PDA

View Full Version : Replacing EZ-Cruise with Perfect Pass

deafgoose
08-10-2008, 10:55 PM
Can I install this myself or is this something that must be done at the dealer?

If so how much time would it take them to install it?

pickle311
08-10-2008, 11:24 PM
that all depends on your technical abilities, but my question is why? The EZ cruise works great and the PP would be a waste of $1000 IMO. Sure it has some nice features and a cool display, but the basic funtion is the exact same and doesn't work any better.

deafgoose
08-10-2008, 11:33 PM
that all depends on your technical abilities, but my question is why? The EZ cruise works great and the PP would be a waste of $1000 IMO. Sure it has some nice features and a cool display, but the basic funtion is the exact same and doesn't work any better.

Are you serious?

I have tried both and the difference is HUGE!

tazz3069
08-11-2008, 12:01 AM
I hated my cruise. I love the PP. I got the stargazer system. It took all about 20/30 min to install. No problems with it at all.

deafgoose
08-11-2008, 12:11 AM
I hated my cruise. I love the PP. I got the stargazer system. It took all about 20/30 min to install. No problems with it at all.

Great!

If you don't mind me asking. How much did you pay and where did you buy it from? I am sure its 2X the price to order it here in Canada.

Laz
08-11-2008, 01:46 AM
I just installed PP/StarGazer 2 weeks ago on my own. It took about 1 hour. I have been very pleased with it as it is great for getting consistent times through a slalom course.

I don't think it's any more expensive for Canadians as Perfect Pass is a Canadian Company located in Nova Scotia

Enjoy.

pickle311
08-11-2008, 11:03 AM
What's the difference? I typically run my LSV with 2500lbs + of ballast and it holds the speed perfectly. I have no complaints with the EZ cruise at all. I'm just wondering what I'm missing.

Are you serious?

I have tried both and the difference is HUGE!

csmsk
08-11-2008, 11:09 AM
I agree with Pickle.... I've had no problems, It holds just fine for wakeboarding, tubing, surfing, and recreational skiing. I've read more problems about PP here and on wakeworld. I can't see spending $1200 for a digital display with my name on it.

dtlaine
08-11-2008, 11:53 AM
I believe there are 2 big differences. One is that you can program a speed for a rider into PP, which makes it so you don't have to set it every run. It's like hitting the resume button on your car instead of having to hit the set button every time.

Also, PP runs off speed rather than RPM's like Moomba Cruise does. That especially makes a difference if you have to turn around at the end of a lake or if it's windy.

I'm also interested in the pricing of the PP Stargazer. It sounds like it's not too hard to install.

gcombe74
08-11-2008, 01:11 PM
I have PP... so i can only address it. But it can run off speed or RPM for the record. Second the interface is not all that user friendly so having the ability to program multiple people not that important. my wife hates that part of it. she just adjusts who ever is on the screen to the desired speed between people changes... trust me plenty of time.

For 1100 dollars I would have put a button or two more to make navigation less complicated so you dont have to memorize buttom combinations.... lame if you ask me. Does it perform oh yeah. Is the interface weak... oh yeah! Oh and how about a color LCD!

So if you have easy cruise and it works... uh why fix it... uh if its not broken dont fix it? my 2 cents worth.

Laz
08-11-2008, 01:31 PM
I wondered what the use of PP is for wakeboarding. I agree that EZ-cruise seems to do a great job.

Skiing through a slalom course is a different story. I notice a huge difference in difficulty between 52 and 53 km/h and EZ-cruise is just not that sensitive.

Now that I have it installed, it has been great. I can take me through the course within about 5/100 of a second each time.

deafgoose
08-11-2008, 02:17 PM
I need a speed controller, not an RPM controller.

When I turn my boat around in a tight spot the speed drops dramatically!

Mikey
08-11-2008, 06:41 PM
Two blown modules later,I think all the bugs are worked out.I now have to say I really enjoy having the PP.For the sake of wakeboarding ez cruise was alright but as others have said for Slalom skiing its the only way to go.I enjoy it and my wife and or kids can drive and easily give me nice consistent pulls.We don't bother programming names as settings are quick and easy to set.My only other dislike was the initial calibrating which takes a little bit of time,but is now well worth it.Dealer installed mine and i was charged 2 hrs labour.My .02 worth.

Laz
08-11-2008, 06:56 PM
Deafgoose, if you decide to get PP, let me know I'll give you some installation advice. It took me an hour and I'm no mechanic. Amazingly, it worked as soon as I was done.

You can email me at l (dot) klein (at) utoronto.ca

Laz

Sled491
08-11-2008, 07:40 PM
DG, hands down PP is better than EZ cruise. I ordered my boat with PP and my buddy got his 06 with the EZ cruize. There is no way someone familiar with the 2 products can say they are the same. There are some simple similarities like the bith allow you to take you hand off of the throttle but that's where it ends.

Our PP is programed for all skiers, one spot for tubing and one for surfing. It's easy once you learn it to navigate around and it is consistant unlike EZ cruise which is only as consistant as the guy/gal setting it. That's why PP is called the marriage saver:)

Your 08 should be plug and go, all harness and paddle wheel pick ups should be there.