PDA

View Full Version : removing floor panel

Chris_B
08-10-2008, 03:03 AM
I recently bought an '02 Outback. I can't seem to get the floor panel out that's aft of the engine. I took the two screws out and the front lifts up, but I can't slide it forward from under the seat.

mimoomba
08-10-2008, 11:33 AM
It will take a lot of working back and forth to get it out. It just takes patience. Wait till you ahve to put it back:)

BensonWdby
08-11-2008, 09:18 PM
I have a 99 Mobius which is probably close to the same design. You might try pushing ever so slightly in on the base of the seat (at your own risk) .

As far as putting it back in. I have a large wrench I use for the jam nuts. To put the floor back in place I get it as flat as it will go up against the back seat and then use the wrench as a lever between a solid part of the engine and the edge of the floor panel. Boy am I glad I figured that one out.

MOOMBA_97
08-12-2008, 11:12 AM
Does yours have large power wires running through it? That is the problem I'm having.

Monty

jettrack
08-12-2008, 02:26 PM
Just did this last weekend with limited tools while I was at a Mountain Lake and the packing started to leak. What you need to do after removing the two screws is to oben the seat the the rear of the engine and pry the plate gently forward at the seam that you will see under the seat. This takes a bit of prying but the plate is metal and can take a little force. A pry bar would be best though the only tools I had at my disposal were a screwdriver and a hammer.
Putting it back takes a little force also, I used the engine mounts and wedged a small board and pryed it with that. One of the problems that prevents the plate from sliding is built up sand in the seams.

Good luck, I have the exact same boat as you and was able to conquer this chore.

Jeff

Chris_B
08-13-2008, 01:29 AM
JWhat you need to do after removing the two screws is to oben the seat the the rear of the engine and pry the plate gently forward at the seam that you will see under the seat.

Open the seat? Do you mean the trunk? I can't open the actual seat. The cushion slides out, but then it's solid fiberglass under that. I'm not sure how that would help since the floor panel is at least two feet forward of the trunk.

jettrack
08-13-2008, 05:59 PM
Chris,

On my 02 Outback I have a seat directly behind the engine cover that flips open for storage, when I flip the seat open and remove all the storage items I can access the floor pannel. I have a direct drive and assumed that you did to. Anyway that is how I got to my panel, sorry this does not help you.

Jeff

Chris_B
08-13-2008, 06:38 PM
Chris,

On my 02 Outback I have a seat directly behind the engine cover that flips open for storage, when I flip the seat open and remove all the storage items I can access the floor pannel. I have a direct drive and assumed that you did to. Anyway that is how I got to my panel, sorry this does not help you.

Jeff

That's strange, mine is the DD as well. Directly behind the engine is the panel I'm talking about. It slips under the rear most seat, which is a bench style facing forward. That seat cushion can lift/slide out, but there's no storage under it. Behind that is a padded sundeck that opens to the "trunk." The floor panels in the trunk lead to the rutter. Between the rear bench seat and the sundeck is the fuel tank.

mimoomba
08-14-2008, 09:13 AM
That's strange, mine is the DD as well. Directly behind the engine is the panel I'm talking about. It slips under the rear most seat, which is a bench style facing forward. That seat cushion can lift/slide out, but there's no storage under it. Behind that is a padded sundeck that opens to the "trunk." The floor panels in the trunk lead to the rutter. Between the rear bench seat and the sundeck is the fuel tank.

Chris, If you take the seat cushion out and see the floor panel your trying to remove, then you have the same thing as me, and also what Jeff is talking about.:wink:

jettrack
08-14-2008, 12:08 PM
Chris,

Sounds like the same boat design, what is under the seat when you lift it, can you see the floor carpet or did they do something goofy like make the bottom of your seat out of fiberglass covering the carpet. I have the trunk behind the seat also, but on my boat the floor is accessable under the seat, and you can access the back of the panel there.

Jeff

Chris_B
08-14-2008, 11:10 PM
If I pull the seat cushion out, there's solid fiberglass under it. There's a small drain hole in the starboard aft corner, but other than that, it's a solid piece with the walls.

I'll try to take a pic.

Chris_B
08-16-2008, 11:10 PM
Here's what I was referring to as the design of my rear seat. in the picture, the removed cushion is leaning against the port-side bulkhead, the exposed fiberglass can be seen as well as the engine cover.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b8d637b3127ccec4b4e136252600000040O00JbMWLRqyZA9 vPg4/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D480/ry%3D320/

Also, I finally got the floor panel out and back in. I use my wooden oar to jam it in a little under the seat, then use the panel to lift the seat edge and jam a large flat screwdriver under it as a wedge. This gives me a enough space to work the panel back in. It was a good thing since I realized that without the engine running, I have a 3/8" stream of water flowing in around my packing!

ekeldahl
06-04-2012, 03:32 PM
I just bought a 2000 outback and am going through the same thing. Are you saying that there arent 2 screws under the seat? It should just slide out one the 2 screws by the engine cover are removed?
Thanks,
Erik