PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Funny Sound from Boat

Robert Mueller
08-18-2008, 11:25 AM
Need your help. I have a 1999 Moomba Outback and this year I am hearing a sort of squeeling or high pitched sound that lasts for a couple of seconds and am hearing more often. When we are out for a day of sking and tubing, we may hear it several times. It comes ang goes. It sounds similar but not exactly like when the boat is in revers.
I changed the trany fluid and cleanded the filter and all looks good there. I also noticed a when removing the trany dip stick there is a slight vacuum that is releases.
Perhaps it could be a slipping belt.
Any thoughts????
Thanks loads..
B

Waynes345
08-18-2008, 11:41 AM
I've got the same boat and have found that if the observer puts their feet on the dog house it sometimes pushes it back just enough to make contact with the moving belts/assembly on the front of the engine. Makes a sound similar to what you are hearing. I pull it forward and tell them to keep their feet down. I was worried the first time I heard it until I realized what the cause was. I hope yours is something simple as well.

04OUTBACK
08-18-2008, 01:21 PM
Robert,
Check the stuffing box on your shaft... make sure all the pipe clamps are tight.
Also, how old is the packing rope in there?
Mine made a similar noise and replacing the packing rope and ensuring all the clamps were tight..
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j14/bradwebb1/packingjamnut.jpg