PDA

View Full Version : Trying to keep my boot looking new

Scottys
08-17-2008, 09:13 PM
Purchased a new 07 Outback with a platinum interior. Love the boat :) It is moored near overhanging trees. I'm looking for a vinal cleaner to remove the minor stains (pollen, vegetation etc..) that have accumulated as I've used the boat.
Anybody found the killer product?

gcombe74
08-17-2008, 11:00 PM
I would recommed some good leather cleaner lexal to keep your "boot" clean! LOL

no serious ... alot of people like babes... 303 aerospace cleaner, and 3m makes some good stuff. But my personal experience with tree pollen... nothing can 100% eliminate some of it.

04OUTBACK
08-18-2008, 10:03 AM
I like Babes seat soap, and I hear of this product called Exquisite that is available on Ebay.. word on Wakeworld is It is the BOMB..

Also, try magic erasers with your cleaner for tough spots..

yearround
08-18-2008, 01:08 PM
product called Exquisite that is available on Ebay.. word on Wakeworld is It is the BOMB..

i have some of the exquisite, it seems to work really well. i have not had any real bad things to clean up yet. if you buy the exquisit, just get the product. they include a few other things, like a micro fiber towel and a brush, nothing special, but the product does seem to work.

Scottys
08-18-2008, 10:10 PM
I think I'll give the Exquisite product a try this fall when I clean her up before tucking her in for her long winters' nap. And here in Wisconsin that could easlily come in 6 weeks:(
Guess I need to check my spelling before sending my posts (boot?):oops:

MOBIU5
08-21-2008, 10:47 PM
+1 - mr clean majic erasers - then the 303

strickland7
08-21-2008, 11:41 PM
I use Mr. Clean Magic Erasers all the time on my boat vinyl. Works like a charm for mold/mildew if you ever have any, also takes out the dirt you can't see really well. I am not sure about tree pollen/sap.

Razzman
08-22-2008, 11:47 AM
So let me point something out here about Magic Erasers. They make vinyl look new because they are slightly abrasive and remove a slight amount of vinyl everytime you use them. I had heard this on other forums for about three years or so and did a test with one on a piece of scrap marine vinyl and darned if they weren't right! If it's removing vinyl then it's also abrasing the thread as well. Your call but I would not use it except on a stain that absolutely will not come off any other way.

Scottys
08-22-2008, 06:41 PM
When I took delivery of my boat I was cautioned, by Lauderdale Lakes Marina in Elkhorn WI, about using magic erasers because they do "abrasively scrub" the vinal. I was told that they should be used only as a last resort.

On a different note. Anyone have any recommendations on how to get my carpet looking like new? It's all matted and I like to clean it an get it to new again. Carpet clean it?

Kelsey
08-22-2008, 07:04 PM
I agree with the above posters regarding magic erasers on your interior. Unless nothing else works. I would however highly suggest them for your rub rails. These are really thick so I don't worry about rubbing a little bit off. Mine tend to get white scuffs every so often and the magic eraser does wonderful.

Regarding the carpet, mine is in pretty good shape but it seems that wet people inevitably drip dirty water on the carpet. Over time this gives it a light brown look in the right light. I have tried carpet cleaners and numerous shampoo treatments. I think the only way would be to replace the carpet. I don't think it's too hard, there are some threads on here that explain how to do it.

strickland7
08-23-2008, 07:26 AM
Good info to know about the magic erasers, good thing I haven't had my boat for several years yet. Thanks for the input.

TL7
08-24-2008, 08:18 PM
I can vouch for the Exquisite. I was skeptical, but bought some and tried it out. Our boat is only 1 year old and we cleaned the vinyl everytime out with Meguires Vinyl Cleaner and Conditioner. First time we used the Exquisite, boy could we tell a difference. Also leaves it smelling pretty good! I think the trick is the brush, haven't tried using other products with a brush. They may work just as well. But it definitely gives it a great clean. I am not affiliated with them in any way, just trying to help my board brothers out. I think if you put "wakeworld" in the note to seller box when ordering you will get 15 or 20% off.

Sled491
08-24-2008, 11:36 PM
Scottys, we have the same boat, even bought from the same dealer. I was always concerned with the new carpet that came in our boats in 07, but I was told it would be an improvement. Well I'm with you it has packed down way too much to be considered cushy any more. You just have to work the nap a bit with some kind of carpet rake and regular vacumming, but it still will never be like new. I even had Lauderdale detail it once and not much better, not dissing Lauderdale just how it is.