PDA

View Full Version : 08 and 09 Outback V side by side

McMoomba
08-19-2008, 11:56 AM
So it is raining here in Texas and not being able to board resulted in the following. It is not perfect but I was wodering just how different the size and shape was of the new 09.

-McMoomba

04OUTBACK
08-19-2008, 04:50 PM
It looks as though they did more with less..

If you really look at the 1' measurement lines, the front is REAL close in size and the rear cockpit looks a bit longer.
One diff is the nose of the 08 is longer, but you do not gain any interior space on that.
Tower seems to be further back on 09..

Ed, Hope You find one under your Christmas Tree!:o

wolfeman131
08-19-2008, 05:18 PM
Grat seeing them side by side. I printed the pics out and it looks like the walkthrough look narrower on the '09. Could this be as the boat is overall wider? Also, I wonder how the bimini will cover with the tower being moved further back, maybe a larger overall covered area?

I just bought my OBV this summer, so I'm just looking under the tree for racks, tower speakers and a few other toys - but I can't wait to see the '09 live and check out the improvements.

McMoomba
08-19-2008, 06:00 PM
I agree with the observations except there apears loss of bow seating which could hinder the comfort of the ladies with long legs...

McMomba

wolfeman131
08-19-2008, 06:23 PM
I agree with the observations except there apears loss of bow seating which could hinder the comfort of the ladies with long legs...

McMomba

McMooba, probably the best observation yet as this can also impact the happiness of the driver. :cool:

Sled491
08-19-2008, 07:38 PM
I also agree the bow seems smaller. But from the side, I wonder why the top cap is built taller? The overall depth of hull from the rub rail is different for sure, but not by much. However looking above the Rub rail you can see that interior depth would be increased by increasing the height of the top cap. I makes the boat seem meatier and not as slender and sexy giving the perception of a bigger boat.

lanceswake
08-19-2008, 11:06 PM
Something I noticed as interesting is that the steering wheel barely moved at all.

McMoomba
08-20-2008, 11:35 AM
Here ya go Ed.

byronkoz
08-20-2008, 03:24 PM
Hopefully they didnt shorten the rear lockers any?? That wouldnt be very surf friendly.

McMoomba
08-20-2008, 04:22 PM
The rear compartments actually look wider so it may allow for more weight....

EAGER_BEAVER
08-20-2008, 05:43 PM
Its nice to see the windshield move closer to the bow. Now if we could just bring back the walk-over or create a small closed bow wake boat I'd really be excited.

Sled491
08-20-2008, 07:09 PM
Is that the new official nick name the "Grey Whale"? It certianly looks much deeper than the Outback DD, especially in the stern. Looks like the whole cockpit has been moved forward as well. Doesn't look like the boat for me, but sure seems to have tickled Ed's fancy. Ed will you be the 1st to own one? The bank has lots of money Gidy up cowboy!

bashton
08-23-2008, 10:15 AM
Thanks for the comparison pics, that is really neat.

Although I do think they look cool, I much prefer the looks of the (our) '08 Outback. It seems like nearly all of the companies are going toward a more conventional "regular" boat look.

I prefer my Ski/Wake boat to really look like a Ski/Wake boat. I know the higher freeboard may make for a more comfortable ride and maybe some more room, but I'd rather drive a Ferrari than a Station Wagon too! lol

BA

zegm
08-23-2008, 10:42 AM
Station Wagon!!!???

Actually if the freeboard is scaled with the length the look the same (LS/LSV) but if the freeboard gets higher and the length is reduced then you get the new look. I think Moomba does the best job at keeping a simple but elegant look, one with clean lines. Their towers in my opinion are by far the best looking because of the clean simple lines. I don't need no stinking z-bars with big ole shiny plates that rotate and make funny sounds. Look at a Porsche 911, same simple but elegant body shape since the mid 60's. If it works stick with it and I think Moomba does this best!

EAGER_BEAVER
08-23-2008, 11:35 AM
Zeg is right about the lines and stoopid looking towers on other new boats. I havent liked anything from Bu in many years. Nauti has gone bad much more recently with their looks since about '05.