PDA

View Full Version : Exercise

deerfield
08-11-2008, 08:03 PM
What specific exercise done on a regular basis will help with upper body strength for slalom skiing? I am lucky to get out once a week and always feel pretty beat up after each session behind the boat. Takes two or three days for my arms and shoulders to return to normal. Thanks.

BensonWdby
08-11-2008, 09:09 PM
Get the Andy Mapple slalom video with Gordon Rathbun. Gordon has a training exercise on dry land with a rope bridal attached to a wall to do a motion that simulates pulling up from the lean position. I never tried it, although I had the opportunity when I was in Acapulco, but he is pretty serious about the usefulness of that excercise.

Otherwise I do pull ups and dips and leg raises (in Roman Chair) and I did OK.

I think really good stretching - about 10-15 minutes both before and after skiing probably is a good idea. I always stretch before, to avoid injury, but stretching after would probably minimize day after pain.

Sled491
08-12-2008, 08:21 PM
Deerfield, besides the springy thing for your hands which I use while driving, i just do plain old push ups. Really help the shoulders, while the hand exercises help the hand and the forearm. But really just regular skiing by this time in the year you should be ok. Maybe time to look at your ski. If you fighting a loosing battle on the ski like many others have discovered it will take some of the pleasure away.

I moved up to a 68 about 3 yrs ago from my 66. I can still ski my 66 well but man it takes way more effort coming off of the ball.