PDA

View Full Version : New here - ? about ski/surf boat

Badger
08-15-2008, 10:43 AM
Hello-

I'm new to your forum, as I'm trying research a new boat. I have a Malibu iRide that I bought strictly because of the price point and it was my first inboard after coming from a I/O. I didn't have a Moomba dealer in my area at the time so didnt' know anything about them. After two summers, I need more room and some automated ballast. I'm definitely going for a V-Drive.

I like to slalom ski and am decent but don't run a course. My wife and I both have become hooked on surfing. We surf with our Malibu with the wedge, center bow ballast, and 2 400 lb V-drive sacs on the floor of our DD Malibu. Typically, it's just the 2 of us and our 2 small kids in the boat. This setup takes away all room in the boat and the wedge and sacs are a PITA.

Since I now have a dealer in my area, I'd like to check out the Moomba line. I've read through all the pages of posts trying to find related information to this search.

Is the Outback V the way to go for what I'm describing? Once again, slalom is important to me and I don't need to haul a lot of people. It appears, I could get the 340 hp engine with Catalysts also and a 3 bag ballast system?

Is this stock set up surf-able also?

Thanks for any help you can give me. I'd like to stop in at my dealer this weekend, but would like to have an idea first before the sales pitch starts.

Ken

jmvotto
08-15-2008, 10:52 AM
Ed, well said.

I am too in that scenario i wish i would have upgraded to the Gravity III on the balast system, I want to learn to surf, looks likes lots of fun...:D

Badger
08-15-2008, 11:12 AM
Ed,

It appears the hulls are different between the Outback V and the Mobius. Was the Outback V hull originally the Outback DD slalom boat and just modified for the V-drive configuration? Whereas the Mobius is more designed to be a wakeboard boat?

Ken

ian ashton
08-15-2008, 11:25 AM
Ed,

It appears the hulls are different between the Outback V and the Mobius. Was the Outback V hull originally the Outback DD slalom boat and just modified for the V-drive configuration? Whereas the Mobius is more designed to be a wakeboard boat?

Ken

'08 and prior Outback V's do not have the same hull as the DD Outback, they have a bit more freeboard. If your considering a brand new boat check out the thread on the all new '09 Outback V, it sounds like it might be exactly what you are looking for.

Dave A
08-15-2008, 01:28 PM
Badger,

The Outback V is the same hull as the 2005 Mobius LS/LSV. In '06 Moomba changed the LS/LSV making them longer and deeper, and the old hull became the Outback V. The Outback has it's own hull since it is AWSA rated.

I had a '05 Mobius LS. My wife and I decided on a V-Drive for the room and the fact that we did very little slalom skiing. The V-Drive wake can be descent at the right speed with the wake plate set right, but it will never be as good as the D-Drive.

We bought an '08 Supra 21V, and my wife complains about the size of the wake, but absolutely loves the boat. I love it, both wake and boat, but if I want to ski, I go with my friends who are skiers.

Good luck with your decision.

Dave

Sled491
08-15-2008, 10:05 PM
Dave has made my point again. You now need two boats to fully enjoy at a high level all our favorite watersports except tubing (which I'm not sure is a sport):)

zegm
08-15-2008, 10:35 PM
Hey guys our LS can put up a pretty nice wake with the rear ballast full and the wakeplate all the way up! Check out the video of the LS and watch the wakeboarder, but we can ski down the course with it too with the plate all the way down and the ballast empty! To have this luxury you will have to share the floor space with the engine, but at 21 1/2 feet long and as wide as she is we never feel cramped!

Sled491
08-16-2008, 10:11 AM
Z, once again as well, I really need to ski behind your boat, I just need to know. By the way how is it for little Mr Z. Dakota at 21 mph gets to see some big wakes. Are you giving Zack a 75ft or 60ft rope?

moombadaze
08-16-2008, 05:24 PM
Badger,

moomba makes only 5 hulls , they are

outback
ouback v
outback ls
outback lsv--ls hull basically with motor in the rear
xlv

outback is the ski boat, direct drive
mobius package can be on the outback ls and lsv--thats the wake board package but the actuall hulls are the same
xlv-thats the big boy of the group, v drive only, comes standard with mobius package or upgraded to the gravity games package.

you could ski with all of them but the smaller ones will be better
you can surf with all of them but outback will have no room in it with ballast bags everwhere, still makes a very good wave

for 09 the outback v is a new hull. kinda looks like lsv just a little shorter and with the tower that folds forword, that makes it easier to fit in a standard garage

try before you buy if possible-dealer. or if that is not possible see if any one on this board is in your area and ask for a pull. Offer to help with gas.

good luck

zegm
08-17-2008, 09:35 PM
Sled,

When we ski Zachary at 22 to 23 and the wake is kind of big. Luckily he likes to jump it on his wakeboard so he is used to attacking it. Lately though (and it was your advice) we have been free skiing to get back in the "mode" and I was taking Zachary at 25 and Ginny at 30. Today both had a great free ski and I took him at 27 and her at 32 and they both looked great. Now for the important part the wake gets smaller and a whole lot smaller over 30mph!!! I don't think you will have any issues, I mean you can fly over it without getting airborne, it is NOT a wakeboard wake at this speed at all. But it will never be as small as a Outback. SC would not even make this Hull DD if it wasn't any different than an LSV, so if someone says they can ski behind a LSV then you know you can really ski behind the LS.

MrsZ
08-18-2008, 06:55 AM
Sled, when Zachary free skiis or is on the Jr course he gets 15 off. On the regular course he gets full length, He does a lot better with 15 off but after I coached him some yesterday he improving on the amount of slack he gets after a cut.

Badger
08-18-2008, 07:32 AM
Thanks to all for your responses. I went to the dealer over the weekend and checked out an Outback V. It was definitely a nice boat, but I think I'm going to wait to see an '09 in person to compare the changes and get out on the water with it. And plus, I'd like to sell my Malibu by owner, rather than taking the trade-in hit. So far it doesn't appear that the late summer used boat market is so hot in my area (or I'm way overpriced).

Thanks again, it seems as though you guys have a great forum here.

Ken

04OUTBACK
08-18-2008, 09:56 AM
Badger,
Try onlyinboards.com and wakeworld.com's classified section on their discussion board.
I have bought my last two boats from way out of town and found them on the internet..
I sold my last moomba at the end of august from a buyer on onlyinboards.com . I have found that you myself as well as others will drive a ways to find the right boat... expand your selling range and you may have better luck selling! Hurry join the Moomba Clan.. !

KurtL
08-18-2008, 04:01 PM
Guys I agree with Zegm 100%! We just crossed 40 hr mark on our 2008 LS and love it. Super crossover boat. We had great skiers behind it this weekend and were quite happy with the "soft wake". Good boarders were nailing flips easily. Surfing was a blast. The wake plate seems to help quite a bit. Neighbor with a Malibu says after two days out with us "what a great all around boat". He is now thinking of selling his sunsetter.

Great value, great boats

Kurt

zegm
08-18-2008, 05:25 PM
We did take a test drive behind an Outback V and it had a pretty good sized wake behind it and that worried us as we are skiers too. We really liked the open floor space but decided after we sat in the LS that it actually has more square footage than the V, it just has the engine sitting in the center. Keep in mind that you can get the LS which is a bigger boat (which is why it has more room) for almost the same price as an outback V (after you add the options to the Outback V that are standard on the LS) and if you have serious skiers then the LS is also the better choice! Again it is the BEST all purpose boat SC makes.

zegm
08-18-2008, 07:20 PM
Ed,

Here is the subject line of that post:
New here - ? about ski/surf boat
If anyone is a skier and wants to wakeboard & surf then the boat that SC designed to do the BEST job at making everyone happy to do all is the Mobius LS- PERIOD.
It is a Mobius so it comes with a tower and the gravity I ballast package. It will make a nice wakeboard wake, (read Wakeboard Magazine). If you want to ski too there is no other choice (Outback is a ski boat, not a wakeboard boat), right now the wake on the LS is bigger than what we are used for skiing, but it is acceptable, that means the LSV will be worse - no question. And when I test drove the Outback V the wake did concern us because it was big
Now lets talk price, go to the boat builder and build an Outback V with a tower and ballast and compare it to the LS standard price. Close to equal in price, and only price (again go to wakeboard magazine and see the sq ft in each boat and find out that yes there is more room in the LS). It is 1 ft longer, 2 inches wider and 100lbs heavier, again almost same cost. Again I researched this for weeks and decided yes the Outback V is nice (love the open floor) but for us to SKI, WAKEBOARD and SURF there is only one choice and it is the Best Value Choice----------and the winner is the Mobius LS!!!!!!!!
We love our LS!!!!

PS Couple of other plus items for the LS:
1. Cannot get a Z-cargo on an Outback
2. Visit Wakeboard Magazine and see the LS is faster!!! :grin:

moombadaze
08-18-2008, 07:23 PM
i dont think zegm said the ls was the best choice, i took it at it was the best cross over--meaning all around do it all boat

Sled491
08-18-2008, 07:38 PM
That's how I read it. The question was posed what would ba a great all around boat. It seems that indeed in the Moomba line up the LS would be the logical choice. In fact I went to my dealer after I bought my Outback thinking I might have bought the wrong boat, and thought the Outback V was more suited to my needs. The Sales manager of my dealer quickly poo pood the thought and in his opinion the Outback V was an outdated hull that was due for a change. Hinde sight being what it is seems he was absolutely correct, as the Outback V hull has been redesigned for 09.

Badger
08-19-2008, 08:15 AM
Thanks all for the replies and the good debate. Please remember though, that my original post stated that I'm definitely going for a V-Drive. My current Malibu iRide is a good cross-over DD boat. I'm tired of the hump in the middle and want a better surf wave without sacs on the floor.

Ken

moombadaze
08-19-2008, 08:20 AM
badger---lsv is the only way to go then with gravity 3 and wakeplate. buy one 750lb bag and your all set.

Badger
08-19-2008, 08:31 AM
No 2009 yet. The owner wasn't in, so I'm not sure what their delivery schedule is, or if he's even ordered one.

I'm in the Detroit area, with a cottage out by Brooklyn, MI. Any NASCAR fans would know it as the place where the race was last weekend.

Badger
09-12-2008, 08:13 AM
Has anyone had a chance to check out a new Outback V yet? Or better yet, buy one?

My local dealer doesn't have one yet, and I'm curious to see what people think. I don't think I've seen a post of someone bringing one home yet.