PDA

View Full Version : Red light stayed on.

Laz
08-17-2008, 10:49 PM
Hi,

Today we went skiing through a course that is very weedy, muddy and fairly shallow. The boat overheated and suddenly dropped RPM. I turned off the engine immediately and waited a few minutes. We left the weedy area and had no trouble skiing for the next hour. The temperature stayed well below 180 for the rest of the day.

Towards the end of the day I noticed that the red engine light was on and stayed on after starting the engine. The oil pressure was normal, but the dipstick showed that it was a little low.

I'm going to get the oil and oil filter changed. However, why did the red light stay on? Could anything else be wrong. Except for that brief episode of over heating in the weeds, the boat ran well all day? I have about 90 hours on the boat.

Thanks.

gcombe74
08-17-2008, 10:54 PM
did it stay on after you gave it full throttle... I know up to about 120 rpm it will be on.... after that it should go off... did it go off after that range...

dont quote me on the 120 it could be 1200 I would have to go back and read the manual.. but for the first so many it will remain on after starting until you get to a certain rpm

spyder
08-18-2008, 12:17 AM
Hi,

Today we went skiing through a course that is very weedy, muddy and fairly shallow. The boat overheated and suddenly dropped RPM. I turned off the engine immediately and waited a few minutes. We left the weedy area and had no trouble skiing for the next hour. The temperature stayed well below 180 for the rest of the day.

Towards the end of the day I noticed that the red engine light was on and stayed on after starting the engine. The oil pressure was normal, but the dipstick showed that it was a little low.

I'm going to get the oil and oil filter changed. However, why did the red light stay on? Could anything else be wrong. Except for that brief episode of over heating in the weeds, the boat ran well all day? I have about 90 hours on the boat.

Thanks.

where were you riding? sounds like puslinch if its that shallow and weedy.

04OUTBACK
08-18-2008, 10:00 AM
Laz,
I assume you mean the check engine light...
if the overheat caused a fault, it might take 3 engine cycles for it to cut off.
One thing you could do is start with a cold engine, crank and warm to oper. temp. cut off and allow to cool.. do this 3 times total.. the check light will cut off if you have 3 complete cycles with no fault.. if it remains on, there may remain a fault... otherwise, you'll need to have dealer plug into computer..

Laz
08-18-2008, 05:03 PM
That's very helpful. I'll test this out on Wednesday.

Thanks!

KurtL
08-19-2008, 11:35 PM
Had a simular situation this past weekend. At speed the kill switch was bumped and check engine light came on. Three cycles of starting motor and turning off and it reset.

Laz
08-20-2008, 10:41 PM
Well, the little check engine light is still on.

The boat seems to be running perfectly. At 30 000 rpm it goes about 30 mph which is unchanged. The temperature stayed between 150 and 180. Oil pressure and battery indicator was normal. The oil and oil filter was changed yesterday.

We ran the boat for about 30 minutes at various speeds, starting, stopping and shutting off often.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

teamctl
08-24-2008, 11:39 AM
We had the check engine light come on after a battery run-down issue. It eventually went off. No harm. It did take about 3 full cold start/run cool-down cycles (about 3 outings) for the light to go off. I suppose my questions to Indmar would be: What does the light mean? Is it just a sensor threshold issue such as low-voltage or an O2 sensor? Is the light-on a bad thing? If there is a catastrophic problem does the light flash? (In my Dodge Ram 1500 this means pull over immediately and shut off engine). Maybe EngineNut can weigh in on this.

This is something that bothers me in both autos and boats. The technology is there and cheap. The codes are in the computer on the vehicle. Why not just let us know what's going wrong? A small one-line LCD printout costs less than 2 cents to manufacture.

It's not that we don't mind going to the dealer to have something checked out that needs it, but when you are 200 miles from home in the middle of a large lake, it would be nice to know what level of worry to apply to the situation.

Anybody else agree?

c.rix
08-24-2008, 12:39 PM
Well, the little check engine light is still on.

The boat seems to be running perfectly. At 30 000 rpm it goes about 30 mph which is unchanged. The temperature stayed between 150 and 180. Oil pressure and battery indicator was normal. The oil and oil filter was changed yesterday.

We ran the boat for about 30 minutes at various speeds, starting, stopping and shutting off often.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

after changing my oil in my boat it did the same thing It was over 4th of july weekend so I said screw it and drove it with the light on since it seemed to be fine oil pressure fine battery ect. after a few days it decided to turn off? its been off since

Laz
08-24-2008, 09:40 PM
Same here. On wednesday the light stayed on all afternoon. On Friday it was on initially and the turned off and stayed off after the second engine start.

The all day todoy the light stayed off and the boat ran perfectly!