PDA

View Full Version : No USED Moombas available ???

EAGER_BEAVER
08-11-2008, 08:55 PM
With having done a ton of research on buying an inboard, with the main focus on Nautiques ... Im wondering why there are so few Moomba boats for sale used.

It seems the Nautique owners seem to flip almost new boats every year. Is that because they're so rich that losing money doesnt matter as much as having the latest and greatest? Or is it because parts are stupidly expensive for repairs? I know they run that reverse rotation so stock parts don't work on their boats. That can't help cost.

Malibu has gone crazy with their styles and colours and they just don't suite my eye.

Supra is almost as expensive as Nautique and I prefer N styling over Supra.

Which all brings me back to Moomba. But they aren't many used ones available. Were there that many less new units sold or are you guys just hangin on to them ??? :confused:

Mrs.Daze
08-11-2008, 09:06 PM
We sold our old one to good friends cause they couldn't find one either. Then we got a new one!

JesseC
08-11-2008, 09:07 PM
Still pleased beyond belief with my 02 LSV. I can wakesurf, wakeboard and ski behind this boat with NO complaints. Never had any trouble, just a wonderful experience with an absolutely wonderful boat. Mine will not be for sale any time soon....

zegm
08-11-2008, 09:25 PM
Moomba is now ranked third is sales so there are many of them out there. And Moomba owners are for the most part middle class people who work hard for their money. So speaking for myself I am not interested in buying a status symbol I am buying a inboard ski boat that has to last me many years. And don't get me wrong, it is one that I am proud to own.

KurtL
08-11-2008, 10:30 PM
Zegm,

Well said!

bamaspiveys
08-11-2008, 11:21 PM
I'll sell you an 07 Outback, so I can go buy an 09. It will be available Tuesday afterLabor Day.

Red and White, see pics in my profile.

Mrs. Kane
08-12-2008, 11:26 AM
They are out there but you might have to drive a little to get it. We drove 6 hours one way to get ours. It was worth the drive, we love the boat!

spyder
08-12-2008, 11:48 AM
we like them too much to get rid of them ;)

cpudoktr
08-12-2008, 12:28 PM
We bought our LSV in 2002 and couldn't imagine getting rid of it. Even if money was no object, it would still awfully tough to let her go...

maxpower220
08-12-2008, 01:08 PM
With having done a ton of research on buying an inboard, with the main focus on Nautiques ... Im wondering why there are so few Moomba boats for sale used.

It seems the Nautique owners seem to flip almost new boats every year. Is that because they're so rich that losing money doesnt matter as much as having the latest and greatest? Or is it because parts are stupidly expensive for repairs? I know they run that reverse rotation so stock parts don't work on their boats. That can't help cost.

:confused:

I think that there are a lot of Nautiques out there because people are in one of 2 situations. 1. They have paid off a Nautique and find they can trade in every year or two because the resell value is high and the trade difference is low. 2. They bought a boat with a huge payment and justify to themselves that they will never pay a boat off. Then they should just get a new one every 2 years but the payments only go up a little (relatively). Think of option 2 as leasing. Nautique is a quality boat and they have won JD Power quality awards for the past few years.

Most people buying a Moomba are looking at bang of the buck (and wondering why all other boats cost so much more) and for many this is their first inboard. The price on Moombas make them a more realistic purchase to the average person, so you don't feel like paying it off is out of reach (if you finance it).

Why has your main focus been on Nautique? If you are a skier, I think at least 2 other boats are better for slalom: If you are a boarder, I think there are many options with a similar or better wake for less money. I am not a fan of PCM or Mercuiser engines, so I am biased to Indmar; but that is a factor in considering a new boat.

04OUTBACK
08-12-2008, 01:58 PM
Ditto on the expand your search. I have driven a ways to buy both of mine.

I think Mooomba owners tend to hold on a little longer...
As you can see on here, there are a lot of guys with 1999 and newer boats that have had them for many No Worries years.

I think the option 2 "Leasing" mentioned above is pretty common. Seems like some of the higher end boats allow for that.. maybe some dealerships get that going. They can probably sell all the 2 yr old boats they can get their hands on and do that with dealer financing.... keep the cycle rolling.

BW

Sled491
08-12-2008, 08:05 PM
I don't know, I seem to run accross at least a couple every week during my searches. But bottom line is that people who buy a moomba also fit into a couple of groups. Don't get to use the boat much so don't want to spend a lot for a yard ornament, and use there boat like crazy and just can't figure out why people would spend 30k more for basically the same boat with more bling.

I've skiied and driven most of the brands over my time and can't seem to fiqure what makes people spend more than they have to, to have fun on the water.

EAGER_BEAVER
08-12-2008, 10:58 PM
Why has your main focus been on Nautique? If you are a skier, I think at least 2 other boats are better for slalom: If you are a boarder, I think there are many options with a similar or better wake for less money. I am not a fan of PCM or Mercuiser engines, so I am biased to Indmar; but that is a factor in considering a new boat.

My main focus was based on Nautiques because a lot of people feel they make the highest quality boats and I initially thought I'd never afford a new inboard.

I thought if I only had 15K to spend on a boat I had better get the highest quality inboard I can find because that will only buy a ~ 13 yr old inboard.

Now having said all that, I have driven a Moomba for a ski school back in 2000 and we never had a single issue with it. Mind you we took very good care of it which some other ski schools I've seen don't care about their boats or respect them.

I've driven most inboard boats and I find very little difference in the new ones. They all seem like quality boats when they're new, much like cars I expect.

The Moomba Outback I drove at ski school didn't throw much of a wake back in 2000 but it didn't have any ballast either. The slalom wake seemed pretty good and barefoot was as good as any out there.

I like to wake board and my 9 yr old son has expressed a ton of interest in it as well because we both snow board in winter. My daughter and GF both downhill ski in winter and I expect they will both slalom some day. That tends to put me in the "crossover" catagorie.

I was leaning towards a direct drive with ballast capabilities and a tower. My thinking there was it will likely be easier to build a wakeboard wake with a direct drive than to flatten a V drive wake for slalom.

Does my thinking make sense or am I way off ??? :confused:

Reese350
08-12-2008, 11:10 PM
We have an 06 LSV and love everything about it for both slalom and wakeboarding. With the wakeplate and the higher speed, the wake is reasonable to slalom. Put the wake plate up, fill the ballast bags, and go slower.....massive wakeboarding wake. Best of both worlds.

My .02

Sled491
08-12-2008, 11:10 PM
There may be some disagreement amongst the masses but you'll find that ZEGM and myself would agree with your way of thinking. Also with smaller bodies trying to learn to slalom the V drives just will not flatten out enough to keep them from being intimidated by the wake. Al lot of people here believe that an Outback V or LSV have perfectly fine ski wakes. As a skier I am not so sure. But recently taking up surfing I can tell you there is no beating a big V drive with lots of ballast. Again that said there others on these boards who surf just fine biehind there Outback and aftermarket ballast.

You also made a great point about how you look after your investment/toy. If you maintain it and keep it clean you can expect yrs of faithful service from your Moomba!

zegm
08-13-2008, 08:21 AM
The Moomba Crossover boat is the LS. We ski down the course, we wakeboard and last weekend we wakesurfed all with the stock ballast system. It might not be the best at any of these but it does the best job at allowing you to do them all! We love the LS and it was Sled and BamBam who informed us of this boat, before that we had decided on an outback V. And for the same setups you get a bigger boat at the same cost.