PDA

View Full Version : Another oil question

boohog
08-13-2008, 08:32 AM
I know these oil questions have been done to death and i have read through them but I need some specific help.

I'm based in Bahrain and there is a very limited selection of oils that I have been able to find so far, and they don't meet the criteria that I have read need to be used.Bear in mind though that the 'cold' operating temperature of the engine at the moment is around 40C (104F) and will never fall below 10C (50F) in the winter so different viscosity characteristics will apply here.

For the engine oil I have found a 10W 40 and a 15W 50. Neither of them specify 'marine' application. Does it need to be specifically for marine applications, and given the high temperatures here would I be better in going for say a 10W 40 due to the cold viscosity probably being lower than the actual viscosity at these temperatures?

For the V-drive i have only found an SAE 40. Again is this likely to be a problem?

Regarding the transmission oil, I haven't found anything yet but I see Dexron III mentioned - is this a standard of oil made across a number of brands?

I'm going to go to some more places this weekend to see if there are more varieties here but so far evry place I have been to stocks the same stuff.

csmsk
08-13-2008, 10:29 AM
Obviously you have internet access. Can't you order exactly what you need online? I live in the Northern California Bay Area where I can go to just about any store and find almost anything, but I still buy about 75% of the stuff I need off the internet! Sorry if I'm not much help with your questions. Just an idea.

boohog
08-13-2008, 10:40 AM
Shipping oil from the US to the Persian gulf isn't what I would call cost efficient, and probably not even possible since many oil based products have air freight restrictions on them.

VA LSV
08-13-2008, 02:16 PM
Link below is to product line on Indmar's web site where you can download an owners manual in PDF. Oil must meet API ratings SL/SJ, CI-4, CH-4 or CJ-4. Typically this is 15W40 for diesel apps. Synthetic is ok after 100 hrs. Can't say on the SAE 40. Dexron III is a standard available in multiple brands.
http://indmar.com/ProductLine/index.html