PDA

View Full Version : repairing transom gelcoat

Chris_B
08-18-2008, 10:55 PM
I noticed some stress cracks in the gel coat below the port-side mounting bracket for my swim platform. One crack extends horizontally several inches toward the outside of the boat.

What would cause this?

What is the solution to the cause?

What is the fix for the hairline cracks in the gelcoat?

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b8d637b3127ccec4b588aa455a00000040O00JbMWLRqyZA9 vPg4/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D480/ry%3D320/

cpudoktr
08-20-2008, 12:08 PM
I've got the same thing going on with my LSV. Although mine are directly underneath the hinges for the engine/balasts area cover. I can only assume it's from the stress of 6 years of opening and closing the cover. I tried some surface repair stuff from 3M but all it really did was make it nice and shiny. Hoepfully someone has some helpful hints on this. I'm sure it's more cosmetic than anything else, but it would be nice if there was something to at least keep it from spreading.

helix_rider
08-22-2008, 03:07 PM
I have a small 1/4 inch crack starting right at my fuel tank cover...and I use plastic jugs to fill my boat, so I'm 99% sure it was not from being hit. I also have a nick possibly from a rock being thrown into the underside of the boat. I could use any help in the 'stop it from spreading' category as well. Thanks.

flatlander
03-26-2010, 01:28 PM
Mine too. Sounds like an epidemic. Is there a vaccine?

squeeg333
03-26-2010, 02:06 PM
As far as DIY repair, I'm not sure. I know you can get patch kits that can be used to fill in gouges or things of that nature. As far as cracks go though, I'd take it to a fiberglass place. They might be able to determine the cause, but for sure will be able to repair the cracks.
I'm not a lot of help, but that's what I'd suggest.

jmvotto
03-27-2010, 08:42 AM
sprectrumcolor has repair kits, but you may want to find the source of the cracks, if its cosmetic , then these work realtively well for DIY, color matching is better done by a professional gel coat master.

http://www.spectrumcolor.com/default_main.asp

kennedy
03-27-2010, 09:00 AM
I had this same problem on my XLV. I took the boat into the local body shop that I knew could work on boats and had them fix the boat. They charged me $950 to complete the work and then another $500 for a TOTAL CLEANING and the stripped the boat down and rewaxed the entire boat. Looks amazing you would think the boat was NEW again!! Worth the bucks on something that provides as much fun as it does.