PDA

View Full Version : Heavy people

sextons
11-03-2003, 12:05 PM
What's the heaviest person anyone's pulled out of the water behind their Moomba? I ran into a football player who saw my Mobius LSV and want's to go for a pull next spring. He's over 300lbs., think I'll have any problems getting him up? How about the tower how much weight do you think they stress test them with?????

BensonWdby
11-03-2003, 05:14 PM
Welll they use AWSA approved boats to pull show skiers doing pyramids, I am thinking these boats should easily be able to pull 5 people on two skis out of the water no problems. The way my 99 Mobius pulls me I would not worry about it. Especially on a wake board. For his sake make sure he understands how to start correctly.

Cryonchick
11-04-2003, 06:51 AM
I wouldn't think that it would be a problem. I've pulled 3-4 people at a time behaind mine with no issues. Also I've been pulled behind boats with towers, myself and another guy, we easily were 400 plus in weight, with no issues.

Yellowmobius
11-04-2003, 02:04 PM
Part it all would be his skill level. Is he going to drag for a a half a mile or does he know how to get up?

sextons
11-04-2003, 02:07 PM
I don't think he's every tried wakeboarding yet but he can ski pretty well (so he says). He's pretty athletic so I'm curious to see what he can do. I'll try to bring a camera and put up some pics if he's any good, it might be funny to see what a 6-4 300lb guy can do on a board.

SMUMATTMAN
11-04-2003, 03:18 PM
I taught a similar size guy to wakeboard this summer and had no problems, with the boat that is. Biggest issue was being a big strong guy he tried to muscle his way up. Tell him to relax and let the boat do the work, and concentrate on board position.

2FAST20
11-07-2003, 03:08 PM
Make sure you have a good rope. This summer I tried pulling one of my buddies up on a board. He broke my rope, so I tried another, he broke that too! Granted they were older ropes, but it was one of the funniest things I saw all summer.

11-22-2003, 10:17 AM
Now come on, you think a 310 HP or more boat cant pull up a 300 pound guy. SO you know im 6'8 and around 300 and get pulled on lesser boats. I guess theres not many ppl my sized that do wakeboard but i go out every week and pull the same stuff they do, its all in your motavation. Just thought i would add my comment from a big guy :)

BensonWdby
11-22-2003, 07:47 PM
This rope thing is amusing at best. I have much personal experience with breaking equipment. In my past 30 years of skiing I can take credit (at a measly 170 pounds for most of this) for breaking the following:

3 ropes - broken or unthreaded

2 handles - broke them right in half in my hands during a pull.

1 Life belt - old style - don't ever ski with one of theses - this one almost killed me.

1 ensolite life vest - split right in half during a crash - resurfaced about 20 feet away in two pieces.

3 Cable/pulley tow harnesses (keep the rope out of the outboard), both the cables (crimp collars) and the floats. The hard plastic floats practically explode when they break around the pulley axel.

1 Tripod mounted tow pylon - ripped it right out of the boat, all three legs and mounting hardware. Left some pretty nasty holes in the top deck of the guys boat where the support legs were attached. Had to drag the lake with an anchor to find the rope and pull it up.

Interestingly enough I have never really broken any part of the ski. However I did put 7 stitches in between my little toe and the one next to it. Not quite sure how that worked, must have been the fin...

I think that is a bout it, but whose counting....
Dave