PDA

View Full Version : high pitch squeal in V-drive at low RPMs

Bluesman
08-18-2008, 04:54 PM
We have a 2005 Mobius LSV with 208 hours on it. This week at Lake Oroville I noticed a new sound that only takes place when the boat is in gear going forward at low RPM's. It is intermittent; sometimes most prominent at 800 RPM, sometimes 900 or 1000. Very little at all above 1000.

I checked the fluid level and found it just barely below the bottom line of the operation range. Checked for a leak but couldn't find one.

Anybody else had this problem?

4fun
08-21-2008, 07:49 AM
The same just happened to us yesterday, but can't attest to the rpms. Looking for guidence too.

chadramsey75
08-27-2008, 12:22 PM
I called Skidim when my buddies boat started doing this last year... according to them it could be several things including the bearing and bracket under the boat for the shaft, the alignment of your shaft, or the transmission itself... this was with a Direct drive, but I would think they could give you a list of things to check. His would happen right after he shifted into neutral from having it in gear, right around 800 RPM. He took it to a shop and they told him that it was like looking for a (and I quote) "ghost in the darkness". So he let it ride... I haven't ridden with him since I got my boat this year, but he says it has gone away. Hope this helps.