PDA

View Full Version : Hole in Block!!! HELP!

2000OUTBACK
08-08-2008, 11:57 PM
Well I tried to put my boat in for the first time this afternoon....... I did find out I ave a hole in the block. How does this happen.... The boat has 65 hours on it... Here are the pics.

OldeBoy
08-09-2008, 07:56 AM
Improper or no winterization?

jmvotto
08-09-2008, 08:24 AM
i would be talkin to the seller ASAP, obviously this was not disclosed, a boat with 65 hrs on it in the this condition. it looks like it has been sitting for a couple years. i hope you got a super deal, it could get expensive now.:eek:

wolfeman131
08-09-2008, 09:10 AM
DANG! This stinks. Guess we know why the guy didn't want to run it for Kane . . .

Hope the guy steps up and makes things right. I bought a Sea Doo in Feb from a guy who said, "It runs great!" Nice guy, nice family, etc. but the entire pump system, wear ring, etc had to be replaced for over $1,000. I asked the guy to just split the cost with me and he told me he sold it "As is. No warranty." That was it. Real a$$. I told him as a man, he should be embarrassed.

Good luck. Let us know how things work out.

maxpower220
08-09-2008, 10:19 AM
Based on the rust around the exhaust, the spark plugs, and the block, I would guess that the boat has sat in unprotected areas in high humidity and/or was run in salt/brackish water without flushing. You will need a new block, but if the block has that much rust it would seem that all of the engine components would be in a similar condition.
If you got a really good deal on the boat, a $4-5K engine may not be too bad. I would suspect that with that kind of repair cost plus the boat, you could be into a boat with no problems.

cab13367
08-09-2008, 11:47 AM
Did you actually buy the boat without taking it for a test drive and have a mechanic check it out?

mimoomba
08-09-2008, 12:09 PM
Man that just sucks, I'm not trying to harp on you, but I have to ask like the others, didn't you take it out and hear it run before buying? The seller didn't have to disclose anything to you, but I just can't understand how people that do this stuff sleep at night.

2000OUTBACK
08-10-2008, 02:55 AM
Well to answer all the questions.... Yes I did buy before I drove it.... I will not do that again.... BUT it was a problem with schedules doing a test run. I thought with only 65 hours it would be fine but I was wrong!!!! I hope the guy did not know this problem was there because if he did that would be real crappy!!!! He told me it ran out great! No known problems...... I did try to call him today and did not get a answer.

OK the kinda good news.... I fixed the cracked block with Quick Steel
link: http://www.motorshop1.co.uk/quiksteel.asp and for the time we drove it today it worked. I do think the engine has a lot of rust and crap build up due to the color on the block, but at least me,wife,and kids got to enjoy it today.

zabooda
08-11-2008, 12:38 AM
Glad you were able to use it. Hopefully you can get by until winter when you can probably get a better price in rebuilding the engine. There are a some threads on this website that addresses cracked blocks from poor winterization so you have company with others. With 65 hours on a 2000, I would think the engine failure occured the first year or two so make sure the other parts are good such as the carburator and tranny.

bobwells
08-11-2008, 11:45 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MerCruiser-Marine-Engine-1996-2008-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742Q2em153Q2el1262 QQcategoryZ50442QQihZ018QQitemZ280253477869

this should fix you up... sorry for such mis-fortune, It's sad if this guy did this knowingly. If he didnt let you know up front he certainly oughta be willing to absorb a large portion of the shock, either way.... i would

pickle311
08-11-2008, 01:59 PM
I don't know if I would trust that quick steel, but it may work fine for a while. I would hook up a fake a lake in the drive way and run it for a while. If there is rust inside, a lot of it will come loose. I would do several oil changes in an attempt to save the valves, pistons, rings, cylinder walls, and crank shaft. Maybe run it for an hour in the driveway, then drain the oil. I would do that 3 or 4 times or until you drain the oil and it comes out clean. That may last you until winter.

2000OUTBACK
08-13-2008, 12:27 AM
I don't know if I would trust that quick steel, but it may work fine for a while. I would hook up a fake a lake in the drive way and run it for a while. If there is rust inside, a lot of it will come loose. I would do several oil changes in an attempt to save the valves, pistons, rings, cylinder walls, and crank shaft. Maybe run it for an hour in the driveway, then drain the oil. I would do that 3 or 4 times or until you drain the oil and it comes out clean. That may last you until winter.

That is a good thought to change the oil- I did not even think to do that.

Well the Quick Steel held up so far. We took it out Saturday and Sunday and so far so good!!! I am just trying to make it till the bating season is up then I will save this winter for a new motor.

bobwells
08-14-2008, 10:29 PM
I would assume hole is in a water circulation jacket from a freeze, thereby not able to reach oil gallies, enternal engine parts etc. may work fine for a while or heck even a long time, probally even better if not a closed cooling system, this way it wont build up alot of pressure. If it had access to engine internals you'd have milk(water in oil) for oil... all of us will have rusty water gallies ... cast iorn + water = rust...

kaneboats
08-15-2008, 09:33 AM
I have an uncle that used to make a repair like that on a block and use it for years and years. It will definitely help that the system isn't under pressure. It might last you a long time.

2000OUTBACK
08-16-2008, 01:29 AM
Hopefully it will last a while.... I just ordered a tower thursday and would like to use it a few times this year......