PDA

View Full Version : Taking on Water?

2000OUTBACK
08-18-2008, 03:57 PM
This weekend I dropped the boat in and the batteries were dead..... Well for about a hour or so I tried to jump it off. While we were tied to the dock for that time the boat took on some water. Has anyone had a problem with a Outback taking on water? As soon as I got it started the bilge pump was pumping it out. So that kinda tells you how much it took on.
Thanks, Thomas

jester
08-18-2008, 04:56 PM
Have you checked the packing screw? I have been told that this should drip a little but can cause the boat to take on more water then it should.

spyder
08-18-2008, 05:57 PM
yeah, packing nut most likely, with a 9 year old boat, if its never been changed.. for sure...

there should be a large nut in between the shaft and the tranny. look for leakage.

my 06 needed a change already... go ahead and buy the dripless packing from skidim

you need to find out if you need 1/4" or 3/16"

1/4"
http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=GFO1/4X24
3/16"
http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=GFO3/16X24

not insanely easy to change... but not too difficult either...

Waynes345
08-18-2008, 06:09 PM
First time I put my '99 in the water, the previous owner hadn't tightened the shaft jam not and I shipped a lot of water. S/b 1/4" packing (Skidim part - PR25X17 ROPE PACKING 1/4" 2.00 $6.00) and Brian from SC sent me these instructions. Relatively simple. Hardest part was getting the old packing out. Good luck.

Replacing and Adjusting the Shaft Packing.
- Replace the shaft packing. Be sure to install two or three pieces.
- Loosen the jam nut on the shaft-packing gland.
- Back the gland nut off the packing gland assembly.
- Dig out all the old packing material.
- For a one inch shaft, cut two to three pieces of 1/4"dia. packing material strips so they are 4 1/8". Place one of the packing strips into the packing nut. The end should butt together. Place another piece in the packing nut, this time orienting the seam 180 degrees from the seam of the first piece.
- Slide the packing nut up the shaft.
- Slide the shaft through the Packing gland assembly and into the strut.
- Screw the packing nut onto the packing gland assembly. Tighten it up as much as possible by hand. Then using a wrench, turn the nut a 1/2 a turn forward and a 1/4 turn back. Then turn the nut a 1/2 a turn forward and a 1/4 turn back. Then turn the nut a ½ a turn forward and a 1/4 turn back. This will pack the packing fairly tight.
- Back the packing nut off the assembly again. Then thread it back on. Tighten it only as tight as you can get it using your hands. This should be almost the perfect tightness for the packing gland so that it does not leak, yet not too tight so that the packing burns up.
- Tighten the Lock Nut up to the Packing Gland Nut.

If you want to add the third piece of packing, do so when you back the nut off after you packed the packing. Then tighten the nut only as tight as you can get it using your hands. This should be almost the perfect tightness for the packing gland so that it does not leak, yet not too tight so that the packing burns up.

2000OUTBACK
08-18-2008, 06:51 PM
Ok Thanks for the answers. I do have one more question.... Where exactally is this part located? Anyone got pics?

Waynes345
08-18-2008, 07:41 PM
The drive shaft comes out of the tranny on the rear of the engine. You should see the packing nut and jam nut as in this illustration.

2000OUTBACK
08-19-2008, 01:10 AM
Thanks that pic helps. I have to remove a floor panel to get to it.

bergermaister
08-19-2008, 05:40 PM
You might also want to check the plumbing and clamps on your rear sacs/tanks and pumps. I found mine to be a bit lose here and there after getting it back from being dewinterized one year. Not a big deal but it was seeping enough to notice more water than usual when filling/draining the ballast a lot over a weekend.

2000OUTBACK
08-19-2008, 06:30 PM
You might also want to check the plumbing and clamps on your rear sacs/tanks and pumps. I found mine to be a bit lose here and there after getting it back from being dewinterized one year. Not a big deal but it was seeping enough to notice more water than usual when filling/draining the ballast a lot over a weekend.

I do not have any ballast tanks on the boat yet. Thanks tho-

Chris_B
08-24-2008, 09:29 PM
I have an 02 Outback and had the same problem. I had a 1/4" stream of water coming in around the shaft even when the shaft wasn't turning. I bought the boat just a few weeks ago and I don't think the packing had ever been replaced (it was near Havasu in 100+ temps). I put in the GFO packing. The job for me took between 1-2 hours. The best investment for the deal was a set of picks that I bought for about $6 at Lowes (made by Kobalt, but exactly like this set: http://www.sourcingmap.com/red-pieces-hook-and-pick-set-tool621-p-15751.html).

The worst thing about the job was getting the floor panel out and getting it back in.

Here's a fantastic way to do it: http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/stuffing_box&page=1. The little cutout PVC pipe trick is a life saver.