PDA

View Full Version : Key spins in ignition

JeffTx
08-18-2008, 07:42 PM
On the lake this Saturday and after a great run got back in the boat and found that the key would spring fully around in the ignition switch. Assumming the spring inside is broken. I was able to get it to the right position to start and then manullay back it off to prevent grinding the starter and headed for the dock. Am headed back to the lake this weekend but would like to take a new ignition switch with me. (Was not able to pull the old switch before we headed home). Does anyone know what switch is used in a 2002 Outback LS? Thanks

Jeff

Sled491
08-18-2008, 07:57 PM
I can't help you with a part #, but 04Outback I think once said he had a problem with forgetting keys and stopped at a NAPA or someplace like that and bought a standard ignition set and it worked perfect for him

JeffTx
08-18-2008, 08:03 PM
I was hoping somebody would say that. Thanks very much for the info.

Thanks

Jeff

dtlaine
08-18-2008, 09:16 PM
You may want to check behind the ignition switch. When I was growing up, we had a Sea Ray, and there was a piece on the back that would come loose from time to time. When the key was turned, the whole assembly would turn. All it took was one hand holding the ignition where the key goes in and another hand behind it tightening the ring up. I hope your fix is that simple.

JeffTx
08-18-2008, 09:48 PM
Funny you say that because I had the exact same issue with my 93 SeaRay. Unfortuantely this is different. The key will actualy turn within the cylinder and cycle through turning the engine over. It is more like the spring inside is that returns the key back to the run position after the engine starts is broken. If I am really careful, I can turn the key to where the engine starts and the after it starts, carfully turn it back to disengage the starter but not far enought to shut the engine off. That is how we got back to the dock. Thanks very much for the help.

dtlaine
08-18-2008, 09:55 PM
Our's was a 93 as well. It was a 185 bow rider. I learned to ski and wakeboard behind that boat. I would have really appreciated a tow boat. Good luck with your key situation. If you have to replace the ignition anyway, you may want to see if you can get a key pad ignition like correct craft. I think that feature is so cool.

04OUTBACK
08-19-2008, 11:33 AM
Autozone, $10 saved the day!!!!!!

Moomba ignition has 3 wires.. the autozone one had 4 (extra was for accessory) which I did not use.. I got extra keys made now so I switched back to the factory ignition, BUT, stored the replacement ignition in dry box on boat!.. never know when you might need it..
Make sure you disconnect the battery before doing this.. it is real easy to accidentally touch wires and bump the starter..