wake.
We own the LS and it has plenty of room and if someone has to move to the front it just helps flatten the wake out that much more. And go through the ski course and we surf behind it with the factory ballast!

zegm
09-20-2008, 12:36 PM
Your on!

The week I brought the LS home I had 10 people sitting in it while it was parked in the driveway. It was not a test, we had some friends come over, some neighbors walked by and before you know it everyone was sitting in the boat in their own seats just chilling. The boat just turned into a porch and we all just sat talking about the kids, the weather etc. in comfort. Even with a V drive no-one is sitting in the center void on the floor! I can lay completely flat out on the rear bench seat and I am over 6 ft. tall. And here is something else no one really mentions the kids actually like to sit on the engine cover so it cannot be discounted as not being a seat either. And we also ordered the extra jump seat which sits behind the drivers seat in our boat so that someone can sit there while MrsZ tears up the slalom course.
Yes the V drive layout does make a better arena but I bought a boat to ski not for the seating conditions. If that was my main factor I would have a pontoon boat in the backyard.

Mikey
09-20-2008, 10:33 PM
ZEGM I totally agree with everything you said.I/we love our Outback DD and if we were to move up to anything else It would Only be an LS like yours.We ski first and every thing else follows and so far we are more than pleased with how well our boat does. 09 Outback V a cross over boat maybe but the jury is still out untill thats proven by a few Qualfied or not owners /skiers who can really verify the crossover aspect of the new boat.It really depends on what you want and expect your boat to do.Who knows?