PDA

View Full Version : Winterization Regards Boat Heater

rickmcd59
11-21-2003, 07:55 PM
I have a 2001 Moomba Kamberra with the factory heater. Blows hot air on boat driver.s feet and has two outlets on the right side of the "walk thru" area of the windshield where you walk thru to get to the "open bow" area.

Does anyone know whether any kind of water should be drained at any specific place with regards to the heater. I had someone tell me that there was no water involved in the "heater operation" - that hot air was simply directed from the engine compartment and force blown somehow to the heater outlets. If so no water would be involved. Does anyone know any different? If so, how do you handle winterization regards the "heater".

Yellowmobius
11-24-2003, 08:11 AM
I can't imagine it is hot air off the engine compartment, you would get the fumes with the hot air.

There should be hoses, in/out onthe back of the heater core that tap into the engine block. On my boat one hose connects near the water pump and the other connects to the right side of the engine, just below the exhaust manifold.
I disconnect both hoses from the engine, lay one down in the bottom of the boat. Then I take a blow gun and blow air in the other hose until all the water comes out of the hose laying in the bottom of the boat.

THIS IS A MUST if you chance a freeze, if you don't you will crack your heater core.

SMUMATTMAN
11-24-2003, 10:35 AM
Wow, Lots of conversation about winterizing. Maybe I am lucky and have a Moomba dealer within in 45 minutes of my house that charges $135 for winterization. Seems like a small price to pay to ensure a 35K boat is protected and that you have someone to go back to should something go wrong.