PDA

View Full Version : Quieter boat

NH Moomba
11-07-2003, 09:21 PM
Has anyone ever tried to make their boat quieter? There is a lot of engine and exhaust noise on my 2000 MPI Outback LS. Is there any sort of secondary muffler that can be installed? Is there room to add soundproofing foam (Boat US sells a kit) on the inside of the motor shell? Is it safe? I'd be happy to give up a few HP if we could carry on a conversation at any sort of cruising speed. The more expensive boats all seem quieter with their upholstered engine covers. Of course not 10K quieter!

waterboy
11-08-2003, 03:00 AM
My 2001 Outback seems fairly quiet but I like the idea of adding the insulation. Here's a link to a Florida company that specializes in this...they have sound deadening products for marine applications. Prices seem better than the boating catalogs. Great idea!

http://www.soundstop.com/soundstop.htm

Brian

NH Moomba
11-08-2003, 08:59 AM
Thanks. This company seems to have just what I am looking for. Now to see if there is clearance to install it. Any thoughts on quiter mufflers?

Andy

waterboy
11-14-2003, 05:02 AM
I just ordered a sheet of the 1" foam from them, along with the aluminized tape. I'll let you know how it works after the installation.

Brian

NH Moomba
11-14-2003, 09:31 PM
Is it the foam kind with the sheet of high density plastic sandwiched inside? I can't wait to hear how it works. I plan on installing some when the snow melts.

Andyjavascript:smilie(':p');
javascript:smilie(':p');

waterboy
11-18-2003, 05:24 AM
Yup, that's the stuff. It just came today. I don't think the one 12 square foot sheet will do the whole box, but we'll see how far it goes. With the tape and some spray glue I had to purchase, it was around 100 bucks. Not too bad for a quieter boat.

Brian

NH Moomba
11-18-2003, 08:05 PM
Can't wait to hear how well it works and how far the material goes. I'm guessing you might need another couple of sheets.

Andy

waterboy
12-01-2003, 04:01 PM
I installed the soundproofing the other day...it took less than an hour. The motorbox on my Outback has carpeting all the way around the base, extending up 6 inches or so. I decided to skip that area, and the back of the box where the upholstery for the viewing seat is.
The 12 square foot sheet was JUST enough to cover the rest of the box...I used 3M Spray 90 glue, which works great. The soundproofing is pretty heavy, but the glue holds it no problem.
I bought a roll of aluminized tape that was recommended by the company, but didn't use it. The seams weren't that bad, I didn't think the tape would make much difference sound wise.
Took the boat for a test ride and it is quieter, especially at idle but I really can't say how much. Certainly worth spending 75 bucks or so for the materials. I'm sure doing every inch of the motor box would produce better results, and I think 2 sheets would be more than enough for that.

Good luck whichever way you go!

Brian

NH Moomba
12-01-2003, 08:04 PM
As soon as spring comes and I get my boat hauled up here from Maryland, I'm gonna give it a try. I take it there were no interferences between the foam and any motor parts? To bad we can't post pictures here.

Andy

waterboy
12-02-2003, 03:14 AM
No, no interference with engine parts. Doing the base of the box might be a different story, though.

Brian

pjtatro
12-02-2003, 12:13 PM
Where in NH are you?

NH Moomba
12-02-2003, 08:09 PM
We have a small summer cottage on Crystal Lake in Gilmanton Iron Works N.H.

Andy

pjtatro
12-02-2003, 09:28 PM
I have no idea where that is. I grew up in Winchendon MA and used to ski on lake Monomonack. Still visit my brother in Keene. We have a longer season in Virginia, our last outing was Nov 1. Just winterized the boat last week.

NH Moomba
12-02-2003, 10:31 PM
Gilmanton is in the lakes region. About 7 miles west of Alton Bay - the southernmost tip of lake Winnipesaukee. Keene is probably an hour or so away. I live in Hopkinton MA.

Wish we had a longer season here as well. I plan on installing a shower in the boat next spring. That should extend things a bit. I skied a few years ago behind a freinds Tige on Halloween. Filling the wetsuit with warm water first made a huge difference.

Andy