PDA

View Full Version : If not a Moomba, what would it be?

Moomba XLV GG 2007
08-05-2008, 03:37 PM
Hi ,
I'm new in the forum. Im from Canada. I've been riding for 2years now. Just for fun, i was wondering what boat would u buy if moomba doesnt exist...or what boat do you think if better than moomba...or simply whats your dreaming boat?
Thanks!!

moombadaze
08-05-2008, 04:03 PM
One of the guys on this board asked me if i had thought of buying a different brand boat when i got my 08. Answer was no i did not even think of any other brands. Ive had a few boats also in the past. Hopefully this will be my last boat.....but is there even such a boat, thought my last one would be my last boat but that did not happen.

MOOMBA_97
08-05-2008, 04:09 PM
Mastercraft X-Star, Sorry guys.

Monty

tlatoani
08-05-2008, 04:10 PM
I looked a Super Air Nautiques. To get one in decent condition I'd have to go older and have a lot more hours compared to my XLV. And it's quite a bit smaller. It was no contest as far as value.

If money is no object? Mastercraft x80. I like em big.

maxpower220
08-05-2008, 04:14 PM
Mastercraft X-Star, Sorry guys.

Monty

Don't be sorry. I wanted/want another MC, but too much money.

kaneboats
08-05-2008, 04:17 PM
Oh, goodness, don't even ask zegm this one! BMW doesn't make a boat, right?

Razzman
08-05-2008, 04:20 PM
Being realistic as money is an object (X80 ... RIGHT! :p), we were actually going to buy a used boat when we purchased the LSV. A 2005 Sanger V215 to be exact.

Buuutttt, we were offered such a killer deal (one that i couldn't repeat before my dealer went belly up :() on a '07 holdover that my wife decided we couldn't pass it up. New boat, warranty and more than we wanted! So we took a demo ride, we both drove the boat and the rest is history. :D

Moomba XLV GG 2007
08-05-2008, 04:21 PM
The only thing i found out in moomba which disappoint me is the finition. Just look the mastercraft x-45 or x-80 :)))) you can see a major diference between the two boat. I know that moomba's are cheaper but anyway, i just wanted to have your opinions on that.

I would probably go with a mastercraft or supra if i had the money too!

kaneboats
08-05-2008, 04:27 PM
I'm with tlatoani. It would be a much older boat for the $$$$$. I was looking for an older Supra that needed some serious cosmetic work when I discovered Moomba was more for the budget end of the inboard game. I would have to take what I could get out of Nautique, Supra or Mastercraft. I would just have to have open bow. If money was no object I'd still go with a Moomba like the XLV b/c I couldn't bear buying anything else new. I'd take the savings and upgrade the Suburban.

tprkolbas
08-05-2008, 04:32 PM
i hear the super air nautique throws a killer wake and i like the interior setup. but i also like the pickle fork nose on the mastercraft x-2. if money wasn't an object, it would be one of those two. money is an object to me so i'm happy with my lsv in the meantime.

04OUTBACK
08-05-2008, 04:35 PM
^^^^
I ride with 2 friends. 1 is 07 X-30 and 08 X Star.. Both Fancier than my LSV.. no question..
BUT, the fancies about those boats aren't necessary...
Kinda like I drive a Tahoe... a Yukon Denali is nicer and so is an Escalade.
I could not beat down either the X-30 or the XStar I have ridden in.. but, I like my payment better than theirs!
If I were gonna upgrade today, I would probably go with Supra 21V or 22SSV

I hear lots of comments on wakeworld about...:"fit and finish" of other boats.
I expect Quality with my Moomba.. I want it to look nice, but it does not have to have all the bling..

07-08 MCs have smart timers on their ballast pumps.. both guys I ride with have trouble with them cutting off...

As to the comment above about having to buy a much older CC to get in price range, I looked at a 99 SAN when I got my 04 Outback.. they were same price.. I had a hard time paying same for a 5 yr older boat..

They are all great boats (Malibu, MC, CC, Tige). But I think some of them have gotten out of hand in pricing. Even if money was not an issue, I would have trouble paying what some of the high end boats are commanding now..

Wife likes the LSV too much now anyway.. not an option.. She got mad last August when i sold the Outback after 1 year... told I better have her another boat by the next weekend.. Now, she says the LSV is not goin anywhere!

jetpilot
08-05-2008, 04:39 PM
SAN210 Team without a doubt! I like mine though!

SoTX
08-05-2008, 04:47 PM
Calabria Pro V

ian ashton
08-05-2008, 05:08 PM
The only thing i found out in moomba which disappoint me is the finition. Just look the mastercraft x-45 or x-80 :)))) you can see a major diference between the two boat. I know that moomba's are cheaper but anyway, i just wanted to have your opinions on that.

I would probably go with a mastercraft or supra if i had the money too!

You must not have looked at the MC's very closely. When we were looking at boats we compared the Mastercraft Prostar 197 with our Outback and while the MC had more 'stuff' the fit and finish was not nearly as nice as the Outback, which suprised us imensely. Moomba/Supra interior construcion is second to none, every part and panel is hand fit to make sure they look great. The new MC's we looked at had more of an assembly line feel, which big gaps and crooked seams.

ian ashton
08-05-2008, 05:10 PM
Calabria Pro V

There are 2 Calabria boats on our lake, one white & yellow, and one red, black, and white. They are BADASS looking boats!

jmvotto
08-05-2008, 05:29 PM
Probably the supra if moomba did not exist, and tige or centurion if SC did not exist, Kinda like the Denali and the tahoe, we own one of each :p, talk about gas mileage issues, moomba plus these two beasts.
:shock:

gcombe74
08-05-2008, 05:36 PM
I have to say this is the oddest post I have read in 2 years....

Here is my reality. I live in a climate that is frigid cold from Oct to March as many of you live in... and I assume most of you make payments during those months... so even if money is not object its still in some way not all that practical to own and have sitting a 70k boat? yah it looks cool?

Here was another thing that really drove me to a moomba..... when I first got my 04 people around here said... Moomba... what the hell is that... I like obscurity... the not everyone has one type of item. when I say my boat is similiar to a malibu the lights come on... lol

For me personally.. If I can afford a supra the next time around I will go that way.. but I see XLV as my next boat in about 3 years just because it does sit in the winter so long and my kids will be getting bigger.

JesseC
08-05-2008, 05:56 PM
My choice...NOTHING!

I would just swim and paddle around on my tube. After that I would move to Tennessee and start a boat manufacturing company based on a very strange kangaroo and hire Larry to supply engines for them....wait...this wasn't very helpful was it???

AaronWhitt82
08-05-2008, 05:56 PM
I would have to go with a MB Sports B52 or Tomcat, or a Supra or maybe a BU. Hmmm

csmsk
08-05-2008, 06:21 PM
I'd probably go with a Malibu Wakesetter, but first I'd cry and bitch and moan a little about not being able to get another LSV :( !!!

tazz3069
08-05-2008, 06:26 PM
I had two choices to make Either the Moomba or the SangerV215. I had gone to the Sanger Dealer two weeks before I went to the Moomba dealer. I was so set on the Sanger for the money. When I was going to Arizona, I past a Moomba dealer in Boulder City. I found my boat which I own now. When I upgrade, I will be getting the Supra 22SSV. I really like the seating arrangement in it and how much space to store stuff. I Love my boat, do not get me wrong. I need more space to store all the boards, wake surf boards, two skiis, Tubes, Coolers. It's kind of hard to store stuff in the rear compartments with 750lb bag, full of water, back there. I thought of getting the Z-Cargo rack. But because of my new speaker light bar, the Bimini would hit. If I lower it, it would fit. The only problem with that is now the top is too low. I can't win for loosing. LOL. I still think the SC boats are a better bang for the buck. I have a friend who os paying over $800.00 a month for his boat. That is almost 2.5 times more than what I pay for my boat and more than what I pay for the motorhome. CRAZY!!

zegm
08-05-2008, 07:57 PM
Oh that is an easy one!!!
A MasterCraft X-14 with the (I hope Kaneboats doesn't get mad at me here but the wife has a TDI Jetta and well it is her boat!) Volkswagon V-10 TDI diesel engine! Moomba should be proud that MC copied the LS!!!

bamaspiveys
08-05-2008, 10:42 PM
Supra or Malibu and my next boat will be a Vdrive somewhere in the 23 to 24 foot range.

MC and CC prices are just way out of hand!

tazz3069
08-05-2008, 10:54 PM
I went to the my Moomba dealer the other day. Looking at a new 09' Supra 22SSV. We were talking about Malbu's, Mastercraft, and so on. He pulled out a few of their brochures. Of course all the brochures had all the bells and whisltes on them. But if you look closly at the pictures, Some of the bells and whisltse are not actually on the boat. They are advertised as standard features on the boat. Funny!!!

wolfeman131
08-05-2008, 11:08 PM
We were serious about the Tige' 24Ve, but I'm glad to not have that payment now with gas at almost $4.00/gal.

Kidder
08-05-2008, 11:26 PM
If the Moomba wasn't so affordable I'd probably still be in our Sea Ray 195.

jester
08-05-2008, 11:38 PM
Before i got my OBV i looked at all the different types of boats. I really love my Moomba and would of been sad if i did not have it. But if i could not have Moomba it would of been Malibu V Ride. The wakesetter i took for a test just did not handle as well as the Moomba and took forever to turn.

Sled491
08-05-2008, 11:44 PM
In a perfect world, I had to stop there and rethink what I was about to say. I think as a skiier I've got a great boat. If money were no object, I would keep my AWSA certified ski boat, and pick up a Supra 22SSV for surfing. Pontoon is for hanging out, swimming and grilling. More the merrier! Never enough toys!

deafgoose
08-06-2008, 01:06 AM
If price was no object the Supra Launch 24 SSV with World Package graphics is by far my favorite boat. The Mastercraft X-star is a close second.

If price is a factor no other brands intrested me. Moomba offers amazing value for the money.

Hootreville
08-06-2008, 01:24 AM
I would probobly go with a Supra. They have really stepped it up in the last few years. Malibu would most likely be my second choice.

jmvotto
08-06-2008, 07:50 AM
second thought, I get one of these bad boys if money were not an issue.
Drink bourbon and smoke a pipe. LOL:p 1931 30ft hackercraft Talk about big Pimpin right there!!!:D

Reese350
08-06-2008, 08:19 AM
MB Sports F23 Tomcat (http://www.mbsports.net/model_view.asp?model=f23tomcat)

For me, no reason to even look unless Moomba's get too expensive. They have found an underserved sweetspot (right mix of function/finish/price) in the market that allows them to reach a broader market than most inboard mfgs. Let's hope they continue to exploit that niche forever even after they erode significant marketshare from everyone else.

At the current pricepoint, I can't imagine why anyone would buy anything else unless you get caught up in the illusion that higher price equals a better boat. I tell everyone that will listen about my 06 LSV and will likely upgrade (to another Moomba) this winter.

My .02