PDA

View Full Version : Wakesurfing Illegal!?

gallen70
08-15-2008, 05:55 PM
I was just reading how some Moron is citing people in Idaho for "negligent Operation" if they are wakesurfing? Here is the link http://www.klewtv.com/news/26012319.html .

That's funny because I was Wakesurfing at the Pallisades 2 weeks ago. I think its funny the sheriff tries to sound like he knows something about wakes surfing. My guess...he was picked on in high school and now wants people to "respect his authority"! Maybe he'll do like the Highway patrol did in Utah and bring out the taser gun.

kaneboats
08-15-2008, 06:00 PM
Guess we're all rebels now. "When I fight authority, authority always . . .

c.rix
08-15-2008, 06:02 PM
Ive heard rumors here in minnesota that they are gonna make laws banning wakesurfing much like they did with the flying tubes last year.

Our local sheriff says that it is "technically not illeagle" now but with so many people wakesurfing or attempting to wake surf behind I/O and Outboard boats laws are needed against it.

jmvotto
08-15-2008, 10:34 PM
crap, all that work on geting the wakesurfing forum for notin'

Was that the sheriff from the dukes of harzard?:rolleyes:

gallen70
08-15-2008, 11:36 PM
Rosco Peekotrane (not sure on the spelling). Anyway its alway gotta be the dumb people that ruin it for everyone else. I think they just need to make sure people with I/Os don't surf. On the other hand I guess we could look at it as survival of the fittest. Let the dumb kill themselves so we can have more lake to ourselves.

c.rix
08-16-2008, 08:37 PM
Rosco Peekotrane (not sure on the spelling). Anyway its alway gotta be the dumb people that ruin it for everyone else. I think they just need to make sure people with I/Os don't surf. On the other hand I guess we could look at it as survival of the fittest. Let the dumb kill themselves so we can have more lake to ourselves.

That was my exact response

I wont be quiting surfing even if it is illegal, cause its not illegal till you get caught

jester
08-17-2008, 12:33 PM

I was also about to post about the same thing. If we have less dump people in the world because the government would stop making laws to protect people from being stupid we would win both ways. Less laws and less dump people. Ooo did i just say that out loud?

Sled491
08-18-2008, 08:30 PM
The local Po Po are on our lake every saturday and sunday afternoon. I just waiting for them to stop us as we are the only ones currently surfing on our lake. But a law banning wakesurfing behind IO's wouldn't be all bad.

sandm
08-18-2008, 08:43 PM
never had an issue down in Boise Idaho. some renegade that thinks he knows what's best for all of us.
lots of money up in that neck of the woods. all it'll take is one lawyer or a relative of one to challenge him and it will be all over.
someone should take the judge surfing and then let him rule on the legaity of wakesurfing:D

JGP54321
08-18-2008, 09:15 PM
I have heard that surfing is a problem because you are not totally being towed once you let go of the rope and are no longer considered a passenger of the boat or some kind of lingo like that, difference being that when your wakeboarding/sking/tubing you always have a connection to the boat through the line.

Personally I don't think it makes great sence because your 5 feet behind the boat and if you fall its the same as falling in any other sport, but that is just what i have heard and wanted to pass it along

jester
08-18-2008, 10:36 PM
I have heard that surfing is a problem because you are not totally being towed once you let go of the rope and are no longer considered a passenger of the boat or some kind of lingo like that, difference being that when your wakeboarding/sking/tubing you always have a connection to the boat through the line.

Personally I don't think it makes great sence because your 5 feet behind the boat and if you fall its the same as falling in any other sport, but that is just what i have heard and wanted to pass it along

I would think that if you fall wakesurfing it in a way is safer then falling wakeboarding. This is becasue you dont have a rope. No rope no problem.

kaneboats
08-19-2008, 11:54 AM
More than likely it is fishermen complaining about the big rollers from the boat.

Kelsey
08-19-2008, 07:42 PM
As Ed G said earlier, this is a popular topic on wakeworld.com I have read most of the threads. It seems there are some law enforcement folks, from a variety of different agencies that have been harassing / ticketing wakesurfers. From the sounds of it, it is very sporadic and largely due to ignorance. There is a number of different reasons the cops are giving but they are all pretty weak.The upside is many of the manufacturers and dealerships are pitching in to support, and having some success.

I read one post where a guy met with his county prosecutor, explained wakesurfing and actually brought his boat along to explain. After the meeting the prosecutor gave her commitment that she would instruct all cops on the water to leave inboard wakesurfing alone.

If you get ticketed be prepared to have to fight it. However, there are very strong arguements towards the safety of this sport. There is not much chance any ticket would hold up in court.

mattsmoomba
08-19-2008, 11:20 PM
Some shit head will cut his leg off behind an I/O and that will be it guys! just a matter of time. Enjoy it while it's still legal

Sled491
08-19-2008, 11:22 PM
Sad but possibly true.

jester
08-19-2008, 11:48 PM
That is very true. Or until a law maker notices people are having fun then makes a law agenst it. By no means should a person have fun.

Mrs. Kane
08-20-2008, 12:16 PM
Where do I begin!?!?!?! Hang on, I need to count to 10, no 100!
Okay.
There are too many laws already. Laws can't protect people from being stupid. It's against the law to get hammered and drive 100 mph, but people still do it. And I could go on and on with examples.
I am REALLY tired of some peoples "rights" being more important than other peoples rights. Like a few parents were upset that the school let the kids wear Halloween costumes (not anything gross just princesses, super heros, animals, etc.) to school, so now no one gets to do it. If a kid shows up in a costume, they are sent home. What about if you don't like it, you don't do it and it's none of your business what anyone else does.
If they ban wakesurfing, what will be next? Life can be dangerous (if you have any fun along the way) but you can be safe. Sky diving, all water sports (including swimming-should we ban private pools?), motorcycles, scooters, skateboards, roller blades and skates, ice skates, trampolines,swing sets (a kid could walk in front of a moving swing), STAIRS-you might slip and fall and take the person in front of you down with you. (I have actually done that one). OH I have a good one, Moomba Mammas! Dishes, we could cut ourselves loading and unloading the dishwashers! And laundry, the washer hose might brake or leak and I could slip on the tile and hit my head or land on my fat @#! and really hurt myself! OMG, I have scared myself into sitting on my chair and never leaving my house but then oh, no, I'll get carpal tunnel and I'll have to leave and DRIVE and go to a doctor where I could catch something from someone sitting in the waiting room.....
GIVE ME A BREAK! I think I am changing my "logo" at the end of my replys from "I thought our last boat was our "last boat" " to "Less laws, less dumb people". Maybe I'll run for President, since quaifications don't really matter. "A vote for Mrs. Kane for President = less laws and dumb people". Anyone willing to vote for me? What about campaign contributions?
Make it a great day! ~Mrs. Kane

moombadaze
08-20-2008, 12:37 PM
YOU GOT MY VOTE!-dont stop.

Mrs. Kane
08-20-2008, 01:02 PM
WOW! A vote and I came back on board because I forgot my most important item I would change I would make....TAX CREDITS FOR BOAT OWNERS!!!! Although, if I do that, more people would have boats, and then the lakes and rivers would be more crowded. Hmmmm, I'll have to table that one for now.

MrsZ
08-20-2008, 02:36 PM
You have my vote. I'll contribute ... a bottle of wine?

kaneboats
08-20-2008, 05:33 PM
Careful, you could become intoxicated, spill on the floor, slip in it, fall, strike your head on the table, cause the bottle to fall and break on the floor and then cut yourself on the glass. Of course you could always sue the bottler. We can make wine bottling illegal and save you from yourself.

Wait! Mrs. Kane says she's willing to risk it -- thanks for the contribution!

GeauxTigers
08-20-2008, 05:54 PM
I was just reading how some Moron is citing people Maybe he'll do like the Highway patrol did in Utah and bring out the taser gun.
Hardly the same issue Gallen. The jackass that got tazed in Utah had it coming to him. He had plenty of warning, he did not stopped when he was told to and, to top it off, his ole lady jumped out of the car as the guy was marching away from him. Gun or no gun, if I were to find myself in a situation where some person or group of persons were to possibly take my life, I'd shoot first and ask questions later.

Sled491
08-20-2008, 07:01 PM
Hmmm, OK, but how do really feel :)

gcombe74
08-21-2008, 04:54 PM
Where do I begin!?!?!?! Hang on, I need to count to 10, no 100!
Okay.
There are too many laws already. Laws can't protect people from being stupid. It's against the law to get hammered and drive 100 mph, but people still do it. And I could go on and on with examples.
I am REALLY tired of some peoples "rights" being more important than other peoples rights. Like a few parents were upset that the school let the kids wear Halloween costumes (not anything gross just princesses, super heros, animals, etc.) to school, so now no one gets to do it. If a kid shows up in a costume, they are sent home. What about if you don't like it, you don't do it and it's none of your business what anyone else does.
If they ban wakesurfing, what will be next? Life can be dangerous (if you have any fun along the way) but you can be safe. Sky diving, all water sports (including swimming-should we ban private pools?), motorcycles, scooters, skateboards, roller blades and skates, ice skates, trampolines,swing sets (a kid could walk in front of a moving swing), STAIRS-you might slip and fall and take the person in front of you down with you. (I have actually done that one). OH I have a good one, Moomba Mammas! Dishes, we could cut ourselves loading and unloading the dishwashers! And laundry, the washer hose might brake or leak and I could slip on the tile and hit my head or land on my fat @#! and really hurt myself! OMG, I have scared myself into sitting on my chair and never leaving my house but then oh, no, I'll get carpal tunnel and I'll have to leave and DRIVE and go to a doctor where I could catch something from someone sitting in the waiting room.....
GIVE ME A BREAK! I think I am changing my "logo" at the end of my replys from "I thought our last boat was our "last boat" " to "Less laws, less dumb people". Maybe I'll run for President, since quaifications don't really matter. "A vote for Mrs. Kane for President = less laws and dumb people". Anyone willing to vote for me? What about campaign contributions?

MRS KANE FOR PRES!!! where do I send my money! The thing i love about this wakesurfing thing is this... if I choose to do this... and get hurt .. who do I hurt? ME! So now its ok to take my right away? If I miss hititng a nail with a hammer and bloddy my thumb... will it be against the law to hit nails?

Mrs. Kane
08-21-2008, 06:18 PM
gcombe74,

RIGHT!

Want me to put your name in the hat for VP or maybe a cabinet position would be better for you?

Make it a great day!

MrsZ
08-21-2008, 08:43 PM
LOL! Cabinet...Nail and Hammer. You crack me UP MrsKane! :D

ABUCKOTOMAMBO
08-21-2008, 11:15 PM
This is how old school I am. We still have a 3-Wheeler and use it AND believe it or not no one has died from using it.... I also owned a Ford Exporer and I did not die while in that either. Perhaps it is because I did not drive or ride either like a stark raving lunitik...

I was also a fan of 80's heavy metal and did not commit suicide....

Perhaps I am an anomoly or maybe I am just one of those normal people that recognize there are limits and lives with in them?

Mrs. Kane
08-21-2008, 11:21 PM
Abuckotomambo,

Okay, okay, okay. I'll put your name in the hat for VP too. :)

I was watching the Bears game earlier and realized I totally forgot all of the dangers from traditional sports. If they are going to make some water sports illeal, let's not stop there what about football, baseball, gymnastics, golf, horse back riding.....Well I guess now I am beating a dead horse......

PS 80's music and hair was the BEST!!!!

Sled491
08-21-2008, 11:32 PM
Still working on my 80's hair, might get there in a couple of more years. Is that pathetic? Aquestrian sports are supposedly considered the most dangerous of the none extreme sports participated in today. Look what happended to Super Man!

kaneboats
08-22-2008, 10:37 AM
I think we should just outlaw fun altogether. No running, jumping, playing, swimming (someone could drown), or riding. We'll have parks where you can walk but please stay on the paths. No pets are allowed either because some do bite and most have rabies anyway. Please just sit in front of your TV where we can monitor your safety. It's for the best.

sandm
08-22-2008, 10:38 AM
... if I choose to do this... and get hurt .. who do I hurt? ME! So now its ok to take my right away? If I miss hititng a nail with a hammer and bloddy my thumb... will it be against the law to hit nails?

problem is that if you get hurt and end up in the hospital and don't have insurance, who ends up paying for it? all of us. sorry, just playing devils advocate...
wakesurfing should be outlawed behind any boat that is NOT a direct/v drive. if you are on the water as a cop, you should have some common knowledge about boats, and should be able to recognize a direct/v drive from a i/o from at least 100ft away, not to mention the boat name would be a big clue.. that would put the whole issue to bed, and allow anyone that does get ticketed for it to have some recourse in court, and if you are surfing behind your bayliner f-17, that's what natural selection is for.

gcombe74
08-22-2008, 10:51 AM
wakesurfing should be outlawed behind any boat that is NOT a direct/v drive.

I agree with most of what you said except this... I have seen a few people behind yamaha jet drive boats... appears to be just as safe if not more behind one of them as well!

I say if you have a death wish to wakesurf behind an I/O just notify next of kin before you go!

kaneboats
08-22-2008, 11:44 AM
wakesurfing should be outlawed behind any boat that is NOT a direct/v drive.

This is why the answer isn't always a new law. You'll have the jet drive people complaining and the cops ticketing the wrong people. The answer is for everybody to have a little sense. If you are grown up enough to have a boat you should know what kind of boat you have. You don't skydive out of a commercial airliner. You don't drive your Corolla across a stream. You don't drive your snowmobile to the beach in July. You don't wakesurf behind an outboard or an I/O. The danger is apparent. "Wear your life jacket" and "Watch out for the prop" aren't good enough.

sandm
08-24-2008, 07:23 AM
This is why the answer isn't always a new law. .

don't disagree, but there are some cops out there that don't seem to understand. this would make it easy for them to distinguish who should and who shouldn't be surfing and write tickets or teach/train accordingly. the popo on our lake understand wakesurfing, but I'd be pissed if I trailered to a new lake and got a ticket or told not to. the temptation to argue with them would be too great, and I think we all know where that would end up.

I don't think about the jetdrives much as we don't have many ski boats with jets here. 99% of the jetdrives are on river boats, and I have yet to see one surf, but yea, include them as a wakesurf boat then.

Mrs. Kane
08-25-2008, 07:05 PM
Sandm,

Anyone with out insurance can go to the hospital for ANY reason (a cold) and we all have to pay for it. AND if someone owns a $30,000 plus boat and does not have health insurance.....well, I can't even begin to go there.

Anyway, I still believe in less laws.

Part of the beauty of the USA is we can all have our own opinions! I thank all military, current and past for defending that right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sandm
08-25-2008, 09:40 PM
totally agree with the military statement.. respect everything they do :)

I don't know how it is where you live, but I can't even begin to count the $60k boats around here owned by people in the construction industry, and I bet that less than 40% carry insurance, since they are all self-employed, but that's another story...

I agree that in some cases less law is better, but sometimes you need laws to help define what is legal and what isn't. 2 cops, one decides to enforce some obscure law that makes wakesurfing illegal, while his partner doesn't. 2 boats on the same lake, one gets a ticket, one doesn't. how does the guy that got the ticket fight it?
I used to be involved in the import car scene and owned 2 evolutions. I thanked the county/state for the laws that governed the modifications so I could fight cops that tried to harass me.